Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2006 8:24:26 PM EDT
I was reading Duncan Longs book today on the AR. He has a break in procedure in which you:

Fire-Clean the barrel
Fire-Clean the barrel
for 11 total shots.

Then, you fire 3 shot groups and clean the barrel for a total of 20 rds. (I know, groups of three do not add up to 20) and then you fire a group of 50 cleaning the barrel every ten rounds or something like that.

Does this sound right? I did a site search but did not find any information on breaking in AR's.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 8:30:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like the ol M-14 break-in.  I havent seen anything documented on it, but dont listen to me, Im a Noob still....
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 8:33:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds about right.
this is how i was told

1st fire 10 rounds cleaning the bbl after each shot. then clean after every 10 up to 100 total rounds. but what you said works fine too... though i never did this my self....i just blasted away
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 8:38:33 PM EDT
[#3]
For a chrome lined barrel, you fire 100 rounds and then clean. The chrome lining should look nice and polished.

Nathan
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 8:42:13 PM EDT
[#4]
some say break in is important.

Others say it's hogwash.

Personally, I'm one that beleives every round fired brings the barrel closer to the end of it's service. Shoot the darn thing. When you're done, clean it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 8:44:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Barrels don't need to be broken in.  That's a myth.  www.snipercountry.com/Articles/Barrel_BreakIn.asp

If you had some kind of super-duper (Kreiger stainless or something ) barrel, you couldn't hurt anything trying it, so long as you clean carefully and don't damage the barrel, but I'd just fire the thing then clean it when it got really dirty.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 8:45:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Chrome Lined barrels:  I shoot 200 rds or so and clean it.  Then clean whenever you'd typically clean YOUR rifle.

Stainless Barrels:  Not even going down that discussion path here.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 8:54:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I think the idea of breaking in a barrel is silly superstition and I refuse to do it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 9:08:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Insert mag, fire till empty, repeat until it glows....Light a smoke on the barrel...now it is broken in.

Someone around here mentioned doing a rain dance around the gun while waving eagle feathers over the barrel, and something about sacrificing a chicken, that might do the trick as well.

After building my AR there was so much tweaking and function testing I had to do to get things running right that there was no way I could have possibly worried about working the barrel over with some sort of voodoo process.  I made sure the bore was clean before I fired it and that is all.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 9:24:28 PM EDT
[#9]
For chrome lined barrels, Bushmaster recommends that you don't clean it for the first few hundred rounds. They say that it prolongs the time required for the barrel to be burnished by the projectiles...
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 9:29:00 PM EDT
[#10]
height=8
Quoted:
I think the idea of breaking in a barrel is silly superstition and I refuse to do it.

Barrel breakin is critical to target shooters.  All top target shooters breakin barrels. Yes, it can help "smooth" a barrel at an almost microscopic level but this happens naturally over time away.  The big main benefit to proper barrel breakin is to help "ring" a memory/reference point into the barrel like tuning a guitar but its a permanent "tuning".  If slow careful single shots are fired once every five minutes with cleaning between each shot and NO heat is allow to buildup in the barrel for its first 20-to-50 shots then this can GREATLY reduce "vertical stringing" when you do want to shoot faster and the barrel gets hot.  This will last throughout the life of the barrel.  The longest heaviest bullets you can find with copper jackets should be used for the breakin.  If you don't care about target shooting or how your gun groups on paper then don't waste your time with a breakin.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 9:36:19 PM EDT
[#11]
And you need to get naked while doing it too.  Single shot, clean, take off another piece of clothing... repeat.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 9:38:20 PM EDT
[#12]
If you shoot rocks, milk jugs, steel and such, just shoot it and clean later.

No worries.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 9:59:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Place 3 jujubees and a dead frog in the buttstock compartment. Then pour a bottle of rum down the barrel.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 10:26:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Sounds about right.
this is how i was told

1st fire 10 rounds cleaning the bbl after each shot. then clean after every 10 up to 100 total rounds. but what you said works fine too... though i never did this my self....i just blasted away

Pretty much what i did too. Accuracy never suffered as a result.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 10:28:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Break in? With an AR? Tie it on a rope to the back of your pickup or jeep and go offroading. clean and lube as necessary.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 10:34:23 PM EDT
[#16]
On my Bushmaster A2 I sprayed some CLP into the action and fired 5000 rounds, then cleaned. There was intermittent additions of CLP throughout the rounds/months, but no cleaning of any kind. The rifle has been cleaned and now lives a pretty pampered life. Odd, it is one of the more accurate rifles I have.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 10:36:37 PM EDT
[#17]
You wont do anything with a chrome lined barrel by cleanig it every round.

Clean.
Fire 200 rounds.
Clean.

Break in complete.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 12:04:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 1:38:32 AM EDT
[#19]
height=8
Quoted:
Barrels don't need to be broken in.  That's a myth.  www.snipercountry.com/Articles/Barrel_BreakIn.asp

If you had some kind of super-duper (Kreiger stainless or something ) barrel, you couldn't hurt anything trying it, so long as you clean carefully and don't damage the barrel, but I'd just fire the thing then clean it when it got really dirty.

wow shit
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:12:58 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Barrel breakin is critical to target shooters.  All top target shooters breakin barrels. Yes, it can help "smooth" a barrel at an almost microscopic level but this happens naturally over time away.  The big main benefit to proper barrel breakin is to help "ring" a memory/reference point into the barrel like tuning a guitar but its a permanent "tuning".  If slow careful single shots are fired once every five minutes with cleaning between each shot and NO heat is allow to buildup in the barrel for its first 20-to-50 shots then this can GREATLY reduce "vertical stringing" when you do want to shoot faster and the barrel gets hot.  This will last throughout the life of the barrel.  The longest heaviest bullets you can find with copper jackets should be used for the breakin.  If you don't care about target shooting or how your gun groups on paper then don't waste your time with a breakin.

Have you read Gale McMillan's article on break-in?

eta - Benchrest shooters are notorious for being superstitious so I'm sure the idea of break-in fits right in with their mentality. Doesn't mean it matters.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top