Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/23/2006 4:38:37 PM EDT
how many rounds is a barrel good for?  I know a guy who want's to sell me a Bushmaster AR upper for $300.  He says he thinks he's shot 1500 rounds through it.  I thought that sounded pretty worn out.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 4:40:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Rock River with over 4,000 through it and still running strong.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 4:45:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Worn out??  It is just barely broken in.  

Just inspect the bolt and bolt carrier parts, look through the barrel, check the gas key/gas tube fit for interference (by sliding the carrier into the upper without the bolt, should do without binding), key tightness, etc.  Should be good to go if it is what he says.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 4:48:29 PM EDT
[#3]
If it's been well maintained, 1500 shouldn't be a problem at all, especially on a chrome-lined barrel.  I would get the headspace checked to your bolt, otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.  I believe I read once that the chrome-lined barrels are supposed to last around 15,000 rounds, but again, it depends on how well it's been taken care of.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:10:08 PM EDT
[#4]
It all depends on what your standard of expected accuracy is.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:15:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:16:29 PM EDT
[#6]
1500 rounds through a properly maintained AR is nothing.  This is not a "tolerances so close it's barely supposed to work" rifle.  It's a military-intended workhorse, and it WILL function well even after being overworked and abused (sort of like GIs).  But after several thousand rounds, an unlined barrel may start to show slight variations in point of impact, especially after a lot of hot rounds.  A chrome lined bore should stand up to a lot more use before you see any loss of accuracy.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top