Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/1/2007 10:56:26 PM EDT

Does anyone know the proper method for lightening the amount of pressure needed for a good trigger pull on this M4 trigger pack?  Please.

Link Posted: 2/2/2007 12:05:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Having just ordered my first AR15, I found a trigger setup at Rainier Arms, called the Elkmont Arms Trigger Pull Reduction Kit.

http://www.rainierarms.com/img/shop/product/ba1c72bf6ca77084388f3e226c8b1ed2.jpg

Its $33.95. I haven't received all the parts to the AR yet, but I thought at this price, what the  heck. The price is right. It states it will reduce the pull anywhere from 2 to 4 pounds. Hopefully when I receive my lower, and install this kit, then I will be able to write a good review.

Check Rainier Arms for more details. Maybe someone here already has an opinion.

Cheers
LC
Link Posted: 2/2/2007 2:13:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Is it select fire or semi-automatic?

If it's semi, I might just replace the trigger group with any standard NM trigger, such as the one made by RRA. If it's select fire, I don't know. I would assume some companies would make quality trigger groups for select fire weapons, but it may take some digging on your part to find them.

I am not really qualified to comment on modifying existing parts, but I generally disadvise doing so.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2007 6:13:33 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Is it select fire or semi-automatic?

If it's semi, I might just replace the trigger group with any standard NM trigger, such as the one made by RRA. If it's select fire, I don't know. I would assume some companies would make quality trigger groups for select fire weapons, but it may take some digging on your part to find them.

I am not really qualified to comment on modifying existing parts, but I generally disadvise doing so.  

I won't quote you, I am just looking for some technical input and/or lay opinion.  It is an M4 trigger pack with the 3 round burst, semi, or full auto; the pull on this thing must be 10-12 pounds (dunno about that), but I understand it was made so bc there were some accidents occurring in intense situations.  I don't suffer from any intense sit. so I want to lighten the trigger pull.  Any input is appreciated.  Thank you both.
Link Posted: 2/2/2007 7:31:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Might wanna ask this question in the ClassIII NFA section under the Arms and Tactics forum.
Link Posted: 2/2/2007 1:14:37 PM EDT
[#5]
KAC makes a spectacular 2 stage trigger that is a long single stage for the full auto portion.  Usually about $320 or more.  MSTN usually stocks them.  You have 3.5 and 4.5 pound pull weight options.  Probably the best trigger pull available on an AR IMO.  Other might be as good but they cant really be any better.
Link Posted: 2/2/2007 5:10:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
KAC makes a spectacular 2 stage trigger that is a long single stage for the full auto portion.  Usually about $320 or more.  MSTN usually stocks them.  You have 3.5 and 4.5 pound pull weight options.  Probably the best trigger pull available on an AR IMO.  Other might be as good but they cant really be any better.

wow, that is a bit out of my budget right now, I was hoping for a dremel or spring replacement kind of fix, thanks for the info though, I'll have to save up.
Link Posted: 2/2/2007 6:10:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Lawdawg,
Check out JP Enterprises spring kit at $9.95.
http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.8.2.php
Link Posted: 2/2/2007 7:01:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Having just ordered my first AR15, I found a trigger setup at Rainier Arms, called the Elkmont Arms Trigger Pull Reduction Kit.

www.rainierarms.com/img/shop/product/ba1c72bf6ca77084388f3e226c8b1ed2.jpg

Its $33.95. I haven't received all the parts to the AR yet, but I thought at this price, what the  heck. The price is right. It states it will reduce the pull anywhere from 2 to 4 pounds. Hopefully when I receive my lower, and install this kit, then I will be able to write a good review.

Check Rainier Arms for more details. Maybe someone here already has an opinion.

This 'Reduction Kit' is nothing more than the retail version of the "15-Minute Trigger Job" which has been posted all over the net for years. Notice the trigger spring in the photo, it has 1 leg cut off, which will cut your trigger pull down to 2-4 lbs. Many people have made this modification. Some have reported light primer strikes caused by this modification, especially with some military surplus/hard primed ammo.

The rest of the kit is 'fluff'. Save yourself $32 by buying a spare $2 trigger spring to experiment with and google for the instructions on how to do the 15-minute trigger job and you'll end up with the same results. If it works and is reliable for you, then you save $32. If not, all it cost you was a $2 spring.
Link Posted: 2/2/2007 7:33:52 PM EDT
[#9]
The easiest way is to install a reduced power trigger/ hammer spring set. Some of them are too light and would not be my choice in a duty weapon. I installed a ISMI kit in my lower and tried as many types of ammo I could find. No light hits and it did lighten the pull a bit.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2007 9:07:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The easiest way is to install a reduced power trigger/ hammer spring set. Some of them are too light and would not be my choice in a duty weapon. I installed a ISMI kit in my lower and tried as many types of ammo I could find. No light hits and it did lighten the pull a bit.  

That sounds good...someone else led me to Brownells, and they have the under 10 dollar jobs that are more in line with what I am wanting to spend.  Then again, they got so many gun supplies there, I may go broke buying all that other wtshtf stuff.

Thank you.

Link Posted: 2/2/2007 11:15:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Elkmont Arms is located here in Alabama and I know the owner and they do great work and put together quality stuff. I installed prototype kits in two of my AR's and they worked flawlessly. One is still in my Bushmaster, it reduced the trigger pull from 9lbs to 4.5lbs, and is still going strong after 2500 rounds. I noticed a huge difference in the groups from the Bushmaster after installing it. The other rifle is a precision AR and I used the Elkmont kit with good success for a couple of months and then upgraded to a Jewell two stage trigger. The difference between the two is big but you are talking about two totally different items, and a price difference of $150. I would not hesitate to use the Elkmont Arms kit in any AR and would do so with confidence, but for bench rest type groups I need the crisp, low break weight of a two stage. Its just a matter of what you are looking to spend, and what you expect from the product.
Link Posted: 2/3/2007 7:28:15 AM EDT
[#12]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

That sounds good...someone else led me to Brownells, and they have the under 10 dollar jobs that are more in line with what I am wanting to spend.  Then again, they got so many gun supplies there, I may go broke buying all that other wtshtf stuff.

Thank you.

The spring kit at Brownell's is Made by JP Enterprises..
You can install it in 5 minutes
Link Posted: 2/3/2007 1:03:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Hello All,

This is Eric with Elkmont Arms & Aerospace. I would like to thank you all for the support and the business. If you have any questions about the TPRK please feel free to give me a call or email anytime.

The guys at Rainer Arms are great, trust me when I say to you they don't sell junk or carry half ass products. These guys are top notch and I am proud they carry our product.

We have sold well over 200 kits to several wholesale dealers and customers and so far the feedback has been great. Everybody seems to be real happy with our product; what it does for you and the price.

We designed this kit so the average guy on a budget could have a nice trigger pull quality from stock with out spending a small fortune . We spent a ton of time and money (ammo) getting this product right for the market and so far so good..

The only problems we have had was one customer thought the pins for the trigger were a little to long. This is normal so you can attach the e-clips to the pins to make them captive.

As with any internet chat board there is always one or two folks that has to make negative comments about products they don't even own. That is the nature of this business today, I have thick skin and stand behind my products. I read one person said out kits are mostly "fluff" and its nothing more then a cut spring. Well, that is what great about America, we can all have opinions, but take most of them with a grain of salt.....LOL

Here are some facts not fluff about our kits. The trigger reduction in our kits is about 60% from the coated pins not the springs. The aerospace coating we use on the pins is over $75 a 4oz bottle. I would say that the the hammer spring does about 40% of the total reduction in pull weight. The spring with one leg is the trigger spring not the hammer spring. This helps smooth the pull but really does not drop the pull weight much. The main reduction for the springs is the custom hammer spring. We use a sping that has both legs but a bit smaller dia wire than stock, this is why we don't seem to have problems with light primer hits.

You may notice that our springs have a light coating on them that looks red. This is normal and will come right off if you like, it is not rust. This color is to mark them from my supplier.

We have also tested the TPRK trigger kit in several 308 DPMS LR-308 rifles and 1 Armalite AR-10. So far so good, but we have at least another 2 to 3000 rounds of testing with out failure befoe I feel ready to release this info for retail. This kit will be the same parts we are just going to rename it if it all works out.

If you folks have any questions or comments feel free to email or call me.

Take Care & God Bless

Eric N.
Elkmont Arms & Aerospace
Elkmont, Alabama
256-233-2395 shop
www.elkmontarms.com
Link Posted: 2/3/2007 1:48:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I won't quote you, I am just looking for some technical input and/or lay opinion.  It is an M4 trigger pack with the 3 round burst, semi, or full auto; the pull on this thing must be 10-12 pounds (dunno about that), but I understand it was made so bc there were some accidents occurring in intense situations.  I don't suffer from any intense sit. so I want to lighten the trigger pull.  Any input is appreciated.  Thank you both.

Sounds like Club Fed.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 10:22:47 PM EDT
[#15]
elkmontarms, Im not really in the market for a trigger upgrade at this time, but just in the manner that you spoke, you gained a customer. Its always nice to do business with someone who can take a breath and not lashout on someone for talking smack about their company.

I hope to be doing business with you in the futer.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 11:46:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
elkmontarms, Im not really in the market for a trigger upgrade at this time, but just in the manner that you spoke, you gained a customer. Its always nice to do business with someone who can take a breath and not lashout on someone for talking smack about their company.

I hope to be doing business with you in the futer.

It was well worded wasn't it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 7:12:42 AM EDT
[#17]
I was about to post a topic about the Elkmont Arms trigger pull kit. Glad I found all this. I'm really interested in how it's worked so far on the .308's
I've got an RRA on my ARG-15 and couldn't be happier. But, for the price; I'll probably try out a Elkmont Arms set up before I go for a full trigger kit.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top