Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2007 4:05:54 PM EDT
i am looking to replace my upper.  could i use the same bolt and carrier from my old upper in my new upper?

thanks!
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 4:09:42 PM EDT
[#1]
if the bolt and carrier are in good condition, and you are using your old barrel, i dont see why not.  maybe if you want, you can even rebuild the bolt and give it a good once over.  just a thought though.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 4:11:49 PM EDT
[#2]
i will be replacing the 20" barrel with a 16" barrel.  will this cause a problem?
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 4:27:12 PM EDT
[#3]

any info please?
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:55:48 PM EDT
[#4]
where are you buying the barrel from?  usually when you buy a new barrel, you get a new bolt that has been correctly headspaced with that specific barrel.   have you asked whomever your buying the barrel if it is comming with a new bolt?  the carrier should be fine as long as you have properly cleaned and maintained it.  buy the way, just cause, where are you buying the barrelfrom and from whom?
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:14:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Just have the headspace checked with the bolt/carrier you plan to use. Evidently you want to swap your bolt/carrier back and forth between the two uppers, so don't modify the bolt to work with the new one - any adjustment must be done to the new upper. Chances are it will work fine with both uppers with no work needed.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:59:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Not a problem.  I've switched several bolts and carriers between various rifles and new builds.

As long as you don't have ten thousand rounds on your bolt, I wouldn't worry about it for a second.

Some people are more paranoid than me though.  I wouldn't even know HOW to check the headspace on an AR.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:24:15 AM EDT
[#7]
thanks for all the info everyone!  yeah i just want to keep my lower and switch back and forth from full size to carbine (using the same bolt and carrier). if this is possible.  ill just have to see.  thanks again!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top