Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/19/2006 6:04:23 PM EDT
Well guys as the heading says .. I'm just wondering what i will need? a new buffer tube ?? will i require any certain length? any opinions on the stocks out there? any help greatly appreciated i know its probably a dumb question to most ;)
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 6:28:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a CMT/Stag Arms carbine stock assembly (mil-spec tube + associated parts) and replace the stock with a Magpul CTR. You'll like it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 6:52:04 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Get a CMT/Stag Arms carbine stock assembly (mil-spec tube + associated parts) and replace the stock with a Magpul CTR. You'll like it.

Now that's some durn good advice right there = +1

Try the EE for a mil spec receiver extension.  Need a new buffer and spring and seriously consider the CTR.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 7:35:54 PM EDT
[#3]
What does the CTR do that makes it worth $100 with NO buffer or tube (almost twice what a complete M4 stock costs)?  Just wondering... never used one.  It just looks like an M4 stock with part of it relieved away and the locking lever relocated.

All you need is a flat blade screwdriver to get the old one off (maybe a wrench on the end of the tube of the old one if it is really tight or locktited on) and a CAR stock wrench to tighten up the nut on the new one.  That of course assumes you have the stock body, the receiver extension/buffer tube, the buffer, CAR-length spring, locking/castle nut, and locking plate that normally come with a complete collapsible stock.  All the parts are different, including the buffer and spring.  The carbine buffer and spring are shorter.

You can usually get complete M4 or old-school CAR stocks from the EE for about $50.  A CAR wrench will set you back about $5.

The M4-style stocks are usually 6-position stocks, and the tube is a little longer, so they extend out farther.  I like the old CAR style (4-position, 3-position, or 2-position, with more positions == better), though.  It just looks better to me, and I like the smaller footprint against my shoulder.  I'm a tall guy (6' 6") with long arms, and I have no problem using either one.  They are both long enough.
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 9:11:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What does the CTR do that makes it worth $100 with NO buffer or tube (almost twice what a complete M4 stock costs)?  Just wondering... never used one.  It just looks like an M4 stock with part of it relieved away and the locking lever relocated.

All you need is a flat blade screwdriver to get the old one off (maybe a wrench on the end of the tube of the old one if it is really tight or locktited on) and a CAR stock wrench to tighten up the nut on the new one.  That of course assumes you have the stock body, the receiver extension/buffer tube, the buffer, CAR-length spring, locking/castle nut, and locking plate that normally come with a complete collapsible stock.  All the parts are different, including the buffer and spring.  The carbine buffer and spring are shorter.

You can usually get complete M4 or old-school CAR stocks from the EE for about $50.  A CAR wrench will set you back about $5.

The M4-style stocks are usually 6-position stocks, and the tube is a little longer, so they extend out farther.  I like the old CAR style (4-position, 3-position, or 2-position, with more positions == better), though.  It just looks better to me, and I like the smaller footprint against my shoulder.  I'm a tall guy (6' 6") with long arms, and I have no problem using either one.  They are both long enough.

when you lock the CTR where you want it it will not rattle, which means it wont pluck by beard hairs...  Seriously though - I just like the solid lock up - it's basically like shooting a 6 position A2 stock.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 5:09:49 PM EDT
[#5]
The M4 or old-school CAR stocks are now obsolete because the CTR is so much better than they are (unless you want to do a retro-build). The stock area is larger and fits the shoulder better. The CTR has a much better cheekweld. The rubber buttpad is not as bulky & is integral when added to the base stock, compared to the add on's for the M4 & CAR stocks.

If you don't need a Vltor or others for storage purposes then the CTR is the only collapsible stock that's worth having on your AR.
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 5:13:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Clear a jam with a buttstroke once. You will know why the lower end collapsable stocks suck.
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 6:01:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Big plus 1 on the CTR. I have a black one and just ordered a FDG. That GOOD. Lock up great. Need a mill speck buffer tube castle nut and end plate. Plus a carbine lenth buffer spring and buffer. Also check out the Voltor and my persaonal Favorite (have 2) the LMT sopmod. Expensive but best cheak weld out there. But you can pic up a Good Mil speck buffer tube for $40 or so and a Colt M4 stock bodey type 1 retro or type 2 the newer type of $30-$40 or so. Depends on your budget. Personaly I would spend a little more and go with the CTR or any good Mil Speck. Type. You can get comercial types for less than $30 but are rattle traps.
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 8:21:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't forget to catch the rear takedown spring and detent when you remove the stock, and with buffer retainer and spring when you remove the extension.Gary
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 5:33:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the great info guys i went to the gun show in town today and picked up all the parts tube buffer plate ect now i just need to order up the ctr and it will be done ..
thanks again..
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 5:52:54 PM EDT
[#10]
When I replaced my A2 stock I put a G&G endplate that has a slingpoint attachment. Since your at it you should do the same.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top