Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2007 4:13:25 PM EDT
I am selling a 40 round magazine.  Somebody in NY is interested.  I would like to know is it illegal to send it to NY?  Thanks for you input.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 4:18:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Illegal for them, I doubt anything would happen to you though.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 4:20:42 PM EDT
[#2]
It depends.  Is the mag a "preban" mag?  New York's laws allow possession and sale of mags manufactured prior to 9/1/94.  If so it's 100% legal to ship to NY and for the recipient in NY to own it.

If it's not a preban mag, you can still send it to NY but I personally would not recommend it as the recipient may not know the law and can potentially get in trouble for it.

ETA:  And never take advice on NY law from a Texan!!!
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:54:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If it's not a preban mag, you can still send it to NY but I personally would not recommend it as the recipient may not know the law and can potentially get in trouble for it.

Like I said...
I just left out whether or not it's preban.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:02:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I am selling a 40 round magazine.  Somebody in NY is interested.  I would like to know is it illegal to send it to NY?  Thanks for you input.

Nothing will happen to you.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:03:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

probably not... but if the mag was made after the passage of the original AWB in '94, then it would be quite illegal by NYS law.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:06:32 PM EDT
[#6]
As a former resident of NY let me tell you that NOTHING would happen to you. The guy on the other end might take it in the ass but you won't.

That's if it is NOT a preban. Preban is A-OK.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:08:13 PM EDT
[#7]
is there any date of manufacture listed on the mag?
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:10:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

probably not... but if the mag was made before the passage of the original AWB in '94, then it would be quite illegal by NYS law.

You mean "after" right?  Because "before" the AWB would be pre ban, which is ok.

23. "Large capacity ammunition feeding device" means a magazine, belt,
 drum,  feed  strip,  or  similar  device,  manufactured  after September
 thirteenth, nineteen hundred ninety-four
, that has  a  capacity  of,  or
 that  can  be  readily  restored  or  converted to accept, more than ten
 rounds of ammunition; provided, however, that such term does not include
 an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of  operating
 only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:13:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:14:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

probably not... but if the mag was made before the passage of the original AWB in '94, then it would be quite illegal by NYS law.

You mean "after" right?  Because "before" the AWB would be pre ban, which is ok.

23. "Large capacity ammunition feeding device" means a magazine, belt,
 drum,  feed  strip,  or  similar  device,  manufactured  after September
 thirteenth, nineteen hundred ninety-four
, that has  a  capacity  of,  or
 that  can  be  readily  restored  or  converted to accept, more than ten
 rounds of ammunition; provided, however, that such term does not include
 an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of  operating
 only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.

sorry, yes, i meant that it would be illegal if it was made AFTER the AWB.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:33:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
is there any date of manufacture listed on the mag?

There is not a date stamp on them
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 2:12:46 PM EDT
[#12]
It is the responsibility of the buyer to know the laws in their state before buying.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 2:14:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I wouldn't gamble on "nothing happening to you," ask those gunshops that NYC sued about the reach of the Empire State. With Elliot at the wheel now I would not bet against him coming up with some creative charge for someone mailing an illegal magazine into NY.

I agree.  After all, he's a fucking steamroller.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 2:33:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top