Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/29/2006 1:44:26 PM EDT
I thought of dipping my collapsible stock's "buttplate" in PlastiDip some time ago, and I finally got around to doing it today.

I put a real thin coating on just the checkered rear portion of my late style LMT stock, and it has really made it grip nicely to clothing.

Where the stock might have slid around a bit before, now it sits just where I want it to stay when I shoulder the carbine.

I would imagine that this would be a great mod for earlier style buttstocks that have less surface area on the stock and that can have a tendency to slide off of the shoulder.

I didn't include any pics because you can hardly tell that it has been dipped (I used black PlastiDip of course).

I'm sure that it will wear off in spots eventually, at which point I will just re-dip it.

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:49:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I didnt even know the stock "sliding off the shoulder" was a problem.

Personally I hate stocks that have a very "grippy" finish.  When shouldering the rifle they tend to not transition well and get hung up on my sleeve or shoulder.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:52:06 PM EDT
[#2]
cool idea!  
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:56:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Pics dammit, you should know this!

Plasti-dip is good stuff!

HS1
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:27:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I didnt even know the stock "sliding off the shoulder" was a problem.

Personally I hate stocks that have a very "grippy" finish.  When shouldering the rifle they tend to not transition well and get hung up on my sleeve or shoulder.

I see what you are saying about grippy stocks, but this one doesn't have that "adhesive" feel, but it does stay put without much effort.

Some will look at it as a solution to the problem that doesn't exist, but if you have a gen 3 stock and only 1" of it actually makes contact with your shoulder, the extra grip would provide a ever so slight advantage helping to keep the stock on the shoulder.

With the gen 4 stock folks may or may not have a problem with it sliding on the shoulder.  I would imagine that this could be helpful when wearing armor where the rather flat surface of the stock can be an awkward when mated to the harder, flatter surface of the vest.

Chances are this mod won't actually hurt anything, and it may be of help.

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:32:31 PM EDT
[#5]
"sticky" stocks help during mag changes with the rifle in the shoulder (as they should be done). I don't have anything on my M4gery yet, but the Hogue recoil pad on my Rem. 870 allows be to load shells with the shotgun at the ready.

If I add a CTR to my M4, I will definitly opt for the recoil pad. Not to soften recoil, but as mentioned, it helps when shooting with body armor and during reloads.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top