Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/31/2006 12:33:28 AM EDT
Hi all……        I’m a newbie with questions, so please forgive me.  I enjoyed shooting when I was in the military years ago, didn’t do any shooting once I got out and recently started going to the range with a friend where I was bitten by the shooting bug again.  So, I did the only reasonable thing I could – I went and bought a Glock 26 (I want to get a CCW eventually).  Went to the range a few more times and shot my friend’s AR, then I bought one for me.  Now I have my new toy and want to take good care of it.  With that in mind I guess I have two questions:

1. What do y’all think are the necessary spare parts to keep on hand?  What should I always have on hand just in case?

2. What should I have in my cleaning kit to keep my baby in perfect condition?  So for I bought an Otis deluxe kit for both the AR and the Glock, some Sharp Shoot Wipe-Out and some Boeshield T-9.

Thanks for any and all suggestions, I really appreciate it.  I’ve only been reading thru the forums here for a few days so I look forward to reading and learning more.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:35:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Tag
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:39:22 AM EDT
[#2]
As far as spare parts goes, I like the "parts kit, complete, FFL required" route myself.  You can always piece together 1 working rifle from several.

Keeping your baby in perfect condition?  

We shoot our weapons here man.  At the range, in the field.  They get tossed in the back of trucks, laid down on steel tables.

I guess you could not take it out of the box it comes in.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:19:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Welcome to the sickness!  It sounds like your on the right track as far cleaning supplies.  I'd reccomend a dental pick for those hard to reach places (use sparingly). Don't worry about replacement parts just yet. Unless you plan on using your firearms for serious duty, just replace what breaks.  I'm sure others will chime in here soon.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:22:18 AM EDT
[#4]
If you plan to shoot it a lot, an extractor with spring, extractor pivot pin, and some gas rings may be good.  What brand did you purchase?  Post pictures and make this thread worth something!
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:28:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Get a decent Lower Parts Kit, and i have a spare bolt and carrier.
Some extractor springs and bumpers.
Oh, and ammo, tons of ammo
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:35:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Buy extra mags.  You never know when you'll lose one.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:45:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I would have a bunch of high quality extra mags (CProducts)

Spare parts?  Ideally, you would want an entire spare rifle, but if money is tighter, than I would have a spare:
Bolt assembly (including extracter)
Bolt Carrier Group
Some extra firing pins
Replacement spring set
Lower Parts kit
Lower receiver.

Cleaning kits:  I use the Otis kit, but I also bought a rigid barrel rod to be able to knock loose stuck cartridges.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:16:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all of the advice, I really appreciate it.  Since it was requested, here are my babies.....

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p225/qbit_az/IMG_0062.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p225/qbit_az/IMG_00613.jpg

Oh, I forgot, it's a RRA.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:26:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Bolt,gas rings,extractor and ejector assemblies,carrier key,mag catch,bolt catch assemblies..although mine are 13 years old and still kicking changed gas rings last year the extractor 3 years ago to a baer chromed one,and the bolt last week after taking 22000 rounds over 13 years,hammer,trigger,disconector pins and springs,firing pin.I have chnaged barrels a few times but that was a want and not a need.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top