Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/3/2007 10:50:52 AM EDT
ok i am wondering what is the purpose of the gas tube on the ar15?

yes i am a newbie
yes i did use the search box and came up empty
yes i am thankful for all your views

thanks all!
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 11:00:49 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
ok i am wondering what is the purpose of the gas tube on the ar15?

yes i am a newbie
yes i did use the search box and came up empty
yes i am thankful for all your views

thanks all!

The gas tube is integral to the operation of the AR15.  It takes gases from a port under the front sight base and channels them back into the upper receiver, where they act on the bolt carrier to eject the spent round.

ETA: More specifically they act on the gas key, which is part of the bolt carrier.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 11:36:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 12:14:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Underneath the gas block/front sight base there is a hole drilled through the barrel to the bore.  This is called the gas port.  

When a cartrdge is fired, the expanding gases push the bullet down the barrel and as the base of the bullet pases by the gas port, some of the expanding gases are directed up through the gas port.

Directly above the gas port of the barrel, there is a corresponding port in the gas block/front sight base.  The expanding gases travel up through this port to the gas tube.

Upon reaching the gas tube, the gases are channeled into the corresponding port in the gas tube and then flow rearward through the gas tube to the upper receiver.

Inside the upper receiver the gas tube connects with the gas key of the bolt carrier and the gases drive the bolt carrier to the rear thereby cycling the action of the rifle.

Link Posted: 1/3/2007 12:25:03 PM EDT
[#4]
nice pics MOLON...very well illustrated
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 12:31:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 12:34:22 PM EDT
[#6]
It is also the week link in the AR platform.  This is by default do not get worried or stressed.  Before you can tear something else up on the gun the gas tube will glow cherry red and then begin to sag.  Once it has sagged too much the gas will be cut off and you must stop firing and get a new gas tube.  Will you ever do this?  I seriously doubt it.  This usually only occures with Full auto.  I have only once gotten one to glow, I don't care to punish my transferables.  But in case your wondering a suppressed rifle with a beta will cause it to glow!  It had been shot several times already that day, it wasn't completly cool but then again I don't walk around with a themometer either!  
Mr. Stoner was truely a genius!
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 12:43:46 PM EDT
[#7]
The gas tube is designed to blow carbon directly into the action.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 1:26:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 1:30:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/3/2007 1:39:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

I read the first post, and thought "Uh oh, that poor kid's gonna wish he'd never come here."

It was nice of you to go to so much trouble.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 2:12:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Awesome post....very informative!   Thanks a lot!
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 2:44:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

I read the first post, and thought "Uh oh, that poor kid's gonna wish he'd never come here."

No problemo.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 3:19:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

I thought they were gonna chew my head off but i needed to ask since i want know how it works and i did try searching for it

thank you all for the pics! i feel special
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 3:23:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Damn Molon, those are some good pics.  Not to mention your pics on the F front sight shelf.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 5:17:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top