Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/1/2006 5:16:44 PM EDT
Working on a 16" Recce build, and pricing the stocks. Some stocks have H buffers, some don't. Do I really need one, or is it like the M4 feed ramps that some people think I don't need either?
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:24:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Come on, guys, 27 views and counting and I can't get one opinion?
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:25:49 PM EDT
[#2]
A properly functioning carbine *should* only require a normal buffer.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:27:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Sure. It can't hurt.

If you don't know the function of the heavier buffers I will tell you.

I run either H or h2 or 9mm buffers in my carbines.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:28:42 PM EDT
[#4]
No.. You don't. The standard Buffer will serve you well.

Heres a 12 year old standard Buffer with 14K thru it. Only reason I'm not using it is a got a new one with an H buffer.  Did not notice a pinch of difference.

I would not have specifically sought a H buffer, pick the stock you  want and take what ever buffer comes with it.

Oh, did I mention that I DID NOT have any M4 feed ramps during those 12 years and 14K rds.......
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:40:20 PM EDT
[#5]
There we go, one for and three against.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:55:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I can't actually notice a difference between a standard or an H buffer when shooting. Not saying it doesn't make the gun a little more reliable, just saying I can't tell the difference behind the trigger.

Now a 9mm buffer.... thats another story.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:18:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I can't actually notice a difference between a standard or an H buffer when shooting. Not saying it doesn't make the gun a little more reliable, just saying I can't tell the difference behind the trigger.

Now a 9mm buffer.... thats another story.

Story time!
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:42:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Okay gather round everybody! When I put in a 9mm buffer, you can definately notice the rifle cycles slower and smoother. As to whether or not the recoil is less, I can't really tell, but it definately shoots more like a full length gas system than a carbine.
And they lived happily ever after. The end.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:43:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Okay gather round everybody! When I put in a 9mm buffer, you can definately notice the rifle cycles slower and smoother. As to whether or not the recoil is less, I can't really tell, but it definately shoots more like a full length gas system than a carbine.
And they lived happily ever after. The end.

Hooray!

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:07:20 PM EDT
[#10]
The weight difference in CAR and H buffers is not enough to tell unless you are shooting full auto where the cyclic rate is noticable.  The H buffer is going to be a LOT like having M4 feed ramps... theoretically better but no real world difference you are likely to notice.  I have noticed a big change with 9mm buffers on shot recovery in DI rifles.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:12:37 PM EDT
[#11]
you dont really need one--stock CAR buffer should work fine

h/w, some who may have had tweeking problems have found thier solution w/ a H/H3 buffer; others who use the heavier buffer have better reviews w/ recoil

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 10:54:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Not necessary.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 3:12:58 AM EDT
[#13]
On a semi-auto only firearm, there is no need for anything other than a standard buffer. The H and H2 buffers are designed for use with selective fire weapons . The problems they were designed to solve will not affect semi-auto only fire. Colt does not reccomend putting 9mm buffers in any of their 5.56mm carbines.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 5:14:25 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
On a semi-auto only firearm, there is no need for anything other than a standard buffer. The H and H2 buffers are designed for use with selective fire weapons . The problems they were designed to solve will not affect semi-auto only fire. Colt does not reccomend putting 9mm buffers in any of their 5.56mm carbines.

And COLT is always right

I used to run enidine buffers in my uppers, but have switched to 9mm buffers as they are more reliable and smoother.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:09:18 AM EDT
[#15]
OK, so the H or 9mm buffers really only make a difference on full auto, ditto the M4 ramps.

My at-work gun, an M4/203, obviously has both, and I'm thinking my key to reliability involves making the home gun as much like the work gun as possible. It's a 16" midlength, so I'm not sure what that does to the ramp and buffer needs.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:55:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 9:10:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Well, my FH is a Vortex, and Smith won't sell their suppressor that connects to the Vortex to civilians. I don't think they'll sell it to me in my civilian capacity.

I might put a can on there someday though, and if I have that kind of cash I won't care about having to change the FH.

So skip the M4 ramps, skip the H buffer.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 9:26:34 AM EDT
[#18]
I'd get the ramps.  I'm pretty sure most uppers from good manufacturers come with them anyway.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 10:04:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 10:27:56 AM EDT
[#20]
My AR`S  work with
regular buffer
H
H2
9mm

The 2  9mm buffers RRA makes are pretty nice and are cheaper than H3
and they do work as everyone states

its up to you
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 10:42:14 AM EDT
[#21]
If the price for the H buffer isn't too much more than the standard buffer, I'd go with the H.  It can't hurt.  

I bought a VLTOR stock and got a free H buffer with it.  I used the H buffer and kept the standard for a backup.  

My two .223/5.56 AR carbines have H buffers.  I've never had a problem with either AR lower using three different uppers including a 11.5".  

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 11:49:39 AM EDT
[#22]
The standard works in all my carbines just fine.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top