Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2007 4:51:43 PM EDT
*I'd prefer the trader not post here so that I may gain an "unbiased" opinion Thank you!*

I'm in discussions for a trade but I have no experience with COLT, value, or 9mm ARs in general.
The guy is including all you see below plus the original cleaning kit, manual, and original hand guards/delta ring.
Also states 98% condition.

Can someone guess a value of this package?
I realize the upper is pretty much 9mm for life, what about the lower? If I decided to switch it over to 5.56, would that be doable?
Is this a large hole lower? Could I buy a RRA 9mm upper for it if I decided to go with a flattop/SBR upper?
Any info on those mags reliability wise?

Should I complete the trade and trade it again to a proper COLT fan?

Thanks guys!

*ETA* Does anyone know any differences between the 6450 and 6430 model numbers?
*ETA 2* PICS! I'm an idiot!

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 4:59:23 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
*I'd prefer the trader not post here so that I may gain an "unbiased" opinion Thank you!*

I'm in discussions for a trade but I have no experience with COLT, value, or 9mm ARs in general.
The guy is including all you see below plus the original cleaning kit, manual, and original hand guards/delta ring.

I realize the upper is pretty much 9mm for life, what about the lower? If I decided to switch it over to 5.56, would that be doable?
Is this a large hole lower? Could I buy a RRA 9mm upper for it if I decided to go with a flattop/SBR upper?

Thanks guys!

If it's a true preban you will be paying premium price for it, you live in Utah and don't need a preban, leave it for the banned states.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 5:20:31 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If it's a true preban you will be paying premium price for it, you live in Utah and don't need a preban, leave it for the banned states.

ZW17: The serial # checks out as PRE ban. As for paying a premium price, I'm trading an engagement ring for it that I bought years ago. I never used the ring and WILL never use it so if I lose money on it, I'm okay with it by this point. Even though I might not necessarily need the PRE ban, it will be easier to trade for a different AR in the future if I decide I don't love it. I mean, it's COLT, people are freaks for COLTs so I shouldn't have any trouble finding it a new home should I decide not to keep it.

ETA: Thank you though, any input at all is helpful
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 5:58:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ZW17: The serial # checks out as PRE ban. As for paying a premium price, I'm trading an engagement ring for it that I bought years ago. I never used the ring and WILL never use it so if I lose money on it, I'm okay with it by this point. Even though I might not necessarily need the PRE ban, it will be easier to trade for a different AR in the future if I decide I don't love it. I mean, it's COLT, people are freaks for COLTs so I shouldn't have any trouble finding it a new home should I decide not to keep it.

ETA: Thank you though, any input at all is helpful

Hey, if the item you are trading means nothing to you I guess it realy wouldn't matter. No one likes losing money though.

If your ring is worth that much why not just sell it yourself and then but the gun you want outright and then buy some ammo or a glass for your new piece?

I just moved from NY so I know the premium prices put on prebans. You could save 30% just living in a free state.

BTW - I own a noban colt 9mm.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:04:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Just save your money and buy a Colt with pre-ban features, that doesn't have the pre-ban-that no longer exists price.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:07:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If your ring is worth that much why not just sell it yourself and then but the gun you want outright and then buy some ammo or a glass for your new piece?

Oh trust me, I've been trying, it's not that easy to sell a ring apparently! I've decided a trade will suffice since I would probably be using the money for another AR anyway

Quoted:
BTW - I own a noban colt 9mm.

That's great, maybe you might be able to answer some of those questions I had?
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:13:46 PM EDT
[#6]
The 6430 is a large hole lower.
The 6450 is not.
The rifle you have there is a small hole lower - large holes have a set-screw instead of pushpins at the front.

The value of the package is maybe a grand.
It used to be a pre-ban rifle - so what?
There is no AWB.

To use 5.56mm in the lower, you would have to drill the pins holding the mag well in out.
Don't do this - just buy a 5.56mm lower.
They are cheap.

You could do use an RRA 9mm upper on it if you decide to go flattop.

If the mags are Colt, they are very reliable and very expensive.
After looking at the pics, I believe the two on the left are colt mags.
The waffle looking one's in the center are pro-mag, IIRC.
The one on the far right is an UZI mag modified to work in an AR.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:24:20 PM EDT
[#7]
thedoctors308: thanks a ton for that information.

Quoted:
The 6450 is not.
The rifle you have there is a small hole lower - large holes have a set-screw instead of pushpins at the front.

Thank you, good to know that!

Quoted:
The value of the package is maybe a grand.
It used to be a pre-ban rifle - so what?
There is no AWB.

True, no more AWB, especially here in Utah. Just giving all specs I know about it for more clarity.

Quoted:
To use 5.56mm in the lower, you would have to drill the pins holding the mag well in out.
Don't do this - just buy a 5.56mm lower.
They are cheap.

So I'd have to ruin it? they wouldn't just tap out with a punch?

Quoted:
You could do use an RRA 9mm upper on it if you decide to go flattop.

good to know

Quoted:If the mags are Colt, they are very reliable and very expensive.
You did not indicate what mags they are though.

6 mags, 2 UZI converts, 2 COLT LEO 32 rounders, and 2 Polymers by... ?
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:36:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Polymer mags look to be made by Pro-Mag.
No idea of their rep.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:59:39 PM EDT
[#9]
New Colt 6450s are running $1200 to $1500 when you can find them.  That free float rail in the picture appears to be a KAC, which if it is real would run you close to $300 new.

The pins in the receiver holding the magazine block on my Colt 6450 are roll pins and can be knocked out with a punch and a mallet.

The Pro-mag magazines have caused numerous failures to feed in my 6450.  The Colt mags are the way to go, but they are not cheap!
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:25:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Thats a Colt R6450 and more desirable than the R6430 as the R6430 does not have a collapsible stock or a bayo-lug and is not marked AR15 like the R6450. The gun in the pic is worth at least $1200.00 in my opinion.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:11:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
That free float rail in the picture appears to be a KAC, which if it is real would run you close to $300 new.

How can I tell real from airsoft?

Quoted:
The pins in the receiver holding the magazine block on my Colt 6450 are roll pins and can be knocked out with a punch and a mallet.

Have you done this personally or just appears that way?

Thank you guys for the info, great insight
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 8:06:37 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That free float rail in the picture appears to be a KAC, which if it is real would run you close to $300 new.

How can I tell real from airsoft?

Quoted:

Have you done this personally or just appears that way?

Thank you guys for the info, great insight

When I first bought my 6450 I personally took a punch and mallet to one of the roll pins to see how difficult it would be to remove them.  The pins are in there snug, but with a couple of firm hits on the punch the roll pin starts to move out.

Here are a couple of pics of an authentic KAC rail for you to compare to.

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 8:13:45 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Thanks guys!

mail.afconnect.com/~joffret/Pics/colt1.jpg
mail.afconnect.com/~joffret/Pics/colt2.jpg
mail.afconnect.com/~joffret/Pics/colt3.jpg
mail.afconnect.com/~joffret/Pics/colt4.jpg
mail.afconnect.com/~joffret/Pics/colt5.jpg
mail.afconnect.com/~joffret/Pics/colt6.jpg
mail.afconnect.com/~joffret/Pics/colt7.jpg

brand new ones  Specialized Armament Warehouse   http://www.specializedarmament.com/
AR6450 AR-15 9MM CARBINE

Price : $1,195.00

Overview
Model AR6450, 9mm Carbine 16in lwt bbl
Description

Model AR6450, 9mm Carbine 16in lwt bbl, field sights (9mm), sliding stock

Individual Officer and Agency (FET out) pricing available    
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 8:26:56 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks guys!

mail.afconnect.com/~joffret/Pics/colt1.jpg
mail.afconnect.com/~joffret/Pics/colt2.jpg
mail.afconnect.com/~joffret/Pics/colt3.jpg
mail.afconnect.com/~joffret/Pics/colt4.jpg
mail.afconnect.com/~joffret/Pics/colt5.jpg
mail.afconnect.com/~joffret/Pics/colt6.jpg
mail.afconnect.com/~joffret/Pics/colt7.jpg

brand new ones  Specialized Armament Warehouse   http://www.specializedarmament.com/
AR6450 AR-15 9MM CARBINE

Price : $1,195.00

Overview
Model AR6450, 9mm Carbine 16in lwt bbl
Description

Model AR6450, 9mm Carbine 16in lwt bbl, field sights (9mm), sliding stock

Individual Officer and Agency (FET out) pricing available    

Don't forget to add shipping and FFL transfer fees to that price.

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 10:37:08 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
When I first bought my 6450 I personally took a punch and mallet to one of the roll pins to see how difficult it would be to remove them.  The pins are in there snug, but with a couple of firm hits on the punch the roll pin starts to move out.

Alright, well maybe I'll just leave them alone so I don't mar/scratch the finish. Thank you.

Quoted:
Here are a couple of pics of an authentic KAC rail for you to compare to.

Well, I can see right away the phone numbers are different. So maybe a fake?
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 11:49:17 AM EDT
[#16]
I know someone thats selling a Colt 9mm AR with a three lug (everything else is original) for 1300.00 in Idaho.  The quotes you are getting sound about right.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:52:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The 6450 is not.

Not all 6450s are small hole.  Mine is large -- uses double screw.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 8:13:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Thank you all for your help and insight, with help, I've found the KAC RAS to be a fake.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 8:34:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 8:41:04 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
That could be a old area code

I've been given a few reasons to believe it to be fake.
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=316969
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top