Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/22/2007 12:07:35 PM EDT
If i decide to get a varmint upper and want to mount a railed handguard on it, will it require a special railed HG for varmint bbls??? or will it accept standard HGs??? thanks because this is kindof keeping me back from ordering the varmint, I want options with this rifle.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 12:19:56 PM EDT
[#1]
pretty sure it's the same, the railed handguard mounts to the receiver not the barrel.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 12:30:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Thats kind of what i was thinking, but I didnt want to go off and blow a bunch of $$$ on a varmint upper to find out i cant do what i want to it. Thanks
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 6:11:33 PM EDT
[#3]
only time youd have a problem is with a mid/carbine gas system and a rifle tube, some gas blocks wont fit under a railed tube.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 9:37:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Many handgaurds use a barrel nut with an opening that is 1" in diameter and some varmint barrels such as the the ones from Rock River are slightly larger than 1" so the nut won't fit over the barrel.   Any machine shop should be able to open the barrel nut up a little or you can have the barrel turned down to just under 1" as needed.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 5:53:46 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Many handgaurds use a barrel nut with an opening that is 1" in diameter and some varmint barrels such as the the ones from Rock River are slightly larger than 1" so the nut won't fit over the barrel.   Any machine shop should be able to open the barrel nut up a little or you can have the barrel turned down to just under 1" as needed.

you sure about that.  i dont want to yank my ff tube off and measure, but the receiver threads are bigger.  i have a dpms bull which is the same blank as the rra.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 5:57:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you sure about that.

Positive.

Having spent the better part of an afternoon using a half-round file to make a barrel nut fit, I', absolutely sure about that.

It's been discussed on here fairly often, such as in this thread: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=309043
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:37:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

you sure about that.

Positive.

Having spent the better part of an afternoon using a half-round file to make a barrel nut fit, I', absolutely sure about that.

It's been discussed on here fairly often, such as in this thread: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=309043

the only barrel nuts ive ever used were gi or the normal round screw on ff type, thanks for the explanation.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top