Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/14/2006 7:37:10 AM EDT
I have owned 2 Colts, 1 sporter and one hbar. 2 Armalite's, AR10, and an M4 (I made). and an upper from Bushmaster. I saw this S&W one and couldnt resist. I called S&W and found out that stag made them which didnt bother me and they also said that they were going to take it over in a few months and build it in their own factory. I was just wondering how they are and how they compare to the ones I have had before. I have shot a DPMS of my friends also and a Wilson version of which I live about 30min from their HQ. I couldnt see paying that much for one but I love going to their store anyway. Thanks for the help.
Eugene
Link Posted: 12/14/2006 7:55:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got one & like it but being new to ARs I don't have a basis for comparison. It seems as well made as any of the others I handled at the fun show when I bought it. Time will tell.
Link Posted: 12/14/2006 8:19:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't have an 15A, but I do have a 15T  I've also owned a RRA, and a Bushy.  I've shot oly's, colts, etc.  They are a good AR, nothing more, nothing less.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2006 8:24:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Why ask how it is AFTER you bought it??
Link Posted: 12/14/2006 8:46:52 AM EDT
[#4]

My thoughts exactly!!!

Doc
Link Posted: 12/14/2006 5:24:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Because I feel like asking. Dont worry about why I did, just answer or leave this thread alone.
Link Posted: 12/14/2006 5:26:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Why did you buy a complete rifle, knowing that it was just a bunch of Stag parts?  Especially given that you've already built a rifle on your own?
Link Posted: 12/14/2006 5:29:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Like $500 cheaper Stag Arms model without the Smith & Wesson nameplate.
Link Posted: 12/14/2006 5:31:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I didnt know they were stag until later. I dont know anything about stag except from what I have heard. I have heard it both ways. Good and bad. I got it cheap enough though. So if it is a pile at least I can sell it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2006 5:38:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I did a search here and found this, I havent read all of the searches but this one satisfied me;

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=305413
Link Posted: 12/14/2006 6:31:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I posted this in another thread:

I was in a three day carbine operators course a couple of months ago in which there was two S&W rifles. One of the shooters with a S&W was beside me during the class. We put between 800-1000 rounds down range. The only problem I observed was the factory failed to use Loc-Tite on the folding sights mounting screws. The front sight fell off and the rear was loose. After putting Loc-Tite on the sight mounting screws there was not another problem with this rifle. I did not observe any malfunctions with these two rifles. I even shot three mags through one.

They are very tight rifles as mentioned before. Also, we just got two in to test and evaluate.

I would buy one in a heart beat. But I already have three AR's with a lower on the way for an SBR.
Link Posted: 12/14/2006 7:21:46 PM EDT
[#11]
It has a big S&W logo on it and everything else is pretty much the same as the rest of the lot.
Link Posted: 12/14/2006 7:27:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I sometimes ask because I have a waiting period and I get all ancy and just want someone to "tell me about it" while I wait and twiddle my thumbs.  

But I see the poster is from Arizona and I don't think they have waiting periods, or do they?
Link Posted: 12/15/2006 1:43:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I have the MP15A as you do and am impressed with the overall quality when compared with my other 2 ARs. Unless you bought it from Sky High Gun Sales, I doubt you would save $500 bucks on a home build given the options you have. I paid $840 plus tax, so for a savings of $500 that would mean you could build the same rifle for $340? What a deal!!
Link Posted: 12/15/2006 10:36:22 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Where are you buying Stag rifles for $350?
Link Posted: 12/15/2006 11:11:10 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what I'd like to know.
Link Posted: 12/15/2006 11:25:33 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, please tell me also. I'd like to buy half a dozen at that price.
Link Posted: 12/18/2006 6:14:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I have owned mine for about 6 months . Between my brother and myself we have put at least 5k rounds down range maybe more . The only issue we had was one day we were giving it the work out of a life time . After about 700 rounds we had a cassing expand in the chamber. Not the guns fault at all . I Love mine and my brother is getting ready to purchase one .  
Link Posted: 12/18/2006 6:33:07 PM EDT
[#18]
If you just bought it and you want to know how it is, then go find out.  

Link Posted: 12/18/2006 6:37:33 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
If you just bought it and you want to know how it is, then go find out.  

I aint got it yet. I guess you will need to be the 1st to know when I do though.
Link Posted: 12/18/2006 6:46:59 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
HOW ARE THEY?

In my opinion they are OVERPRICED. I was at the rip off show this weekend and S&W M&P were always atleast 100 more than All other equiv. models
Link Posted: 12/18/2006 7:12:00 PM EDT
[#21]
when S+W stops putting their name on them in a couple of years, you'll have a collectors item worth twice the price of a colt. shoot it and hang onto it, unless it's a lemon. i "own" a bushy, an Oly, and a FN on a DPMS, all are great, i don't see why the Smith should be any different.
Link Posted: 12/19/2006 3:03:39 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
when S+W stops putting their name on them in a couple of years, you'll have a collectors item worth twice the price of a colt. shoot it and hang onto it, unless it's a lemon. i "own" a bushy, an Oly, and a FN on a DPMS, all are great, i don't see why the Smith should be any different.

I accually told my brother that they might get to be collectors item. Of the ones I have had and that isnt that many, I prefer Armalite, Busmaster then Colt in that order. I almost went with an Armalite but saw this one. I got it cheap enough though if it is a lemon I can sell it and make a buck.
Link Posted: 12/19/2006 5:25:04 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I even shot three mags through one.....

A whole 3 mags (90 rounds) and it didn't malfunction once!  Man you have high standards!!

Just giving you a hard time.  90 rounds through a gun with no malfunctions is no big deal what so ever.
Link Posted: 12/19/2006 8:02:39 AM EDT
[#24]
that 4500 rnds that G&A did was cool though.
Link Posted: 12/19/2006 8:42:34 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A whole 3 mags (90 rounds) and it didn't malfunction once!  Man you have high standards!!

Just giving you a hard time.  90 rounds through a gun with no malfunctions is no big deal what so ever.

I guess you missed the 1st part where he said it was part of a 3 day course were total round count was in the 800-1000 range?
Link Posted: 12/19/2006 1:13:05 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
HOW ARE THEY?

In my opinion they are OVERPRICED. I was at the rip off show this weekend and S&W M&P were always atleast 100 more than All other equiv. models

You complain about it being overpriced based on gun show prices?  
Link Posted: 12/19/2006 2:16:44 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
HOW ARE THEY?

A gunshow is not really the place to be price shopping...
Link Posted: 12/19/2006 3:27:37 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm likeing mine.  Didn't feel especially ripped off by the price either . . .

Once I pony up for a real membership I'm planning on becoming an advocate of this particular brand of rifle
Link Posted: 12/19/2006 5:00:12 PM EDT
[#29]

90 rounds through a gun with no malfunctions is no big deal what so ever.

I'm aware of that and I have very high standards for rifles especially since my life depends on them at times.  I won't even considering trusting a rifle unles I have a 1000 plus rounds through it without a weapon related malfunction.
Link Posted: 12/19/2006 5:21:10 PM EDT
[#30]
i've got the regular MP 15 with the detach. carry handle. paid 900 out the door for it this summer. went to a 3 day rifle class back in november and put around 7-800 rounds through it. didnt clean it the entire time, just lubed it a little on the third day as it was starting to get gritty inside.  only malfunction i had was ammo related (adcom) where the primer blew out and got stuck in the locking lug area of the chamber.

since then i've put around 1000 through it and had no problems whatsoever. its a very tight gun, and i still need to use a punch to pop the take down pins.

about the only real issue i had with it was when i put a TD grip on it. there was a gap. called TD and they said that the screw hole on the receiver was probably out of spec, as that had happened with a lot of stags. i modded the grip slightly by opening up the screw hole (at TD"s suggestion) and it went on like butter.

overall i'm very happy with it and would recommend it to anyone. i know its same as stag, but with the S&W name on it, it might have higher resale should i ever lose my mind and decide to get rid of it. even if it doesn't, no biggie.
Link Posted: 12/19/2006 5:27:32 PM EDT
[#31]
I'll stand by Stag Arms any day. They make good stuff. I've never shot a M&P15 but I'd buy one given the money.
Link Posted: 12/19/2006 5:30:30 PM EDT
[#32]

I'll stand by Stag Arms any day.

I agree.  I'm performing tactical modifications to a new one now.  It will be ready and running tomorrow.
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 1:16:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Well I got it today. I havent got to shoot it but as far as it looks, it looks good. Good finish, parts fit, overall apearance. Tomorrow, Lord willin, I will try to get it out and shoot it. The only problem is that my rear sight is drilled out of center. I have the 15A and the long range sight hole is drilled off a little. I figure they will replace it. Anyway, I will update once I get some lead downrange.
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 1:26:41 PM EDT
[#34]
I've checked these rifles out at the store, handled them, but never shot one. I'm sure they are built well, but you could have built a rifle on your own, with better parts and barrel for cheaper than the MSRP on this rifle. For a couple hundred more you could of gotten a POF 416 and saved yourself a lot of cleaning time...
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 1:45:08 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess you missed the 1st part where he said it was part of a 3 day course were total round count was in the 800-1000 range?

I saw that but wondered why he would talk about 3 mags being a big deal.
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 3:58:18 PM EDT
[#36]
height=8
Quoted:

really where? I can get a S&W ar15 for 800, where can you find one for 300?
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 4:08:28 PM EDT
[#37]
M&P=Stag=The shiznit
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 5:02:20 PM EDT
[#38]
I purchased one for the department, good fit and finish, didn't have to crank the windage like a few of the Bushmasters that we have.  It grouped well with no stopages in about 500 rounds. Cost the town $950, we use it as a patrol rifle.
Link Posted: 12/21/2006 3:15:45 PM EDT
[#39]
I went and shot about 100 rnds or a little more through it today and one shell was bad and that was it. But man was the sights way off. I dont like the idea of no rear elevation settings. As far as I can tell you have to use the front sight. Which I almost have it level with the side guards. I had to put about 8 left clicks or maybee a few more but I finnaly got it close. It still is a little high at 100yds about 6" but I can just get used to it I dont want the front sight to come out.
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 5:52:07 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Roger that, YOU bought it... it's customary to tell us what your opinion is of your new gun.  
That's kinda like asking someone else "Do I feel hungry?"
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 8:31:34 AM EDT
[#41]
DERRRRRR!

Quoted:

Quoted:

Roger that, YOU bought it... it's customary to tell us what your opinion is of your new gun.  
That's kinda like asking someone else "Do I feel hungry?"
Link Posted: 1/7/2007 6:11:47 PM EDT
[#42]
I just got my M&P 15A yesterday and the sights were almost dead on.  The gun functioned great and I personally like all of the S&W logos, big fan of Smith.
Link Posted: 1/10/2007 7:10:09 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm curious when the democrats start the new and improved assault weapons ban, will S & W stand up and fight for the gun owner rights? Or will they cave?  I look at the frame locks on their revolvers and have pretty much decided when the rubber meets the road S & W will cave to the powers that be.  I'd rather put my money into an AR company that will stand up and fight.
Link Posted: 1/10/2007 9:46:38 PM EDT
[#44]
cowards they may be but they make excellent firearms. hopefully they learned and Lord willin the democraps wont try it again but.....
Link Posted: 1/11/2007 4:39:30 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I'm curious when the democrats start the new and improved assault weapons ban, will S & W stand up and fight for the gun owner rights? Or will they cave?  I look at the frame locks on their revolvers and have pretty much decided when the rubber meets the road S & W will cave to the powers that be.  I'd rather put my money into an AR company that will stand up and fight.

Like Colt?  
Link Posted: 1/11/2007 2:05:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Why would one  buy a rifle that is nothing but complete Stag with a S&W logo and pay $400-$600 more for it?And i called around and there are no A3 style for $800 and cant even get a Stag or DPMS With a flatop with removable carry handle for $800,You guys must get some serious deals as the cheapest price i can get is a DPMS AP4 for $850,Stag upper and lower seperate for $775 plus $20 FFL,Busmaster Patrolman $850 and so after taxes 2 extra mags and 500 rounds ammo i would have around $1125 out of pocketNow RRA is even more if i go to a dealer as a flat top starts at $900-$925 with no back sightThink i may really stay with the AKs for play toys as i could get 2-3 with all sorts of toys and not be WASR10 rifles either.
Link Posted: 1/11/2007 2:50:29 PM EDT
[#47]
If you compare the ones you mentioned to the S&W, the RRA and DPMS they arent finished like the S&W. The smith is much cleaner and more care taken to make a clean rifle. I know that doesnt mean nothing out in the field but it is like body work on a car. You pay more for better work.
Link Posted: 1/11/2007 3:12:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Just thought I would come to page 2 and make some dumbass comment as if I did not read the whole first page..........

Never mind.......too many people beat me to it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2007 6:55:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Dont let those "You should have got a Stag for cheaper" comments get to you.

Its simply not the case, unless you find a killer deal, they just arent cheaper.
90% of the Stag comments are due to those ppl being loyal to Stag, or not liking S&W.

I am after a M&P15T, but I am having a hard time finding one in stock at a nice price.
I got the same comments, telling me to just build one with Stag parts for cheaper.
Its NOT cheaper.  Especially if you want the M&P15T
There are about $600 worth of Troy parts on the T model,
it would cost you damn near the Exact same price to build one,
and then you would have to go through the trouble of building it yourself.

The S&W is said to have a great fit, and a better finish.
I also have had great experiences with S&W products, so I am confident they can make/assemble, what ever you want to call it, a fine quality product.

~John
Link Posted: 4/3/2007 7:29:14 AM EDT
[#50]
So what's the verdict?
I just bought one myself but can't shoot til Friday.]
$850 for the M4 model
I broke out in a sweat when they told me the price
and just said sign me up.

oh yeah, it was the tightest AR I have seen, not that I've
handled a WHOLE LOT, but there was no gap or play between
receivers, no "daylight" and the pins were so tight I couldn't take
it down with my pocket knife.  Maybe if I tried harder, but like I
said up there, I was anxious.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top