Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/31/2006 10:27:58 AM EDT
I got this buck this morning with my AR, Bushmaster Lower; Bushmaster V Match flat top upper with a new super lightweight pre-ban 16" barrel with flash hider; Bushnell 3x-9x scope on see through rings off my Desert Eagle; the bullet was a red tip tracer round; (i missed the first 3 shots which were ballistic tip - firing from the hip in thick brush); kill shot back of the neck through the front causing instant kill and broken neck at 50 yards running away.  9 point buck, 4 years old, runnin' with a doe - South Texas at 9:30 a.m. today 12-31-06. bagged and tagged.

lawdawg430

This is a run down of the law in Texas:
1. Whitetail deer, mule deer, big horn sheep and
prong-horned antelope may not be hunted with
rimfire ammunition, including .22, .22 magnum, .17,
etc.
2. Shotguns are the only legal firearm used to hunt
eastern turkey during the spring eastern turkey
season.
3. Rifles and handguns may not be used to hunt
eastern turkey, but the common Rio Grande turkey
in West Texas may be hunted with rifles and
handguns even in the spring season.
4. Pellet guns and other air guns are not legal.
5. Fully automatic firearms are not legal. (This
applies to hunting only and may be legally
possessed if done so according to Federal law.
6. Firearms equipped with silencers or sound
suppressing devices are not legal. (For hunting, but
may be possessed if not used for hunting.)
7. As stated above, there is no limit on magazine
capacity, unless hunting migratory game birds. If
hunting migratory game birds, the magazine
capacity is limited to three shells.
(this excerpt borrowed from David B. Griffith MCLE Article, State Bar of Texas, Lawyers Guns and Money Chp 5, Oct. 24, 2003.)
as you see TEXAS is a virtual gun paradise.

lawdawg430
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:32:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice deer!
Why were you "firing from the hip" for the first 3 shots?
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:42:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Here's the story, on my way out of the ranch, I saw these horns dead ahead trotting in the mesquite thicket, so I pushed the pickup into neutral, killed the motor, grabbed my gun and a mag and hit the ground trotting myself, before I entered the thick brush I saw a doe scamper away behind me, so I knew the buck was ahead of me and would follow the doe, I waited...got impatient and began tracking the buck in the underbrush, i could hear him sort of galloping around but I couldn't see him, as I was crouching to get under a branch and back onto the road he appeared right in front of me, no more than 10 yards, he hit his brakes and tried to reverse, I fired from the hip 3 times thinking I might never see him again and his antlers looked BIG, needless to say, I missed, so I jumped out on the road and he is galloping down it, I take steady aim at his back and fire my fourth shot and he goes tumbling head over heels.  end of story.

ps  it was a road in the ranch, no traffic ever, "from the hip" just means stock not shouldered or not aiming, just pointing for you guys with OCD's.

lawdawg430
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:51:50 AM EDT
[#3]
A tracer????? Any how that is a fine buck happy new year to you!
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:56:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice deer! Don't let nice antlers make you loose your head and be unsafe. Big antlers and big titties sometimes make us do stupid stuff. Happy New Years!
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:58:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Here's the story, on my way out of the ranch, I saw these horns dead ahead trotting in the mesquite thicket, so I pushed the pickup into neutral, killed the motor, grabbed my gun and a mag and hit the ground trotting myself, before I entered the thick brush I saw a doe scamper away behind me, so I knew the buck was ahead of me and would follow the doe, I waited...got impatient and began tracking the buck in the underbrush, i could hear him sort of galloping around but I couldn't see him, as I was crouching to get under a branch and back onto the road he appeared right in front of me, no more than 10 yards, he hit his brakes and tried to reverse, I fired from the hip 3 times thinking I might never see him again and his antlers looked BIG, needless to say, I missed, so I jumped out on the road and he is galloping down it, I take steady aim at his back and fire my fourth shot and he goes tumbling head over heels.  end of story.

lawdawg430

Ok, thanks for the full story.
I was worried that you were going rambo or something
In any case, good job sir.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 11:06:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice buck!  Did the same thing with Radway; 1 shot behind the shoulder was all it took.   Congrats!
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 11:13:52 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

lawdawg430

Shooting at deer from the hip, tracers; sounds pretty Rambo to me.  People like that give hunters and gun owners a bad name, sounds like he needs bitch slapped not good job talk.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 11:18:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Didn't have a grenade?  Why did you post something that makes you look so stupid?  Well I guess many delusional commandos could be proud of your dumb ass.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 11:22:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Should have fixed bayonet and charged....hehehehe

Now that would be a funny video!
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 11:55:52 AM EDT
[#10]
"no more than 10 yards"

+1 on the bayonet.  

Should have saved the ammo....
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 11:59:20 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Didn't have a grenade?  Why did you post something that makes you look so stupid?  Well I guess many delusional commandos could be proud of your dumb ass.  

WHAT! No sound shot! What kind of redneck hunter are you?
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 12:07:09 PM EDT
[#12]
nice buck
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 12:22:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

lawdawg430

Shooting at deer from the hip, tracers; sounds pretty Rambo to me.  People like that give hunters and gun owners a bad name, sounds like he needs bitch slapped not good job talk.

Tracers are the only ammo I got left.  You got your bad name all by your self.  Rambo would have jumped down on the deer from an elevated position with his knife, i think you are just jealous sir.

lawdawg430
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 12:56:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Stop trying to be sensible.  The irresponsible dumb asses far outnumber the sensible, responsible types around here.  Or at least the dumb asses are noiser.  Just wait for a thread involving felons owning guns.  ARFCOM loves a good gun-owning criminal.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 1:37:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I understand where you are coming from, however, if this isnt one of the more irresponsible hunting stories I've ever heard....

1. Not knowing what your target is or what is beyond.
2. improper shooting stance (from the hip?)
3. multiple, unaimed shots
4. improper ammunition (tracer?)

It is a nice buck, but I dont know if I'd go hunting with you
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 1:41:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Wow.  Hunting via recon by fire.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 2:16:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Not to flame but it was irresponsible.  I hate to hear these stories, its does give us a bad reputation as hunters.  No jealousy here, I can assure you.  I have killed probably 10 deer over the years that had been wounded and were dying slow deaths because of the same types of hunting ethics.  I have no problems with you hunting with the 223 but again, I think it is VERY marginal for the game being hunted, especially with the bullets that you mentioned, for deer, at least use a partition or barnes type bullet.  There are too many good choices out there for that to be the one that I pull out of the safe and use.  And, if you weren't hunting for the deer with the rifle, and it was a "its all I had with me" deal, then ethically, if you were not sure of the area beyond the deer and could not take the time to place the shots stratigically (shooting from the hip--do you know where those three rounds ended up?) then the shot(s) should not have been taken and the hunter(used loosely) was letting "buck fever" take over where safety should have intervened.  I'm glad that you did harvest the animal and it is not wounded still out there but remember in the future that the animals deserve your respect and safety should be paramount.  GS
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 2:24:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Lawdawg is either pulling everyones leg with this story or he really is the largest Jackass in the State of Texas.

B
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 2:28:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Is there any way to seach for posts of a certain member?  Dumbass has 70 posts so far and it would be interesting to see if this is as retarded as he gets.  If you have to be a team member it would sure be worth it.

Hunters wonder why landowners don't want them on their land.  

"I sawdid the bushs movein and knewed I hads a bigin,  I tooks out mine machine gun and befer you no'd it I got his ass"
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 3:17:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Add me to the list of those who think this is a BS story and what he did was stupid.

Shoot from the hip 3 shots my ass.  Your pathetic and give hunters a bad name.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 4:20:41 PM EDT
[#21]
He is from Texas, what do you expect, ethical behaviour? Have fun shooting your tracers in the air tonite Bubba.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 4:29:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Is that a 4-position lower parts kit/selector?

Looks like it has the red plate that marks the positions with these kits.

Link Posted: 12/31/2006 4:29:27 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
He is from Texas, what do you expect, ethical behaviour? Have fun shooting your tracers in the air tonite Bubba.  

Seeing as you're posting from VA I guess it is intarweb night for the window lickers at the state hospital.  Did somebody from Maryland help you type and sound out the big words?
You might have noticed that there are several of us that have chided him for his transgression.  
But what am I saying:  it's not like one can expect reading comprehension from an individual from VA.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 4:31:19 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Getting a little out there aren't we? Texans will still be shooting their AR's when your getting a permit to throw dirt clods!
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 4:34:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 4:44:19 PM EDT
[#26]
It would seem that most of the unethical hunting posts come from Texas. Hell that Bubba is just one of many. I bet you Texicans will be paying taxes to Mexico City before Virginians have state gun permits.

You guys in Texas need to get of the computer and get ready to shoot at the moon tonite.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 4:49:34 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seeing as you're posting from VA I guess it is intarweb night for the window lickers at the state hospital.  Did somebody from Maryland help you type and sound out the big words?
You might have noticed that there are several of us that have chided him for his transgression.  
But what am I saying:  it's not like one can expect reading comprehension from an individual from VA.

Steven Austin, hero of the Texas Revolution was from Virginia.

Now that's funny.

Shooting from the hip

Very interesting.  I too would not really like to be roaming in the woods around you.  Although I doubt he was spraying all over the place.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:04:03 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Steven Austin, hero of the Texas Revolution was from Virginia.

Absolutely.  Also had some help from some boys from TN, LA, AL, even NY and several other states.  Not to mention those like Johnny Seguin.
I've got no issue with VA.  I do have issue with those that want to paint all hunters in TX as mouth-breathing bubbas on the efforts of this deedeedee.
Gee, seems like just the sort of thing that was mentioned early in this post has come true.
Thanks lawdawg430!
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:08:13 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I understand where you are coming from, however, if this isnt one of the more irresponsible hunting stories I've ever heard....

1. Not knowing what your target is or what is beyond.
2. improper shooting stance (from the hip?)
3. multiple, unaimed shots
4. improper ammunition (tracer?)

It is a nice buck, but I dont know if I'd go hunting with you

You forgot shooting down a road.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:15:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:22:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Raised in MO IIRC.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:56:03 PM EDT
[#32]
HeyI could not help but read this thread about the hunting part in Texas.  I will not comment on this thread but to say there are some responsible hunters here in Texas.
I went hunting this weekend and got myself a 325 pound wild pig with my AR10 30.06 at three hundred yards with two shots.  The first shot missed his spinal cord by quarter of an inch and I got him with the second shot that went through both lungs.  I got close and finished him off with my .44 Desert Eagle Magnum.  He was is in a clearing with a hill behind him.  Prefect place to shoot him as the bullet would be going to the hill which was all dirt and hardly any rocks.  Just thought I would throw this in, my two cents worth.

James
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 6:06:58 PM EDT
[#33]
I have killed a couple of MO whitetail with neck shots from my CAR.  It can be done, but shot placement is essential.  My nephew took a buck this year with his M4 clone.  Prior to his hunt, I schooled him on the neck shot.  I no longer use the AR for large game, as I desire a quick and definate drop.  The Ruger 30.06 or Savage 50 cal Smokeless Muzzleloader is my weapon of choice.  These are my proven show stoppers.  Now, if I had a 6.8 or .458, that might change things.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 6:17:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Use anything under 25 caliber in VA & get a HUGE fine! We have a name in VA for hunters like that, slob hunters.
Mike
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 6:23:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 6:35:01 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Use anything under 25 caliber in VA & get a HUGE fine! We have a name in VA for hunters like that, slob hunters.
Mike

Yep, you can wound deer all day long with a bow and arrow but you can't kill one with a 22 centerfire.  If killing power makes a slob hunter then all bow hunters are slob hunters by your definition.

BTW,its less than .23 caliber and the fine ain't that huge.  .243 is quite deer legal in VA.

In WV, its any centerfire.

+1 on .243 and not all bow hunters just non-impaired Crossbow hunters.

Link Posted: 12/31/2006 6:36:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Hell, we're such fine shots here in Kentucky we can use a .17 cal. centerfire.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 6:56:49 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Hell, we're such fine shots here in Kentucky we can use a .17 cal. centerfire.

Thats all it takes for Kentuck deer!
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 9:46:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Sorry, my mistake. 23 caliber.hock.gif

Never did I say bow hunters were slob hunters, unless they break the law. Big game hunting with a 22 caliber in VA makes you a slob hunter.
Mike
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:32:29 PM EDT
[#40]
"You don't know man!"  "You weren't there."  Relax guys, sheesh, I was the only "commando" on 5,000 acres and within several miles.  Honestly, that's the way we hunt 50% of the time with a record of safety of 0% accidents.   It wasn't a public road either.  I appreciate all your interest though, some of you are downright funny.  lol  The kill on this animal was a neck shot and we have already begun processing the meat with no waste, better than you wusses with the .270 shoulder shots and its far better than these bow and arrow guys.  Honestly, I am no Dick Cheney, and I have my license and have lived on this ranch all of my life.  I think you guys are showing your jealousy a bit much, I guess I should have tackled the buck and loved it or something.  I gave this buck a fitting and dignified end, better than you yahoo's are giving him...

lawdawg430

dear hunter
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:50:57 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Is that a 4-position lower parts kit/selector?

Looks like it has the red plate that marks the positions with these kits.

No and Yes, the plate came with the lower that fires only semi and the safety selector is the legal 2 position with no full or burst selection.  I removed that pic so as to not cause further inflammation of my critics. lol

lawdawg430

a safe and legal deer hunter
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 11:58:03 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
"You don't know man!"  "You weren't there."  Relax guys, sheesh, I was the only "commando" on 5,000 acres and within several miles.  Honestly, that's the way we hunt 50% of the time with a record of safety of 0% accidents.   It wasn't a public road either.  I appreciate all your interest though, some of you are downright funny.  lol  The kill on this animal was a neck shot and we have already begun processing the meat with no waste, better than you wusses with the .270 shoulder shots and its far better than these bow and arrow guys.  Honestly, I am no Dick Cheney, and I have my license and have lived on this ranch all of my life.  I think you guys are showing your jealousy a bit much, I guess I should have tackled the buck and loved it or something.  I gave this buck a fitting and dignified end, better than you yahoo's are giving him...

lawdawg430

dear hunter

The buck does even not enter into this. Its a nice buck, its dead, end of story. Its the way it was killed that is the problem.  I ain't real sure about the rifle either. Looked a little fishy to me. There might be a reason for the spray and pray! I love baiting Texans as much as the next guy but Bubba you really need to keep your hunting adventures to yourself if you can't do any better than that. Most people that hunt ain't real thrilled by "hunters" using a .223 to hunt deer with anyway, legal or not. I would damn sure keep the pics of that (5 yrs in club fed) rifle of yours of of the site. But hey, no one ever accused Texans of being smart anyway.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 6:45:03 AM EDT
[#43]

I think you guys are showing your jealousy a bit much,

Jealous of what?  The fact that you had to shoot a buck 4 times to get it down?  Please, I'm sure most of us here are not jealous of your Cull buck :)
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 7:04:16 AM EDT
[#44]
There are so many f--d up things about that "huntin'" story I don't even know here to start.  Not sure what's worse, the fact that you fired three rounds from the hip, shot it with a tracer, or that you were even using a .223 for deer to begin with in S. Texas.  Were you drinking too?

Yep, you'd have be thrown off of every single hunting lease or ranch I've ever been on in the last 20 years.  You come back to camp with a story like that on a lease or ranch with my hunting buddies and we'd have run your azz out of there on a rail.

And people wonder why so much of the general public has a bad image of hunters.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 7:07:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 7:10:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 7:32:55 AM EDT
[#47]
FL has vast numbers of Ramboian hunters.  Go to a WMA and it sounds like a war zone.  I'm going to invent some sort of sandbag system for tree stands so the Ramboians can be protected of the deer mount a charge.

The .223 is marginal at best for deer and the AR is a pretty bulky platform to launch 1 bullet.  I just don't see the need.

Bows can be good killers but they are much more difficult to shoot well than a rifle.  I have seen people than could hardy hit a bail of hay at 15 yards taking off into the woods.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 8:00:53 AM EDT
[#48]
I only take broadside or slightly quartering-away shots, and NEVER shoot at a running deer. If I happen to jump up a big buck while walking into my stand, I don't even bother to raise my shotgun.

[reply]

Never shoot running deer? damn you must be hunting under feeders.

I have only shot one standing deer in the last seven years, all others were running full speed.

Am I an unsafe hunter? no our group plans everything out and has approved lanes of fire as we have to push deer if in a group.

Still hunting is something completely different.

And last but not least, if you are uncomfortable in your ability to lead a running deer and drop it with a kill shot, don't.

It takes practice.

PS unless your stand hunting you may never see a deer standing still.

It is a rare occasion to sneak up on one.

I guess you guys will flame away, but I can assure you at least I am telling the truth.

I do not hunt with anyone but Military, or someone of many, many years experience.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 8:09:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 8:18:36 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I only take broadside or slightly quartering-away shots, and NEVER shoot at a running deer. If I happen to jump up a big buck while walking into my stand, I don't even bother to raise my shotgun.

[reply]

Never shoot running deer? damn you must be hunting under feeders.

I have only shot one standing deer in the last seven years, all others were running full speed.

Am I an unsafe hunter? no our group plans everything out and has approved lanes of fire as we have to push deer if in a group.

Still hunting is something completely different.

And last but not least, if you are uncomfortable in your ability to lead a running deer and drop it with a kill shot, don't.

It takes practice.

PS unless your stand hunting you may never see a deer standing still.

It is a rare occasion to sneak up on one.

I guess you guys will flame away, but I can assure you at least I am telling the truth.

I do not hunt with anyone but Military, or someone of many, many years experience.

My family have been shooting running deer forever.  At the rifle range I belong to, we have a running deer target.  It is not that strange to shoot at a moving animal.  Problem is, we just can't get them to stay still for very long. Especially when we're walking through the woods in effort to find some.  If it's someone's perrogative to not shoot at a running deer, I don't have a problem with that, but if that was the case for everyone, I think deer kills would drop to about a 1/3 of what they are now.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top