Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2006 4:56:31 AM EDT
I want to do something to my rifle I just don't know what. I have had my rifle for 3 years, and I am just never happy with the setup. I have gone through red dots, iron sights, scopes, regular handguards, FF tubes, quad rails, fixed stocks, collapsable stocks, flip up rears sights, changed the grips, and I still don't have a configuration that I seriously love. I have enjoyed setups certain setups but not for a long period of time. I know people change their AR but I just can't figure out what I want, and I have a serious instant gratification problem.
I have seriously thought about a compact ACOG, or an EOtech.
I have always loved sharpshooter style platforms, and enjoyed target shooting. But don't have the money for the better platforms or a good place to shoot them.

I am now in the current process of making my rifle a 11.5" SBR.
I guess I just want something more unique

My current setup

any suggestions

Dmgangl
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 5:17:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 5:40:23 AM EDT
[#2]
have you taken one of the reputable carbine training course around the country?  it may help you make up your mind by seeing what works and what is just fluff in the way.
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 6:38:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Damn Quib,

You have got a great looking collection, but that K.I.S.S. carbine really stands out.

I really need to get one for myself.
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 7:30:13 AM EDT
[#4]
This is one of my favorite setups:

Have added the ARMS #40L backup sight since then also.  I can switch the vertical foregrip for a surefire light if needed, or go to the range as-is.  It is a personal decision, I like the 16" fluted HBAR and Phantom setup with the Eotech and #40L.  Pretty simple rig, IMO, is the best way to go.
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 8:01:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 8:06:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Try getting out more and finding some like minded shooters to go out and shoot with, Take a carbine class to find out exactly what you don't know. And please ditch the paracord wrap around your stock.. That is totally Gay...
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 5:08:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Try getting out more and finding some like minded shooters to go out and shoot with, Take a carbine class to find out exactly what you don't know. And please ditch the paracord wrap around your stock.. That is totally Gay...

The paracord is for comfort, I just find it uncomfortable to lean my face against a long black hard thing. In the near future I am going to get a CAA 6 pos. stock to start with, It seems like a solid stock for the money.

I have done many drills and practiced with my rifle alot. I know I like a SBR for manuverability, I like an optic for faster target aquisition, and a shorter stock position for the stance that I am comfortable in.

Im not saying I haven't had setups that work, I have. Just not something that I love.
One thing about my current setup is i want an optic. I really want a compact acog and want it on the carry handle cause I don't like to bend my neck down for the lower profile optics, but thats way down the road. And Im not sure if I should buy an eotech untill then cause I want to keep my carry handle.

I know it sounds like Im a complaining, but talking about it helps me figure out what I want and  don't have anybody to talk to about guns around here. And Im sure my girlfriend is tired of hearing me talk about it.

Dmgangl
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 5:22:11 PM EDT
[#8]
If you can, you should try out other people's AR's with EOTechs and Aimpoints on them and see which one you like.  Whichever you get, stick it on a LaRue mount.

As for the stock, if you're looking at the CAA stock, you may also want to look at the VLTOR.  I got mine as a lighter replacement for my M93.  When using my EOTech, I shoot with a 'Troy BUIS-up-nose' sort of cheekweld, rather than farther back, so I didn't expect the sloped side of the VLTOR to do anything for me.  Boy was I surprised when I put it on and shouldered it - it's great.  I think it's worth the money, especially if you can grab one on the EE.

Instant gratification can be very costly with the AR platform.  I've learned a hard lesson - think long and hard about what you want, and then try to make sure you get it the first time rather than settling for something else that happens to be "in stock" or "on sale" at the moment.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top