Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2006 7:27:58 AM EDT

I just picked up a new CAR stock and buffer tube from RRA.

The inside of the buffer tube is pretty rough.  It apears to be machine marks, groves, and ridges threw the inside of the tube.

The spring and plunger seem to seem to work without getting hung up. So I was wondering,
Is this normal?  

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:53:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 8:13:51 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The fit between the buffer spring and buffer is a pretty loose fit. I don’t think you’ll experience any binding....

Yes, you are probably right.
I have been trying to get the buffer to hang up on one of the ridges, but I can't.

So I won't worry about it, unless I start experiencing problems at the range.

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 8:47:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 2:23:38 PM EDT
[#4]
The tube should be smooth inside. I have bought a few that had rough ones inside but they were always on cheap stocks I bought.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 3:36:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Although it will work fine because the buffer faces are chamfered slightly, you might try sending back for another if it really bothers you.  The two RRA collapsible stocks I have are not very rough at all inside.  Granted, this may be in the eye of the beholder (you're not expecting a 16 RMS finish, correct???).
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 4:31:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Although it will work fine because the buffer faces are chamfered slightly, you might try sending back for another if it really bothers you.  The two RRA collapsible stocks I have are not very rough at all inside.  Granted, this may be in the eye of the beholder (you're not expecting a 16 RMS finish, correct???).

Its pretty rough.  It looks like the inside of a threaded bolt.  Well thats a bit of an exageration.  But the ridges are high enough that it looks like you can get the buffer to hang up on some of them.  But like you said, sence the buffer face is chamfered it does not hang up.  

I think I might put a little emery paper to it.

Or I will just egnore it and after a 1000 rounds or so, I bet it will be a lot smoother.

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 4:38:07 PM EDT
[#7]
It'll work, and the cool part is, it gets smoother the more you shoot it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 4:39:03 PM EDT
[#8]
It is unusual for it to be that rough, it probably will not wear in that much.  If it was that rough, even though I'm sure it will still work, I would probably send back to RRA for an exchange.  Sounds like they were waiting a little long to replace the tooling, like with the barrel on my Kel-Tec P-3AT .

I got a new buffer from bushmaster once and the edges were already chewed up on it noticeably.  Although it worked, it bothered me that it was that way and I had paid for new, so they sent me another one.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top