Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/6/2006 5:46:50 PM EDT
I have noticed Ar kits on gunbroker & guns America from Blackthorne

I have never heard of this company, who are they? they don't have a website atleast not one that came up in google any one got any experience with Blackthorne?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/6/2006 6:05:14 PM EDT
[#1]
www.blackthorneproducts.com/

There is another post about these guys. I've never heard of them, but then, I'm no expert. Seems to be pretty low prices, low enough to make you wonder
Link Posted: 11/6/2006 6:21:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I have sent Blackthorne the following email I will post their reply If I get one....

I am getting ready to start a new build, I am curious about your products which I saw on gunbroker I currently prefer Rock River Arms. A few questions....

What is you customer service like?

What kind of accuraccy are your uppers getting?

Where are your kits made (country/state)?

Customer service, do you have any?

Why should I try your company over Rock River whom I know?

I will post your reply on ar15.com threads
Link Posted: 11/6/2006 6:25:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I just checked em out, good prices, a little too good to be true maybe? I'm liking the idea of a $35 A2 detachable carry handle... The question is, will the sight be crap? :)
Link Posted: 11/6/2006 6:40:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I just checked em out, good prices, a little too good to be true maybe? I'm liking the idea of a $35 A2 detachable carry handle... The question is, will the sight be crap? :)

It will be a craptastic Chinese one.
Link Posted: 11/6/2006 6:41:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree those prices do seem a little low but in their FAQ section they do say that they dont make any guarantee about accuracy but that they will take care of any problems as far as defects in quality or workmanship  goes. I still have to wonder though.
Link Posted: 11/6/2006 6:41:39 PM EDT
[#6]
They don't make lowers at all....
Link Posted: 11/6/2006 6:46:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
It will be a craptastic Chinese one.

Oh sweet, well apparently Phoebus has purchased at LEAST the A2 Carry Handle they offer, apparently he doesn't like it. Did you buy anything else from them Phoebus? Give us some reviews
[/sarcasm]
Link Posted: 11/6/2006 6:47:51 PM EDT
[#8]
WOW, extremely cheap. One of ya'll need to build one and give me a range report.
Link Posted: 11/6/2006 6:52:48 PM EDT
[#9]
The email I sent may be the start of such a build if I get a reply i forgot to ask how old the company is
Link Posted: 11/6/2006 7:03:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The email I sent may be the start of such a build if I get a reply i forgot to ask how old the company is

Please keep us posted.
Link Posted: 11/6/2006 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#11]
it makes me think some of the add on parts might be airsoft
carry handles
rails stuff like that
Link Posted: 11/6/2006 7:19:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I see that they are in St. Paul MN.  I wonder if their parts are DPMS?  The list of specs for their rifle kits seems to mirror the list of specs for the DPMS kits too. $366 for a light weight flat top rifle kit? $100 for a 16" heavy profile barrel?
Link Posted: 11/6/2006 7:19:33 PM EDT
[#13]
just found this in there FAQ on the page

How accurate are these guns?
The parts kits that we sell will probably out perform the shooter.  With that said, there are NO guarantees of accuracy on any products  Blackthorne Products sells.  If you want an accuracy guarantee, spend the extra $1,000.00 and buy a big name brand gun that guarantees it’s accuracy.  If there is a defect in materials and/or workmanship, we will, by all means, rectify the situation.
Link Posted: 11/6/2006 8:11:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I see that they are in St. Paul MN.  I wonder if their parts are DPMS?  The list of specs for their rifle kits seems to mirror the list of specs for the DPMS kits too. $366 for a light weight flat top rifle kit? $100 for a 16" heavy profile barrel?

Highly possible. I was looking at the pic of the lightweight kit, and it appears to have a .750 FSB, with light bbl in front, just like DPMS's.
Link Posted: 11/6/2006 8:28:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Sorry gentlemen, but I think that this is another Hesse / Vulcan spinoff.  Take a look at these two auctions:

This is for a Vulcan:  http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=59602260

This is for a Blackthorne:  http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=59747594

Both are from the same location, INVER GROVE HEIGHTS, MN 55076 and notice the blue tarp background?

Also, here is the address for Vulcan Armament:

Vulcan Arms, Inc.
P.O. Box 2473
S. St. Paul, MN 55076-8473

Here is the address for Blackthorne Products:

Blackthorne Products LLC
PO Box 2441
South Saint Paul, MN 55076

Both are located in the same post office.

Coincidence?  
Link Posted: 11/6/2006 8:29:18 PM EDT
[#16]
My thoughts when I found the site was that they get their parts from DPMS.  

If so the question would be whether they are first run parts, factory over run parts, or factory seconds.

In any case if the local shop still has a DPMS lower in stock, I plan on ordering a kit from them.

Link Posted: 11/6/2006 8:43:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Dang, their prices ARE low. $125 for what looks like a DPMS lightweight 16" AR barrel?  I was kicking myself in the backside for missing a sale somewhere else at $140!  And Midway's dealer price on that barrel, assuming it is the DPMS barrel, is $159.

And bare A3 forged uppers for $45?  I may have to build that third AR I've been wanting!  

Edited to add:  Uh-oh, possibly another Hesse incarnation.  And here when I saw their picture links came from "akpartskits.com" I thought it was just JoeKen's evil twin.
Link Posted: 11/6/2006 11:37:22 PM EDT
[#18]
I have several DPMS rifles and parts, their stuff does not look like the stuff on Blackthornes site

I might second the Hesse guess
Link Posted: 11/7/2006 5:45:15 AM EDT
[#19]
NOOOOO HeXXe, Vulcan, Blackthorn... Rund for the hills.. Hell, that outfit has went by soo many names, I can't even remember them all.
Link Posted: 11/7/2006 5:56:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/7/2006 6:08:26 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
contact e-mail is akpartskits.com, which is vulcan/hesse

From Google

akpartskits.comWelcome to the Vulcan Group Inc. website. Vulcan Group Inc. is the premier manufacturer of state-of-the-art firearms and accessories.
akpartskits.com/ - 5k - Cached - Similar pages

Link Posted: 11/7/2006 6:33:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Geezus... Another sh!tty company trying to peddle it's crap under a different name to avoid the barrage of ridicule. Sounds like a certain HK clone manufacturer we all know and hate.
Link Posted: 11/7/2006 6:44:22 AM EDT
[#23]
What is the old saying, "If it looks to good to be true, it probably is".
Link Posted: 11/7/2006 7:17:47 AM EDT
[#24]
probably will work for a really cheap beater though...................who knows, it might work great.
Link Posted: 11/7/2006 8:36:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Hesse Vulcan etc - problem solved
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top