Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/25/2006 8:54:19 AM EDT
I apologize in advance for the noob question, but:

Can I swap upper receviers (from A2 to A3) from the original one in a .222rem COLT ar15a2?

From what I know the 222 has different dimension from the 223, but I guess that the external dimension of the barrel extension would be the same.

Thanks in advance for info.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 9:06:33 AM EDT
[#1]
It will be ok to swap uppers, but each upper should have it's own bolt.  The bolt lugs and barrel extension lugs "wear" into each other.  Using the same bolt with two different barrel extensions will increase wear and could possibly shorten the bolt's lifespan considerably.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 9:06:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I maybe wrong, but if you have a colt in 222 you might have some collector issues there. you may want to check into its value before you take it a part and end up with a parts gun.

sell the 222 and buy a 223 with a flat top and some ammo.

Link Posted: 8/25/2006 10:13:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Can he own a .223 upper in Italy?  I know some countrys don't allow civilians to own military cal firearms.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 10:14:21 AM EDT
[#4]
He probably most definitely has a collectible Colt.  The 222's were mainly export and rare at that; he is in Italy.  It may not be legal to have 223 in Italy???  Some countries do not permit military calibers.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 11:11:15 AM EDT
[#5]
As a matter of facts I'm selling an upper receiver A3 to a guy that has a .222 colt AR15A2 with 20inches barrel and A2 FH; the guy shoot the rifle in competition but wants to mount an optic on flattop, so I'm selling him my upper receiver.

Back in the 80s and early 90s in Italy was forbidden to have a 223 military-looking rifle, now it's possible, but with some limitation (limited cap-mags).

Thanks for replies!

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top