Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2006 8:13:09 AM EDT
For a laser or something, or is it for a front iron sight in place of having a scope?

Link Posted: 8/25/2006 8:15:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 8:21:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Front sight post
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 8:23:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 8:27:45 AM EDT
[#4]
so basically with the scope on there, it has no usefulness?
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 8:38:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 8:42:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

For a varmint rifle that's used only to hunt varmints, probably not.

Consider this scenario however:  You go to the range with your varmint, and you have scope issues of some kind; something that can't be corrected at the range.  Well, with irons, you could at least keep shooting for a while.  Without irons (and without other rifles) you pack it up for the day.

Now Stickman on the other hand, his rifles are for hunting 2-legged varmints, so if his optic goes down while "in use", having irons as back up may make the ultimate difference in whether or not he goes home or not.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 8:50:33 AM EDT
[#7]
well i dont see a way to add a rear site...at least not the way it's configured now.  without trying to be 'tactikool', what about a laser that mounts snug against the rail to not interfere with scope picture?
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 10:17:34 AM EDT
[#8]
well, laser?!?!

i'd think it would be the perfect item for this otherwise heavy and hard to wield, high power scoped rifle...
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 10:20:40 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

fyi... i'd start learning to shoot without your scope. ie: with iron sights.

and i gotta rant.... why would you buy an ar and not know something as simple as that?
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 11:11:13 AM EDT
[#10]
As simple as what?  I knew it could be used for a front sight (read first post) but I was wondering if it's useful for anything else, since the way it's set up right now AND WILL STAY SET UP, using iron sights is not an option.

I'll bust out one of my other rifles if I want/need to use irons.  This is just my target shooting gun.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 11:13:32 AM EDT
[#11]
You aren't normally going to use iron sights on a varmint rifle, so the rail on the gas block is essentially decoration on a varmint rifle.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 11:33:26 AM EDT
[#12]
I totally fail to understand the desire for most of the folks here to have duplicate sighting systems. My guess is that most are just looking for some *bling* on their tool.

I can hear the train a comin' - folks yelling and screaming about how they may need additional optics in the field if their primary ones fail. OK...how many of you have had optics fail? Be honest now...

How may of us have had other key components fail? Like a bolt or something important like that. So you carry a spare bolt in addition to your extra pair of optics?

My fathers O3A4 never had iron sights - just a primitive scope.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 11:42:18 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I totally fail to understand the desire for most of the folks here to have duplicate sighting systems. My guess is that most are just looking for some *bling* on their tool.

I can hear the train a comin' - folks yelling and screaming about how they may need additional optics in the field if their primary ones fail. OK...how many of you have had optics fail? Be honest now...

I was in a class back in June.  We were shooting low-light drills at 5am.  I had my Eotech adjusted for this lighting condition.  We took a quick break as the sun started coming up.  When we got back to the line, I forgot to adjust my Eotech up a few settings for this new lighting condition.  When the next drill started, I dropped from the ready position down to the prone, and readied my rifle to fire.  It was at that moment I realized I couldn't see my red dot.  This isn't a failure of the optic, but I found myself without the aid of my red dot.  No worries- I simply took up proper cheek weld and shot the course through my irons.  This was faster than reaching up and clicking the Eotech up a few settings, and since our course was timed, I didn't have the time.  I made time and score on that drill, BECAUSE I have iron sights co-witnessed.

How may of us have had other key components fail? Like a bolt or something important like that. So you carry a spare bolt in addition to your extra pair of optics?

Yes, I do in fact carry a spare bolt with me.  It is in my rifle case of my Patrol Rifle.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 12:13:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I carry a spare bolt in addition to extra sights.

I have had both fail.  Those of us that use our rifles hard have that happen sometimes.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 12:14:53 PM EDT
[#15]
OK, enough 1 optic vs 2 optic debate.  Is there anything else USEFUL that could/would/should go on there with my scope installed (me thinks no?)
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 12:29:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 12:58:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
OK, enough 1 optic vs 2 optic debate.  Is there anything else USEFUL that could/would/should go on there with my scope installed (me thinks no?)

The railed section gives more surface area for better cooling...
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 1:15:36 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
OK...how many of you have had optics fail? Be honest now...
I have had the operator (me) fail to replace the batteries before a class and had to use the irons until a break when I could swap the battery.  I have had the operator (me again) fail to turn on the optic during a match so I used the irons on teh first set of targets then turned on the dot sight while moving to the next barricade.  

So while I have never had the optic itself fail, I've had two occasions when I failed and had to use the irons that you are ignorant enough to call 'bling'.

I have never had a problem like that, but I have seen peopel next to me in a class or at a match have failures involving bolts, bolt cam pins, bolt carrier keys, hammer/trigger components and even a charging handle one time.  

Well bully for him.  Why don't you bring it to the Bushmaster Operators course at Blackwater this October and we'll see what your opinions are like after 5 days and 3k+ rounds through the barrel.  We can even carpool so you won't have to worry about gas money.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 1:23:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 5:11:32 PM EDT
[#20]
K, Hmm.  If you just do varmint shooting, I can see why you would not want backups as they eat up extra money that could arguably be spent elsewhere.  Then again, as everybody is telling you, you might not mind the redundancy sometime, somewhere in the future.  There's a whole thread about BUIS on this website, so I won't go into what is best yadda yadda.  I think a laser might interfere with your scope up there, not too sure.  Otherwise, it is just a pretty Mil-Std-1913 profiled gas block, nothing more nothing less.  BUIS's seem like a good idea to me though.

Questions, let me know.
--Boomer
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top