Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/1/2006 10:50:06 AM EDT
I know if you make a SBR you have to file paper work with the BATF and pay a $200 tax before you can complete the build.

If you are buying one from a person who has completed the process what do you need to do, is there another tax due or do they supply you with a copy of their paper work?

Thanks

Jim
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 10:53:50 AM EDT
[#1]
in state or out of state transfer?

Is it a factory SBR?
If not, it'd be silly to have someone else's name on your receiver.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 10:56:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't understand MOST of what you said.

OK, if it's a factory SBR, what's the procedure?

If it's in state what's the procedure?

If it's out of Texas what's the procedure?

And what does someone else's name on the receiver mean?
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 10:59:32 AM EDT
[#3]
You must fill out a Form 4 for transfer and do all the fingerprints etc and pay the $200 tax.  The persons name on the SBR is the "maker" not the owner.  I know this to be fact as I have previosly sold an SBR that I made with a Form 1 to another individual who wanted one already made and transferred it on a Form 4.  He was a class 1 FFL dealer and the approved Form 4 was mailed to me from NFA Branch and then I gave him the SBR and approved Form 4.  That was an In-State transfer.  You will need a receiving dealer for out of state and very likely will pay two $200 transfers.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 11:02:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Either way, you are going to do paperwork and pay at least $200.

If you make it yourself (by registering the lower receiver as an SBR), you fill out a Form 1.  There's a great tacked thread here on how to do a Form 1.

If you buy it from somebody else, you're going to do a Form 4 transfer.  If it's from another state, there will be two Form 4 transfers and a Form 3 transfer, for a total of $400 in taxes you'll pay.

There's really no good reason to buy one made by somebody else.  In addition to the $200 to transfer it from them, you're probably going to have another $200 built into the price of the gun that the guy had to pay when he Form 1'd it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 11:15:27 AM EDT
[#5]
If you want to buy one from a manufacturer, like a factory Colt 11.5" gun (I forget the model), go to a class 3 dealer and inquire.  I can recommend a few if you're near Austin.

If you want to DIY, go buy a stripped (or built) ar-15 lower and do a Form 1 for it.  Like I said above, there is a great tacked thread on how to fill out a Form 1 here.

The first step is to decide what it is you want to have.  If you need ideas, there's a tacked picture thread full of SBRs.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top