Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2007 8:10:48 AM EDT
how could i legally give an AR15 to another family member?
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 8:13:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Wrap it in a box with the coolest wrapping paper you can find and hand it to them!

Seriously, I don't know PA law in depth, but what I do know is there are not many restrictions on "assault weapons" in PA.  There shouldn't be any problems handing it to the person and telling them to have fun with it.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 8:16:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Can I be in your family..lol I don't eat much, but I do fart ALOT.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 8:19:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 8:29:52 AM EDT
[#4]
no. he lives in NJ.

all of the parts i have are NJ compliant (since i was once a prisoner there), the family member in question just got his FID card a month ago (so he is legit), and like me if he were "ineligible" to purchase a firearm, he would be fired from his job.

when i lived in NJ i bought almost every one of my long guns in PA.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 8:30:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 8:36:21 AM EDT
[#6]
giving an AR15 for a gift is akin to giving pets as gifts.

all it's going to do is cost them an assload of money over the course of it's life.

from the looks of things on this board, it causes divorces too.

and the obligatory:  send it to me, I don't mind caring for and feeding it
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 8:37:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
no. he lives in NJ.
quote]

That's a different story, and to expand on Forest's comments:

You'll have to send it to an FFL dealer in NJ, where the family member will have to fill out the appropriate paperwork before taking possession of the rifle.  Depending on NJ law and the dealer, you maybe able to drive the weapon to the dealer, have him take possession and log it in, then he can transfer it to an NJ resident.

Or if you ship it, make sure you know that the NJ dealer will accept firearms from an individual and doesn't require it to be sent by another out of State dealer.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 8:50:25 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Quoted:
no. he lives in NJ.
quote]

That's a different story, and to expand on Forest's comments:

You'll have to send it to an FFL dealer in NJ, where the family member will have to fill out the appropriate paperwork before taking possession of the rifle.  Depending on NJ law and the dealer, you maybe able to drive the weapon to the dealer, have him take possession and log it in, then he can transfer it to an NJ resident.

Or if you ship it, make sure you know that the NJ dealer will accept firearms from an individual and doesn't require it to be sent by another out of State dealer.  

ugh. how annoying. i knew you had to do this crap for handguns. what if i were at a gun show in a different state and bought a rifle from someone (not an FFL), i would have to go through the same hoops?
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 8:57:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 9:03:22 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

i would have to go through the same hoops?

Yes, any interstate transfer of ownership must go through an FFL, no exceptions.

oh ok... so that's why purchasing long guns in PA when i lived in NJ was a-ok since it was an FFL. so if i had him do a transfer of the lower at my FFL over here that would be good to go as well? as long as the transfer goes through an FFL (NICS/4473)?
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 10:28:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 11:53:45 AM EDT
[#12]
I gift myself a new rifle every year :-\. I'm hoping to have a H&K 416 , POF or Magpul Masada by my 24th this oct. 11th :)
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 12:10:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I recently bought one for my father, not to worried about legality snce we can both legaly own firearms.

Bought him a RRA elite CAR A4 ...   but he doesn't like the 16" barrel or the railed fore end, seems to want a varmint or predator pusuit type upper.  

Ask them what they want.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 12:14:48 PM EDT
[#14]
adopt me?
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 12:15:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Yeah I know how that goes, I had similar problem awhile back with a rifle I gave my dad.. old people, you can't live with them and you... well thats about it

Quoted:
I recently bought one for my father, not to worried about legality snce we can both legaly own firearms.

Bought him a RRA elite CAR A4 ...   but he doesn't like the 16" barrel or the railed fore end, seems to want a varmint or predator pusuit type upper.  

Ask them what they want.
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 9:17:54 AM EDT
[#16]
I had my family member come over and fill the paperwork out for one of the lowers, i filled out my own 4473 for the rest of them

I just got the post-ban NJ compliant Stag 4H (20" rifle) kit from JKiser yesterday and put it together last night...

i can't wait to finish up my own 20" build...

here's a picture of it...
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 9:23:17 AM EDT
[#17]
As nice looking as a ban rifle can get<this is a compliment, darn that flashider and collapsable stock would have just sent you on kill crazy murder rampage good thing you cant own any, i feel sorry for you guys,but would love to get an AR as a gift that is the best thing somebody can probably give somebody else.
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 9:29:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 9:48:26 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Hellbound,
Nice looking rifle, I'm thinking of building a simialr one for my father (who also happens to reside in a ban state).

that's why i escaped from NJ when i could.

this is for my father-in-law and his son. his son is 13 and has been taking part in the youth marksmanship program in their area for the past few years... he is at that age now where things aren't "cool" so i am trying to keep him interested and involved in the shooting sports...  i think he is beginning to lose interest in shooting .177 pellets... especially when he comes over to visit and sees our safe...

his big sister and i have taken him to a few gun shows and he loves collecting dummy rounds and watching futureweapons... i think if him and his dad have their own AR to go shooting together he will stay interested and keep it up...
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 10:19:39 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Wrap it in a box with the coolest wrapping paper you can find and hand it to them!

Seriously, I don't know PA law in depth, but what I do know is there are not many restrictions on "assault weapons" in PA.  There shouldn't be any problems handing it to the person and telling them to have fun with it.  
yup hand it to them
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top