BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 1/14/2007 12:23:42 PM EDT
I am surprised at the great receptions to my photo session.  I am greatly honored for your appreciation.  At the same time, it is my pleasure to bring the show to those that couldn't be there. I hope you enjoy this year's out take.  

I will start with the most amazing (my opinion) product of the show.

Three months ago Rich and his talented crew at MagPul decided to under take this project, from design concept to working prototype took a measly THREE months. a well kept secret by any standard and the gun industry's skunk works came up with the Masada.  A Hybrid of XM8, SCAR and M16, but not to take away from the MagPul team, they took some of the best seen feature of what is on the market and made it even better, instead of a Polymer receiver, you have a light weight aluminum receiver, polymer trigger housing (Which I use this term since the serial number is on the barreled receiver) and a highly adjustable polymer stock.  Without boring you to death with any more writing, here goes the pictures and I will comment on each picture with data I picked up.  enough said, I spend most of my time at the MagPul booth and that was one of the busiest booth in the show by any means.

The MagPul rifle will initially come with 5.56, 5.45 and 6.8.  All caliber change are be performed by changing the trigger housing, barrel assembly and bolt group. no word on the 308 and the 7.62x39 as of yet, but it does not mean they will not produce it after the initial 5.56 version are in full production.

Rich and his pride, the MagPul Masada.

Raw and finished receiver.

Complete Masada with 14,5 inch barrel and the new 5.56 magazine. This is a very light weight rifle with AR style ergonomics and excellent modularity for components and accessories.

Rich holding the Masada in the 5.56 Eastern bloc magazine version. This basically shows the possibility for this trigger housing to accept the AK74 rounds.  notice the paddle magazine release, and the lack bolt held open device that you see on the 5.56 version.

SPR variant with adjustable stock and match barrel by Noveske works. as you can see, the trigger housing house is separate from the stock assembly, it is held together by captured pins.

Close up of the Magpul 5.56 lower utilizing the Eastern Bloc 5.56 clear polymer magazine.  Here the picture clearly show the lack of any bolt held open device.

The SPR variant from the other side,  it shows the ambidextrous controls for the lefty and support side operation.

Stock folded.  The weapon will operate with the stock closed. as similar concept to the SCAR, but the Masada stock feels a lot better.

Close up of the stock, note the adjustable cheek piece that can only be adjusted with the stock extended. Since you have to pull back on the cheek piece and then left up, you can't do that when the stock is fully collapsed. LOP adjustable and folding for vehicle or air lift operation, this is one well thought out design.

Stock fully extended.  The cheek piece is adjustable in two positions only.

Polymer handguard assembly.  It has heat shield inside but the handguard is also slotted for rail attachments. So you can mount accessories on it. Rumor is a Magpul vertical grip that can be mounted to a LaRue base are in the works.. One thing.. Please don't call Rich en mass to find out some of the rumor I posted or he said he would personally kick my butt when I go for a factory visit next week to do a further detail articled on the Masada.

Also to the way the handguard is designed, it can be adapted with a rail interface like the what KAC did for the G36.

The charging handle can be switched for both sides, ala SCAR style. It is a non- reciprocating changing handle so the lever will not be bouncing back and forth like the G36. With this charging handle, you can push in the lever to lock position to make it a forward assist or pull the lever out more to engage the carrier for any malfunction drills (into reciprocating mode).  The design team thought of everything.
photos.imageevent.com/smglee/ss2007/huge/Magpul022.jpg" border=0 id=img>
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 12:32:18 PM EDT
[#1]
great pics...

thanks Chen!
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 12:43:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Great Pics! Keep em comin.
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 12:48:04 PM EDT
[#3]
i must be crazy for not wanting to TAG this thread....great pics so far!
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 12:51:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Awesome, thanks Chen.
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 12:52:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 12:54:44 PM EDT
[#6]
LMFAO @ The Poster Behind Rich!

Great Photos Lee.

Nathan

ETA: Just read the "Do not post..." part.
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 12:54:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Wonderful!!! I can't wait to see some more...

Thanks for the pics...

Quoted:Lunch time.. I will be back to finish the magpul section.. more pictures to come.

Please do not add posts until I have completed this section.

Crap... Sorry... I'm a moron that doesn't know how to read...

(Please, any of the mods delete my post to keep this thread clean.)

Link Posted: 1/14/2007 12:57:50 PM EDT
[#8]
wow, tag mr smglee--thanks for the great info and pics!
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 1:01:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 1:47:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Please do not add posts until I have completed this section.

LOL....here is goes with the rest of the MagPul.

The barrel interface of the receiver. Notice the locking grooves inside the aluminum receiver. This method eliminated the trunnion style interface of the G36, which had some heat transfer issues under heavy use.  the quick change barrel have return to zero capability.  Closer look at the front of the receiver, the slot that accept the tab inside the handguard. The handguard hook around the slot in the front and the rear of the handguard has a captured pin that engages the receiver itself.  This makes the barrel complete free float.

The barrel assembly with the quick detach lever folded.  This is what it looks like right after you remove the handguard.

Pull out the folding lever, and push down on the locking tab.  

Once the locking tab is pushed down, you simply make a quarter turn and pull up on the barrel retainer ring.  

Retainer ring lifted out and notice the teeth on the ring that locks into the the locking tab on the receiver.

The retainer ring (I made up the term since I forgot to ask for the proper term...Rich can correct my terminology) lift out of battery.  The front folding back up iron sight that is build right into the receiver.  This sight works well with the Troy Battle sight along with the EOTech 512 and LaRue EOTech mount.  The long monolithic rail on the top of the receiver enables multiple optic mounting option.

There is some room on the locking ring to secure the barrel, as the component wear in long term; you have more room to lock down the barrel.

The barrel assembly with the gas piston. if you notice the gas block, the front of the block has an Allen screw, it is there for the MagPul design team to adjust the gas to find out what size gas hole to use in what condition. in the production version, the gas block will have a adjustable lever to set your gas regulator for various conditions.

Stand heavy weight barrel are used but you can not buy a new barrel and DIY. the barrel and piston assemble along with the QD feature are to be install at the MagPul facility. The use of standard AR barrel will make sourcing parts and adding more options a lot easier for the team.

Closer look at the interior of the receiver. The aluminum receiver has steel rail riveted to it for the bolt carrier.  This steel on steel interface is one of the smoothest carrier to receiver interface I have ever tried.  a very well thought out design which also add long term durability. Notice the receiver has not M4 feed ramp cut into it.  

Close up of the Bolt carrier. Kind of the G36/SCAR style with some variation.  

Bolt carrier group... sorry, kind of out of focus...
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 1:59:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Chen,

I will name my first born after you!
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 2:00:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 2:02:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Forgive me if I missed it, but one of the captions states that the rifle will fire with the stock folded down. However, in looking at the pictures with the stock folded down it appears to cover the ejection port? Perhaps it's just the angle?
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 2:06:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Great pics, thanks.

Sorry was just looking at the pics.
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 2:14:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 2:22:47 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
What part of  PLEASE DO NOT POST until he is done is hard to undestand??

LOL... I am finished with the MAgPul section. can blame them for the enthusism, I was just as excited when I first lay my eyes on the gun..

MagPul AR magazine, this advanced design took some serious abuse at the show.  Every now and then, you hear some heavy thumping. some one from MagPul would be thumping on the magazine with their foot to show the attendees how durable this magazine can be. Very nice.. I will have to try a few in my std M4.

The trigger group, it used standard AR15 trigger parts so you can mostly likely drop a match trigger into the gun for your SPR.  Take a look at the rear of the trigger housing.  no recoil buffer are designed into it, but they left room for such device for future application.

The Masada rifle was design and build in a amazingly short 3 months, during that time, the MagPul team worked hard to bring this gun to the ShotShow. they shot over 500 rounds in it and the first 200 rds were from bench rest.  The team got bored and the confidence of the design, they shoulder the rifle and started to let go the next 300 plus rds.  Hopefully I will be able to bring you some action shot of the rifle by next week.  

For the traditionalist, the MagPul AR receiver, this receiver has integrated the ambidextrous magazine release into the fence of the receiver. This is not as extensive as the KAC design, but it is just as nice.

From the other side. the receiver also features the serrated front mag well for those that like the mag well hold.

Nice and wide mag well for those speed reload.

The UBR with the optional cheek piece installed.  This cheek piece can be adjusted forward and back. It is not a quick adjustment as you have to use the Allen screws to secure the piece, but this option is great for those that use night vision behind a magnified optic or those that like to get a cheek weld a bit further back.  

Locking slots on the MagPul UBR receiver extension tube. This particular tube took some serious abuse from the test team; it still locks up solid and in working order.

Locking mechanism, it seem complex, but Brain was able to dump sand inside and the latch did not have any problem, best of all, most of the sand he dump inside the latching mechanism all dropped out from the open spaced underneath. Barely any were left inside the stock, what was left got pushed out by the latch itself.  

I am finished with my Magpul part of the picture tour.. post away...

Link Posted: 1/14/2007 2:23:19 PM EDT
[#17]
You are the man, thanks for the pics.
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 2:30:07 PM EDT
[#18]
awesome !! I sure hope you have a fat bandwidth

when are they supposed to release the UBR ? can't wait..
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 2:41:41 PM EDT
[#19]
This is the most fun I've had all year!

Thanks for the pics.
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 2:48:28 PM EDT
[#20]
gracias por los cuadros
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 3:01:52 PM EDT
[#21]

Armalite SPR with the gas piston.  

Notice the piston block is on the gun, but nothing inside.. maybe they don't want some yahoo like me taking pictures.  hmmm, new Armalite rail?

Folding front sight, a better look at the gas regulator block and also the new rail.  further examination, it appears to be a direct gas gun with a adjustable gas block for suppressor use.

KAC style rail locking ring on the new rail system.

Good ole traditional AR10. very nice.

WE ran after Dick like little girls to get a photo op with the man...  I must be looking at those two hot girls walking by...

Just to give you guys an idea, these two pictures really does not do justice on how big the shot show actually is.

Doug Olson, the early days AWC fame and later designed most all the KAC SOPMOD kit for KAC moves on to Wilson.  He told me since he arrived, he has design over twenty parts for Bill Wilson and told me to look forward to the release of more AR components from Wilson combat.  I for one are looking forward to Doug's new development with antipatication.  If I guess correct, Wilson will start to offer some seriously well developed AR parts in not too far future.

This is the Samson developed, EOTech exclusive magnifier mount. the mount features the usual spring loaded side flip and also a top mounted SWAM lever to detach the optic tiself.

Samson redesigned the Aimpoint flip mount to allow the users to select which side the optic will flip to. this is why you see the enlongated base plate on the mount to the right. notice the flip mount has the same screw arrangement as the ARMS. this allows Samson to use the basic mount to build PCV-14 ring or anything else they desire.

Another view of the new Samson PVS mount along with the redesigned Aimpoint magnifier mount.

Moving away from the AR stuff.  I played around with Taurus's new offering. the new Tactical is a nice pistol. striker style double action trigger allows the ability to continue to pull the trigger without having to rack the slide.  the 1911 style safety has two postion. flip up one you engage the safety and flip up further decocks the weapon.
I was not to thrill about the trigger and I had a hard time finding the trigger reset.  very meshy. but overall a good pistol from Taurus.

Not to take away from the Taurus, the most impressive pistol there was the Smith Wesson's new M&P45. This is the military variant with the thumb safety.  this weapon is not much larger then the M&P40.  The amazing thing is the grip size, it is actaully just right. Unlike some other striker style 45s, the grip on the SW is very NICE.  Sexy gun.(borat).

Nice narrow frame and grip, or as narrow as you can get from a large frame 45 pistol.

Hi-cap magazine, and internal exposed.

The military model vs. the std no manual external safety version.
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 3:09:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Awesome, as usual!

Link Posted: 1/14/2007 3:56:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Wow - thanks for the awesome work!
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 4:00:00 PM EDT
[#24]
I could easily be mistaken, but I believe those pics of the Armalites show the adjustable gas block rather than a piston AR...any confirmation?
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 4:00:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 4:05:02 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
What part of  PLEASE DO NOT POST until he is done is hard to undestand??

You should stop posting in this guys thread!!!  He's not ready yet, can't you read!!!!
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 4:09:09 PM EDT
[#27]
SMGLee,

Any other details on the S&W M&P 45's?

I heard they were going to be available with or without magazine disconnects,
and internal locks. Any word on that?

Also I was looking for a loaded chamber indicator/cocking indicator ala the Springfield XD 45.
Anything along that line?

Thanks! Great pics. Been waiting to hear about this pistol in particular. Glad to hear the
grip is ergonomically designed better than other stryker fired hi-cap 45's. The XD 45 is
pretty good and the Glock G21 is fair to middlin' so i'm pleased to hear the new guy in the
pack has the capacity and the comfort I've been looking for, for an average sized hand.
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 4:23:50 PM EDT
[#28]

Very cool pictures - thanks!

Link Posted: 1/14/2007 4:24:27 PM EDT
[#29]
over 2000 views already, damn!

edit:sorry, did not read the don't post request.
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 4:39:37 PM EDT
[#30]
hey chen, i thought that you were gonna take some pictures of hot female models holding some guns for me?
bangbangbbogie
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 5:20:02 PM EDT
[#31]

HK45 pistol, the non-military version.

HK45 military version, I think the only difference is the colored frame.

They also had a LEM version

GMG

PDW

UMP, despite the UMP in 9mm, 40, and 45. MP5 are continue to be the bench mark in anyone's standard.

Pair of 416 and 417. No word on the contract manufacturing in the States. I was hoping they would have nailed down something by the Shotshow.  no 418 the 6.8 version neither.

HK 416

Side opening tube and aiming device build to the launcher receiver.

GLM

The GLM are attached and secured by a front push pin, push out the pin and the entire assembly rolls off the bottom rail. the pin attaches to the bottom front of the rail system.

417 with 12" barrel.

the adjustable gas regulator for suppressed and normal fire

Butt plate can be removed for storage compartment, same as the floor plate of the pistol grip

Link Posted: 1/14/2007 5:22:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 5:23:04 PM EDT
[#33]
How does the fugly handle on that Hk417 feel?
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 5:37:13 PM EDT
[#34]
As sexy as they are.... HK's ship has sailed, sunk and is at the bottom of the ocean rusting.

Even if they do source US suppliers for civilian AR manufacturing, they wont be able to compete with current AR companies. The price that comes with those 2 letters is far beyond sticker shock.

SMGLee, I love your pictures and thoughts. Keep them coming.

I'd especially like to see some more of Sigarms 556 and MSAR STG 556

Thanks  

Link Posted: 1/14/2007 5:44:45 PM EDT
[#35]
all i see is the red X of death
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 6:27:18 PM EDT
[#36]
tagalicious....awesome pics as usual Chen.
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 6:36:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 6:44:01 PM EDT
[#38]

I have enough handguns, but if I ever buy another it will be the HK45.
Man...........that piece is SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!
But then again, for the price, I'd probably just build a new AR.
Decisions, decisions.....

Anyway, you should have told Marcinko that his books suck now that Weisman is not writing them.
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 7:24:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Thanks for the pics...wish I could have been there.

Did LMT display their rumored Monolithic piston-driven AR upper?
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 7:46:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Troy came to the shwo their new AR10 rail interface system.  The new rail is well made and seem bullet proof. the spring detent has been replaced with screw mount to eliminate mounting difficulties and any possibility of the bottom rail coming loose.

To me, Troy M14 SOPMOD rail systemis one of the most complete and well build design in the industry.

Business end of the M14

The stock is attached to the receiver with a push pin in the rear. the pin latch the upper rail assembly and the stock together.

Vltor had their booth next door.  

Vltor release their front gas block with flip up front sight.  also the new A2 style flash hider.

The top of the gas block also act as a rail platform when the sight are folded, this gives you option as to how you want to configure the front sight. the front sight does not have a locking detent.

Better view of the flash hider.

The Vltor bi-pod that utilize the Tangodown bi-pod legs. the two legs lock down individually to each side of the rail system. the leg pivot on a ball joint.

The bi-pod on a SPR.

M203 interface with the VIS, also the new Vltor quick release clamp for the M203.

The lever relase M203 QD clamp.

Vltor developed US made PKM in either semi or full auto receiver.

Vltor and Springfield coop rail system.

Adjustable stock height.

Link Posted: 1/14/2007 8:02:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 9:00:14 PM EDT
[#42]
VLTOR looks good
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 9:26:01 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
SMGLee,

Any other details on the S&W M&P 45's?

I heard they were going to be available with or without magazine disconnects,
and internal locks. Any word on that?

Also I was looking for a loaded chamber indicator/cocking indicator ala the Springfield XD 45.
Anything along that line?

The MP45 is suppose to have the same order process as the 9mm and 40SW M&P.  You can order the gun withou the disconnect and internal lock. I think there is a loaded cahmber ind. but I am not sure.. sorry.

The grip is awesome, then best I have seen in a 45.  This will be one to buy this year.
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 9:36:01 PM EDT
[#44]
TPD is one of a handful of companies that is designing an US made Steyr AUG.  I did not have a chance to make it to the other booth since I had a hard time finding it but nevertheless, Kent Luttrell was stationed at the MagPul booth and he got plenty of exposure for his soon to be US made Steyr AUG call the AXR.

Currently the gun is displayed using a factory AUG receiver.

TPD's own AUG rail, this is a product I plan on testing in the very near future.  Kent's first batch will be finished within the week. just a quick trip to the finisher to complete the process.

The barrel are Kent's own creation, he invested a large amount to make it happen.

Kent will use Factory M16 magazine AUG stock.

Kent can be contacted at 503-703-1972
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 9:40:08 PM EDT
[#45]
SMGLee,  Thanks for the great pix!  How heavy is the Masada?  I am saving my money for one of those.
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 9:45:49 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
SMGLee,  Thanks for the great pix!  How heavy is the Masada?  I am saving my money for one of those.

With the Aluminum receiver and semi heavy barrrel, the Masada seem to be decent.  I did not get the weight on the rifle, but I will be in Denver next Friday to get more detail and to do a full feature article on it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 10:19:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Barrett was present with their entire line up, including the M468.

The most impressive piece there isn’t the rifle but his latest ballistic computer mounted to the top of Leupold Scope.

A mil-spec connector on the side of the unit that utilize USB off your computer.

This ballistic computer is capable of storing data of different cartridge and compensate for the barometer and temperature and also a internal digital bubble are build in to make sure the rifle is centered.  Also the unit can compensate for the bore angle and calculate the difference in actual distance.  once you select the correct ammunition, determined the range, you just turn the knob on the top until the proper distance is shown on the display. the computer will compensate for the difference in weather and the internal digital bubble and bore angle are taken into account. all the shooter has to do is put the cross hair on target and shoot.
Link Posted: 1/14/2007 10:36:46 PM EDT
[#48]
now that i've seen both AUGs, i think i'm leaning more towards kent's version provided it's a good rifle and he's got lefty bolts for it.

any idea as to what his price is going to be?

Link Posted: 1/15/2007 1:16:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Like death and taxes Chen, very well done.
Link Posted: 1/15/2007 4:49:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Did you here anything about the KAC IWS, like pirce, when the plan to release them to the public?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top