Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2006 7:53:04 AM EDT
Is there a difference in accuracy in the dissipator rifles with 16" barrels versus the 20" length rifles?

Does the 4" make a difference on paper?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 9:37:03 AM EDT
[#1]
at longer ranges the greater velocity of the 20" will drop/drift less.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 10:36:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I love the dissipator but at longer ranges the 20" rules the roost. But for that I have a 20" Armalite AR-10T
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 10:43:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks

Link Posted: 8/23/2006 10:57:15 AM EDT
[#4]
If you mean Bushmaster (real) Dissipators, they are just a carbine barrel with full-radius (rifle) sights:

You get the same performance as with a carbine.

If you mean the DPMS-style 16" rifle-gas barrel, I have no idea, and I defer to the posts above - more distance = more drop form lower muzzle velocity.

No one has a real pic of the DPMS barrel with no handguards online that I can find.  It has rifle gas system on a 16" barrel, and they open the gas port up more for reliable cycling with less barrel past the FSB.  Here's the barrel I mean (at Del-ton):
www.del-ton.com/detail.aspx?ID=42
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 11:01:28 AM EDT
[#5]
This has probably been asked a bazillion times, but what the heck:

Why doesn't the Dissapator just use the rifle-length gas system? Would the gas port have to be enlarged or somesuch?

ETA: OK, I see in engineer2001's link that DPMS makes what I was talking about; Is there a technical reason Bushmaster doesn't do the same?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top