Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2006 4:02:51 PM EDT
I'm a Noob to black rifles.  Been lurking around this site for a while, read all the pages as far back as I could...

Anyways here is my delima.
I have an opportunity to buy a lightly used (around 500 rounds) Colt A2 with a 20" bbl made in 1999 for $700.

The Colt needs a trigger job

I'd like a flattop upper, my plan is to use it for long range/varmint shooting.
And scoping the A2 handle doesn't appeal to me

Is the Colt worth buying and using it as a platform for what I want, or will I be better off just buying a RRA varmint..

And I know $700 is a good deal on a Colt.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:05:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy the Colt, sell the upper on the EE, get the upper you want.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:13:29 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Buy the Colt, sell the upper on the EE, get the upper you want.

+1.  Do it now.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:23:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy it!
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:40:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Will I have to get a complete upper assembly or can I get a stripped upper and use(most of) the Colt parts...

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:48:48 PM EDT
[#5]
the quickest turnaround would be to sell the complete upper then get another complete one for yourself. this Colt, small pin, large pin?
Midwinter

oh, welcome aboard1
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:53:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Welcome on board!   BUY IT!!!!!! NOW!!!
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:57:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Will I have to get a complete upper assembly or can I get a stripped upper and use(most of) the Colt parts...

Thanks

An upper doesn't really have many parts.  Barrel nuts, gas tubes are pretty much all the same.  If you wanted to keep the Colt barrel you could, but you might want a different profile or material for your shooting needs.  It would be more cost effective to just sell the upper as complete.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:13:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Thats what I thought...sounds good.  I figure I could get a better barrel for my needs.  This way I get a 'Colt' lower...if that really means anything...BTW...Thanks for the welcome
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:47:09 PM EDT
[#9]
BUY IT BRO!!!  There are so many good parts in that setup.  You can always buy this little piece to get your flattop.

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:35:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I already have 8 30 round NHMTG mags I bought 'Just in case the election goes awry'  with the original intention of using them in a Sig 556....well the Sig still looks like vapor and the the AR is a proven rifle....with a lot more options...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top