Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2006 8:20:46 PM EDT
Alright there are to many choices out there and i need some help. help me narow it down to half a dozen at least i am swamped, with all the choices. I don't want this to become a brand debate, or this is a better caliber..... just give me ya'lls opinions and let me know, i want em all!

needed Medium range precision rifle, more accurate than my m4, but still compact and easy to wield, in open as well as urban enviornments if need be, nice and handy!
I have decided that I will have this built to save a little here and there. not by me because i lack the knowledge but will have a very qualified person do it.
Must Haves
Flip up front and rear sights
full lenght upper rail on top
3" rail on the bottom to accomadate a bi-pod
collapsible buttstock to keep it compact
free floated handguards
heavy barrel with vortex flash suppressor
1/2 to 3/4 moa if possible
nice trigger

now for the questions
.308 or .223/5.56 which would be best for the application?
optics, which would ya'll go with? i am torn between the super sniper 10x42 or one of the acog's in 4x.
what trigger would ya'll go with?
good lowers for builds, and uppers?

and that is about it i reckon, any advice would be much appreciated. what would ya'll do if ya'll had these requirements to meet and say $1500 to put into it? thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 9:18:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I think what you describe sounds more like a Recce than an SPR.  Check out MSTN's Industry section to find out more about it...
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 9:44:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Alright there are to many choices out there and i need some help. help me narow it down to half a dozen at least i am swamped, with all the choices. I don't want this to become a brand debate, or this is a better caliber..... just give me ya'lls opinions and let me know, i want em all!

needed Medium range precision rifle, more accurate than my m4, but still compact and easy to wield, in open as well as urban enviornments if need be, nice and handy!
I have decided that I will have this built to save a little here and there. not by me because i lack the knowledge but will have a very qualified person do it.
Must Haves
Flip up front and rear sights
full lenght upper rail on top
3" rail on the bottom to accomadate a bi-pod
collapsible buttstock to keep it compact
free floated handguards
heavy barrel with vortex flash suppressor
1/2 to 3/4 moa if possible
nice trigger

now for the questions
.308 or .223/5.56 which would be best for the application?
optics, which would ya'll go with? i am torn between the super sniper 10x42 or one of the acog's in 4x.
what trigger would ya'll go with?
good lowers for builds, and uppers?

and that is about it i reckon, any advice would be much appreciated. what would ya'll do if ya'll had these requirements to meet and say $1500 to put into it? thanks in advance!

Looks like a Recon/Recce would be your better bet. If it's for a SHTF or EOTWAWKI, you would definitely want a Nato Caliber. If that doesn't matter, 6.8 might be your ticket.

Nathan
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 9:26:23 AM EDT
[#3]
sounds like your looking for a MK12 mod 0 specifically, I have one and love it. very nice piece. stout accurate, and just the right size to be handy too.

I also have several Super Snipers in 10x42 and find them to be great scopes, I have them on several guns and they take a horrendus beating and are very repeatable. I use mine for coyote hunting and bash it around in the hills and through the brush all the time, one has even survived a pickup rollover and retained zero.

talk to Wes at MSTN he can build you a very nice piece that is easily sub-MOA
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 3:34:53 PM EDT
[#4]

I also have several Super Snipers in 10x42 and find them to be great scopes, I have them on several guns and they take a horrendus beating and are very repeatable. I use mine for coyote hunting and bash it around in the hills and through the brush all the time, one has even survived a pickup rollover and retained zero.

yeah i have heard that from alot of people and, read many good things about them, over time, that and the price is waht drew me to them, i think they are a great deal for the money and would serve me well. thank you for your first hand experience.

question did, you get your mk12 mod 0 built by mstn? i have also heard a few good things about that company. thanks again!
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 8:06:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
question did, you get your mk12 mod 0 built by mstn? i have also heard a few good things about that company. thanks again!

yep, last year. he just finished a MK12 mod 1 for me this week. Wes is great to work with.

quick pic will get better one once the weather cooperates

Link Posted: 10/26/2006 2:55:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Check with John Goggels at Pennsylvania Defense Consultants.  http://www.padefense.com/  He dose a excellent job on SPR's.

Later, Mark
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 5:14:53 PM EDT
[#7]
thanks fpr the replies guys and thanks for the pics, those are some fine looking weapons!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top