Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/23/2007 7:01:42 PM EDT
I've been thinking of picking one up.  Opinions?  Does anyone know who makes the parts and what the quality is like?  

The Complete Spare Parts Kits includes:

1) Field Repair Kit:

(1) AR15/M16 Extractor
(2) Extractor Spring
(2) Extractor Spring Insert
(1) Disconnector
(1) Bolt Gas Rings (set of 3)
(1) Extractor Pin
(1) Firing Pin
(2) Firing Pin Retaining Pins
(1) Bolt Cam Pin
(1) Hammer Spring
(1) Trigger Spring
(1) Ejector/Safety Detent Spring
(1) Magazine Catch Spring
(1) A1 Disconnector Spring

2) Complete Spring Package

Every spring in the gun, including the Buffer Spring. Please specify Pre-Ban TeleStock, or Standard Buffer Spring.

3) Complete Pin & Detent Package

Every pin and detent in the gun, a $13 value if sold separately. Includes: 2 Hammer/Trigger Pins; 2 Front Sight Taper Pins; Firing Pin Retaining Pin; 2 Takedown Pin Detents; Safety Detent; Bolt Catch Plunger; Extractor Pin; Gas Tube Roll Pin; Front Sight Detent; Ejector Pin; Forward Assist Pin; Bolt Catch Pin; Buffer Detent; Trigger Guard Pin.

According to this thread, a spare bolt is good to have.  Is this a good one from Bushmaster?.

I understand the issues of headspace with regards to bolts, so what are your thoughts on carrying a spare bolt?

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 7:58:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I had bought the spring kit and the pin kit early on as the foundation of my repair parts kit.  From there I added extra individual bits as needed when ordering other things.  It's a good idea to have spares of everything, and now that I have 7 ARs, I always keep several of everything in a large clear plastic nut/bolt box.  Bushmaster is fine stuff, haven't had any issues with their springs, triggers, pins.  I have also ordered RRA and DPMS pins/springs too and they work fine also.  Don't forget a spare buffer and buffer spring too if you want a good repair/maintenance kit.

As for bolts I do prefer MP CMT and LMT bolts.  And I always keep a spare BCG in my repair kit.  However, if I ever have a bolt failure, and use the spare, that spare will then stay with that gun and I will order a new spare.  

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:32:49 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I had bought the spring kit and the pin kit early on as the foundation of my repair parts kit.  From there I added extra individual bits as needed when ordering other things.  It's a good idea to have spares of everything, and now that I have 7 ARs, I always keep several of everything in a large clear plastic nut/bolt box.  Bushmaster is fine stuff, haven't had any issues with their springs, triggers, pins.  I have also ordered RRA and DPMS pins/springs too and they work fine also.  Don't forget a spare buffer and buffer spring too if you want a good repair/maintenance kit.

As for bolts I do prefer MP CMT and LMT bolts.  And I always keep a spare BCG in my repair kit.  However, if I ever have a bolt failure, and use the spare, that spare will then stay with that gun and I will order a new spare.  

I hadn't thought of the spare buffer!  Thanks.  The above kit does have the buffer spring, so I'd be set with that.  I like CMT and LTM so I'll look into their bolts.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:33:58 PM EDT
[#3]
A field repair kit is a good place to start on spares. I try to keep a field repair kit, a lower parts kit, and a spare bolt carrier group for every AR I own. But be forewarned, LPK's and BCG's tend to turn into their own AR's very easily.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 2:42:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
A field repair kit is a good place to start on spares. I try to keep a field repair kit, a lower parts kit, and a spare bolt carrier group for every AR I own. But be forewarned, LPK's and BCG's tend to turn into their own AR's very easily.

I learned this the hard way with AK parts kits:  "Oh, I'll keep these two kits for future spare parts."  Yeah, right!
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 4:27:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Isn't that right--a spare parts kit just cost me dearly.

Those Bushamster kits look good, I plan to get those to have in a range kit and get mutiple ones to put some items in the MIAD grip.

Mark
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top