Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/28/2006 10:17:00 PM EDT
Does anyone know if a either a AR15 or M16 Vietnam Commemorative Edition exists? If so, how much for either/or?  Any info would be helpful.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2006 10:49:59 PM EDT
[#1]
The american Historical foundation released a few different
COLT commeratives.  The years of release are not listed in the
Blue book but they list the following models:

Colt M-16 Vietman war
Colt M-16 Vietman Tribute
Colt Armed forces M-16 Navy
Colt Armed forces M-16 Marines
Colt Armed forces M-16 Army
Colt Armed forces M-16 Air Force

Bushmaster (BFI) also released a M-16 Airborne commerative.

ETA: here is a pic i found of one of them.

Hope this helps.

KyAKGuy

Link Posted: 11/28/2006 11:07:03 PM EDT
[#2]
All of those are named M-16? Are they FA???

I just saw one, damn if I can remember where.

$2500 iirc, NIB

And also iirc, those would be C&R eligible.

Link Posted: 11/29/2006 2:54:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Bling!
Link Posted: 11/29/2006 12:22:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
All of those are named M-16? Are they FA???

I just saw one, damn if I can remember where.

$2500 iirc, NIB

And also iirc, those would be C&R eligible.

They were avalible, back in the day, as either Full or Semi auto. The one you saw for $2500 is semi, unless the seller is really stupid.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 5:10:05 AM EDT
[#5]
What does the rollmark say on the lower?
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 5:14:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Wow it even comes w/ an authentic synthetic bipod!!

ETA: Is it just me or have that furniture been sprayed with a textured finish?

Makes you wonder what kind of P.O.S. lurks beneath.

Who actually made the lower?
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 5:26:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Wow it even comes w/ an authentic synthetic bipod!!

ETA: Is it just me or have that furniture been sprayed with a textured finish?

Makes you wonder what kind of P.O.S. lurks beneath.

Who actually made the lower?

Those bipods were actually an available issued item back in the day I believe. They are pictured in the old manuals too. And the texture was probably added to brighten the stock up a bit. Regular textured stocks and handguards would have probably detracted from the appearance.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 5:48:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Those bipods were actually an available issued item back in the day I believe. They are pictured in the old manuals too. And the texture was probably added to brighten the stock up a bit. Regular textured stocks and handguards would have probably detracted from the appearance.

The bipods from that era look similar but were made of sheet metal.

I'm unaware of those Butler Creek abortions ever being an issue item.

ETA:

To the OP,

Is this something you intend to shoot or display only?

Even if you intend to display only you could put one of these together w/ parts of known

origin and add any bling yourself for less.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 6:34:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Fulton Armory makes a Vietnam-style AR-15 (semi-auto only, but otherwise seems identical to the old model; triangle handguards, windage-only rear sight, etc). Fulton Armory has a good reputation, but they're expensive.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 8:09:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Thats hidious looking, The gold is too much, why could they not just do a standard A1 build, and maybe a special rollmarked lower, would be much more pleasing to the eye
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 8:51:49 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Fulton Armory makes a Vietnam-style AR-15 (semi-auto only, but otherwise seems identical to the old model; triangle handguards, windage-only rear sight, etc). Fulton Armory has a good reputation, but they're expensive.

Perhaps the upper half identical, but the lower receiver is A2 all the way.

The slickside upper should have a slab-side or partial mag fence lower receiver.

The lower receiver shown is an A2 model with full fence, reinforced forward take-down pin flanges, and reinforcement added on the back of the lower receiver where the buffer tube attaches.

For details on different models go to:

M16/AR15 Retro Forum

or

Retro Black Rifles

Regards,

Zip

Link Posted: 11/30/2006 9:39:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Thats hidious looking, The gold is too much, why could they not just do a standard A1 build, and maybe a special rollmarked lower, would be much more pleasing to the eye

You must not be familiar with the American Historical Foundation.  Back in the 1980s and 90s, every month I opened a copy of Guns and Ammo magazine to see a new 'commemorative" something or other, from M7 bayonets to 1911 pistols, Thompson 1927A1s dressed out to look like M1A1 SMGs, Springfield M1As etc., and all of it finished in glossy, gold-plated schlock.  This stuff was never intended to be a simple reproduction, it was gaudy, tacky, intentionally "collectible" crap from day one.

The Vietnam commemorative AR-15 was made by Bushmaster.  And they were all semi-auto.
Link Posted: 11/30/2006 10:03:44 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Perhaps the upper half identical, but the lower receiver is A2 all the way.

The slickside upper should have a slab-side or partial mag fence lower receiver.

The lower receiver shown is an A2 model with full fence, reinforced forward take-down pin flanges, and reinforcement added on the back of the lower receiver where the buffer tube attaches.

For details on different models go to:

M16/AR15 Retro Forum

or

Retro Black Rifles

Regards,

Zip

Ah. My knowledge of ARs doesn't go that deep, I will admit. Apologies for passing on false information.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top