Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/14/2006 6:53:35 PM EDT
I am in the market for an AR.  I am wanting a 20" Heavy Barrel.

DPMS has decent prices, however i do not want to lose quality.
anyone have input
Link Posted: 8/14/2006 7:34:42 PM EDT
[#1]
You get what you pay for. DPMS has low prices becouse a lot of there stuff is not Mil speck. I would ask First what is the rifle to be used for? SHTF situations or just plinking? What type of rifle do you want? You might be better buying off EE you can get some nice Bushmaster or RRA Upper and parts (still not mil speck) but a lot better than DPMS. But a lot of people have there stuff,also Mod1 etc. If its going to be used seriously I would spend a little more. If just a toy They are ok. But get a crome lined barrel eather way.
Link Posted: 8/14/2006 8:14:53 PM EDT
[#2]
DPMS IS GOOD COMPANY ..IN  FACT IF U LOOK IT UP PANTHER ARMS WAS IN THE TOP 3 IN AR'S.. AND ABOUT MIL SPEC.. I DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT PERSON WAS TALKING ABOUT......MY LOWER RECEIVER IS MIL SPEC IN FACT BUILT OF FORGED 7075-T6 AIRCRAFT ALUMINUM ALLOY .. REASON I KNOW I PUT BUSTMASTER UPPER RECEIVER 22L. CONVERISON KIT ON MY LOWER DPMS RECEIVER, BUSTMASTER ONLY FITS ON MIL SPEC LOWER RECEIVER.  AND THE BARRELS ARE MADE TO SHOOT .223 AND 5.56X45  JUST LIKE THE BIG DOG'S.. BUSHMASTER AND COLT STICK IN HEADS BEACAUSE THE SIMPLY BE AROUND... FOR THE QUALITY IT'S GREAT PRICE... HOPE THE HELP ................HAPPY SHOOTING......
Link Posted: 8/14/2006 8:47:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I own several DPMS factory built rifles and they are as good as anyone else's factory built rifle. Some members dislike them, and some love them...you will find that dicotomy with nearly every manufacture out there. Some guy will say brand A is the best, and some guy will come along and tell you why brand A sucks and why you should buy brand C. I own multiple DPMS factory built rifles and they are some of the nicest/best performing AR's I own. So far I have had excellent luck with DPMS and have yet to have a problem with one of thier rifles. I cannot say the same about Colt, Bushmaster or Armalite, as I have had a bad rifle from all of the above manufactures. Everyone has a bad day, but I have had the best luck with DPMS and thier C.S. has proven to be excellent it my experience.People get way to hung up on roll marks, which is a shame, as there really isn't a huge variance between manufactures. If you you buy a DPMS, Colt, LMT, CMMG, Armalite, Sabre or Bushmaster, you are bound to get a good rifle. The differences between the above manufactures varies from slight to negligible. A factory built DPMS AR is an excellent and reliable weapon for a fair price.
Link Posted: 8/14/2006 9:07:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Go with DPMS, you will not be dissapointed at all.
Link Posted: 8/14/2006 9:29:35 PM EDT
[#5]
+1 for DPMS
Link Posted: 8/14/2006 11:00:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Their .308's are the shizznit!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 12:01:04 AM EDT
[#7]
As already mentioned, you get what you pay for.

It has been my experience that DPMS is absolute junk. I wouldn’t buy one for myself with your money.

I imagine if you do a quick search you’ll find similar threads with similar posts. There are many folks with them that have had good experiences, and also many folks who have had terrible experiences with them.

My experiences with their rifles/products has been the worst of any firearms experience I have had.

I do not have anything made by DPMS at this point in time and never will again.

I do have rifles made by Colt, Bushmaster and LMT, they have all been great.

AnaConda, sounds like you speak from vast experience.
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 12:47:57 AM EDT
[#8]
DPMS seems to be making better stuff these days. I wouldn't hesistate to buy another LPK from them. I don't care for their barrels or their BCG's, but I'd say that most of their stuff is top notch!
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 2:58:45 AM EDT
[#9]
archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=243136

Originally Posted By dennysguns
These barrels were tested to destruction. I contacted the testing company directly and found the original intel on the actual test procedure was in error.Actually it was not the barrels that were being tested. The barrels were part a test of another component but the barrel destruction as a side effect.

There are a lot of threads here on barrels, barrel life, how tough are barrels etc etc etc. So I thought you guys might find this interesting.

Their test procedure was pretty simple. The uppers were mounted on M16 rifles and simply shot on full auto for 200 rounds. The upper was then put in a rack and allowed to cool enough that a bore snake could be run up it and then the firing commenced again. The barrels were not completely cooled, but enough they could be swabbed out. Failures were due to excessive heat.

Sorry for the initial confusion on the exact test procedure.

On average the barrels gave up the ghost between 18,000 and 21,000 rounds of full auto fire.

In cases were the barrel did not let go the barrel was totally roached with no throat for 2-4 inches and rifling missing in other parts of the bore.

How long will your barrel last with normal shooting and cleaning?

This should set some minds at ease.

These are not COLT barrels. The barrels are DPMS 1:9 4140 steel. I would say DPMS makes a damn good barrel!

What am I trying to prove? Really nothing just FYI and adding some real world info.

I have a DPMS, RRA, and Bushmaster barreled upper of different configurations.  All shoot well and I haven't had any problems with any of them.  The DPMS is on my beater rifle and sees the most use.  Get what you need if it works for you, don't worry about what people post on the internet.
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 3:06:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I've got one  My opinion of them is that they are as good as any AR you could build from a kit ( DelTon or M1S / M&A )
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 8:43:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Buy mill speck I mean that they are Chrome lined barrels that are M/P tested as are the Bolts. The Buffer tube is the correct size. Etc. I can for the most part put uppers and lowers from any manufacturer together. And they will work. But The question is for how long.  Most Co. That produce Mil speck Colt, LMT, etc. Also use Mil std. Q/C for testing there products. Thats were the extra money is going. Not just into the logo
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 9:12:03 PM EDT
[#12]
My 2 cents, I had a colt match target HBAR flattop that with a mark 4 would not hold 1.5MOA at 100 with fgmm or tailored handloads.  Traded the upper off and got a 20" dpms bull barrel on a hirider upper and it proceded to shot .3-.4" ave with 4 different handloads I was feeding it.  Hell it shot 10 rds of ss109 into 5/8" group once.  Just got done dealing for a 308 DPMS, why because they are the most accurate 308 AR platform, with the exception of sr25, way too much money for this working man.  I do have a bushy M4 that has logged who knows how many rds and it still does good, in fact it would outshoot the colt hbar.  Thats bad when a 16" pencil smokes a colt hbar.  I also had a bad bushy that went back to the dealer because of numerous FTF and FTE.  There is nothing wrong with a DPMS, it is one of the best deals going in 308.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 10:25:21 PM EDT
[#13]
DPMS are good for the money.  Their LPK's have been having excessively large roll pins.  If you want a true mil-spec rifle or carbine you need to buy a Colt upper and put it on a different lower, steal an FN from the USMC or the FNUSA plant (not advocating theft of one) or buy a BCM by Bravo Company.  There are rifles and carbines as good or better than mil-spec.  Determine what the purpose of the gun will be, how much you can spend and then ask for reccomendations.  I had a DPMS built carbine that lived up to a ton of abuse by me.  DPMS also has a practice of hiring veterans as well.  If a DPMS is what you want and have the money for, buy it.  Not everyone has the money to buy an LMT upper with a Noveske barrel with a can and a custom Tom Sawyer lower with a Norrel's tan coating that belongs in a Stickman pic.  [/rant]  As I said before buy what you can and the DPMS will most likely out last you...

TS
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 10:56:17 PM EDT
[#14]
My DPMS out shot all my other(and friends)AR's and never had a funtion problemLow pro classic 16 in. bull and it was a cast receiver.

They heve a quality product and i'll buy another one anyday.

Link Posted: 8/16/2006 7:15:10 AM EDT
[#15]
I love my DPMS lowers and my DPMS 20" upper.  They have never given any problems.  I have only shot them for a few hundred rounds each (I'm a hobbyist, not a LEO/soldier).

Unless you have a Colt/FN M16 or M4, your rifle is NOT going to be "mil speck" anyway, despite what the previous poster insisted (twice in the same thread, I might add).  All of my DPMS parts are well within the specs, but you won't have a milspec rifle/carbine unless it's got the whole deal:

www.armalite.com/library/techNotes/tnote01.htm

DPMS is great.  They're just not a supplier of complete military M16A2s, therefore, theirs are not "mil spec" rifles.
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 8:57:48 AM EDT
[#16]
We have worked on many DPMS AR's(gunsmithing,coatings/refinishing) and I have owned and own several. I have never had any problems what so ever with their products.

Some of the most accurate AR-15 we have built or tested for our customers were from DPMS or were built from Model 1 Sales or M&A kits. Of the few AR-15's we ever had major problems with were Colts & Bushmasters.

Many of our customers shot over 10,000 rounds a year or more and from what I have seen DPMS holds up just fine. In 2006 almost any AR-15 made by the major players will be of good quality and should have no serious problems.

I like all Ar's but after much testing I feel that DPMS build's some great AR-15's and about the best AR-10 on the market today for the money. Just my 2 cents

Link Posted: 8/16/2006 9:26:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 11:32:28 AM EDT
[#18]
You should read the test requirements that the DEA required of their ARs before going with Rock River. I've got a Colt, Bushmaster, Armalite and A rock River and have been happy with all but a small problem with the Bushy that required a trip to the local gunsmith
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 11:39:57 AM EDT
[#19]
They make airsoft guns also.
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 12:04:28 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
They make airsoft guns also.

They licensed their name.  They don't make any airsoft guns.
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 12:10:17 PM EDT
[#21]
5 rifles either factory built or from their parts,
No problems whatsoever
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 1:12:58 PM EDT
[#22]
DPMS is just as good as any of the other's out there. I have never had a problem with mine and neither has anybody else I know that has one. I had a professional gunsmith, friend of mine, tell me to go with DPMS over other brands and I know he would never steer me in the wrong direction. Get one, you won't be sorry!!!
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 1:32:30 PM EDT
[#23]
2 DPMS builds with various other parts. DPMS Upper and Lower.  Good stuff....
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 1:36:39 PM EDT
[#24]
ive had my dpms for 6 years! i love the thing. only problem i had was the firing pin retaining pin broke but thats from usual wear and tear. get one you wont be upset.
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 2:54:36 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Go with DPMS, you will not be dissapointed at all.

+1 have several, no problems.
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 3:09:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Another vote for DPMS!!

Have several and am very happy with the quality!!

Personally...., I love the fact that some of their stuff is less expensive than the competators..., that just means more money for ammo!!

DPMS ROCKS!!
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 3:52:03 PM EDT
[#27]
I have put about 1000 rounds through mine with no malfunctions at all (I never got that kind of reliability of any service M-16 I ever shot).

I also get 1.0 to 0.75 MOA accuracy with BH ammo's 55 grain FMJ's, and have shot 5 shot groups in the 0.4 MOA range with handloads.

The barrel is also very stable with 50 rounds fired more or less rapid fire while still retaining accuracy in the 1.0 to 1.25 MOA range and no change in point of impact shooting off a Harris bipod.

It's now my preferred prairie dog killing machine.  

Quality wise I found no faults with it other than the trigger (but I am very picky whenit comes to triggers).  The upper and lowers fit very well, but again I am very picky and I added a rear pin from J&P to remove all movement between uppers and lowers (which will reduce lateral stringing on an accuracte AR.)  
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 6:33:51 PM EDT
[#28]
DPMS are pretty good rifles for the money. I picked up one for $650 NIB at a local show and have been pretty impressed with it so far. I mean it's a basic M4gery with the Glacier guards and A2 upper and I have put 500+ through it with no real problems. It has a forged lower and upper. I am going to switch the handguards with a YHM 2piece quad rail I have and probably throw some Krylon on it. I have Bushmaster that I am building and this is my beater for now.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 10:41:25 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a couple of DPMS', both have the 5.56 chromelined chamber and I have yet to have a single problem with them
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 10:12:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Hey Forest dont belive everything you read on Federal and Police agencies choosing a specific weapon becasue it is the best.  These companys will do whatever it takes to get a agency to buy there weapons and for these agencies it comes down to the less money they can pay.  I own a Colt Sporter Light weight and the M4 style DPMS.  The DPMS is a great rifle that I will be using on duty and is one of the many mentioned weapons allowed to carry.  One thing people forget is ammunition is a big part on performance of a weapon.  If you use ammo that is from a place you cant find on a map then why would you trust it in your weapon.  

A bud of mine is a Colt armory and he turned me on to the DPMS.  I wanted another Colt at first but after reviewing the specs and performance on DPMS, I was sold and dont regret it.  I made sure of a chromed lined barrel, Nato chambered, mil spec and so on before I purchased it.  Oh by the way for the friend price of $700.  that is what I paid to My bud.  If your need weapon stuff check out www.dynamicarmament.com
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 11:59:06 PM EDT
[#31]
I used to joke that i wouldnt trust anything that had PMS in it, but DPMS is a pretty good AR manufacturer. Go with it, you wont be disappointed.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 8:58:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 8:44:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Ok I will take a look but I also saw an article about the DPMS.  Gunsite tested it and gave it a thumbs up.  I will be taking another class with Giles Stock in September and will be using the DPMS.  I will let you know if I have any problems and I know Giles will make fun of me because he is Sold on Colt.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top