Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2007 4:21:45 AM EDT
I have owned my RRA w/16" middy chrome lined bbl since January.  It has had approximately 800 rounds put through it.  After cleaning it yesterday, I looked down the inside of the bore and noticed a scar or mark on the inside of the barrel.  The mark appears to be located near where the fsb is located.  Has there been other complaints with RRA barrel damage?  I searched and found no similar posts.  I don't believe that it's effecting my accuracy, but I don't want it to start.  Any input?  
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:27:37 AM EDT
[#1]
It is the gas port, it is normal, no worries, shoot it till it smokes..
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:29:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Call Rock River Arms ???????

You might be covered
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:31:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Ok, I looked near the gas port and it appears that there is a bit of a burr there.  I haven't called RRA yet and I don't think I will.  It's not hanging up any patches and it seems that accuracy is not affected.  I just found more info. on this.  Thanks guys.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 4:58:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I think it was Randall at AR15 Barrels who had a pretty clever way of clearing that burr. Drop the cut-off shank portion of a 5.5 mm drill bit down the barrel from the chamber end.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 5:17:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I think it was Randall at AR15 Barrels who had a pretty clever way of clearing that burr. Drop the cut-off shank portion of a 5.5 mm drill bit down the barrel from the chamber end.

On a newly drilled barrel yes. But after 800 rds of ammo I think it’s too late for Randall’s trick.

Call RRA and see what they say, but if it’s not effecting accuracy then I personally would not sweat it. Especially if a patch on a jag does not catch and you can’t feel anything as well.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 6:29:47 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Call RRA and see what they say, but if it’s not effecting accuracy then I personally would not sweat it. Especially if a patch on a jag does not catch and you can’t feel anything as well.

+1

Randall has always professionally answered my emails.  When he is caught up with his barrel making, I plan to have him make me a featherweight with a 1/7 twist.

If accuracy is not an issue, it may be OK.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 9:39:52 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Randall has always professionally answered my emails.  When he is caught up with his barrel making, I plan to have him make me a featherweight with a 1/7 twist.

If accuracy is not an issue, it may be OK.

You must have a different e-mail address for Randall than I do. I emailed him over a month ago several times and still havent heard from him yet.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 10:02:22 AM EDT
[#8]
This is the one I used, per his web site:

www.ar15barrels.com/contact.shtml

"I work a regular day job just like almost everyone else does.
I do my gunsmithing work in the evenings and on the weekends.
Please send email to: randall at ar15barrels.com (replace "at" with @)
I usually answer emails within 3 days unless I am otherwise involved in having a personal life...
If you don't hear back from me, it's for one of many reasons, either my response was stopped by your email provider as spam, you did not ask a pointed and direct question that elicits a direct response, you wrote a huge long email with too many questions to answer quickly or you are asking about something that I can't figure out easily such as order status. Due to the volume of emails I receive, if you don't hear back in a few days, there's a good chance you won't hear back at all. Please try again.
Mailing and shipping address:

AR15barrels
PO Box 66281
Mar Vista, CA 90066"
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 10:17:59 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Call Rock River Arms ???????

You might be covered

Do you actually think it's even a problem?

I suspect this guy is looking at his gas port and doesn't realize what it is.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 1:29:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Just thought it would be better for him to work it out with Rock River than have someone tell him to dip his rounds in rubbing compond
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 1:33:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been squared away since 8am this morning guys.  Thanks for the help.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:51:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 3:03:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top