Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/19/2006 5:07:25 AM EDT
I am wanting to buy a new AR and I was looking at getting a colt M4 A3  but the prices seem to be up a bit .  What is better about LEM models that makes them more expensive.  I thought the wholesale on a plain colt m4 was about 1000-1100 but on Gunbroker and Gunsamerica I cannot find any deals even close to this as they are about 1500.  I would appreciate your input on this.  The main thing that I have to have is the barrel has to be threaded under the flashhider.  I was also thinking if they are that price that I can build one for about 1100 (400 lower, 700 upper) but I would rather just by a whole one.  I was also looking at the bushmaster m4 type but I would rather have a colt if possible. Can someone please tell me also if there are some colt uppers with flashhiders that are 16 inches and are not removeable.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 5:25:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Get the latest issue of The Shotgun News. There is a good article on the Colt 6920.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 7:20:41 AM EDT
[#2]
ok I will do that but will that answer the question about the price?
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 8:19:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Do a search on "6920" in AR forums.

There are a couple of threads that explain why 6920's are in short supply and are bringing more money right now.

I have 2 Colts, but IMHO the best buy going right now is a Stag. Get a Stag 2H upper and a Stag lower from the EE, snap them together, and you will have a great rifle for just over $700.00. This leaves you with enough money for a basic optic w/ mount, flashlight w/mount and some practice ammo all for less than the current price of a 6920 ($1400 or so).

Where in GA?
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 8:20:12 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
ok I will do that but will that answer the question about the price?

87 dollars!
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 8:33:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Get the latest issue of The Shotgun News. There is a good article on the Colt 6920.

+1
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 8:34:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Hate to be the one to do this, but have you looked at other options? There are several other companies that make a product equal in quailty to Colt, and they sell it for less. Bushmaster, Rock River Arms, Armalite, and CMMG all make excellent rifles.

What is the main reason you want a Colt? People who are new to the AR world (not sure if you are or not) often want a Colt because it is the name they've heard before; they assume Colt is the best because they hear them talked about. I started researching ARs about a year ago, and originally the only rifle I would consider was a Colt. As time went on I found lots of reasons to look at other companies, and even some reasons to stay away from Colts. Rock River Arms and CMMG have ended up being the guys I turn to for just about everything, not Colt.

Colt makes a great product, don't get me wrong; a rifle from them will work very well. But if you want a reliable, quality weapon, there are other people who can help you with that. You just won't get to have a cute little pony on your reciever
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 8:43:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I thought about starting a new thtead, but since this one is right on the same topic I'll just post my questions here...

I'm also a first time buyer and wanted some advice/opinions on the following...

1) Bushmaster Superlight w/ 6 pos telestock

2) RRA Entry Tactical

3) Colt 6920

The Bush obviously the cheapest, is the quality of the RRA, and the Colt particularly, worth the extra cost?

I've been leaning towards the Entry Tac quite a bit, because I've heard nothing but positives about RRAs products, and they're reasonably priced.

I would pay the extra for the 6920 if I felt it was going to be worth it for my use.

Essentially the only thing I will be using the rifle for will be recreation and (possibly but less likely) small game hunting. I doubt I'll be pushing a huge number of rounds through it over its lifetime, but it won't be gathering dust by any means.

Any 1st hand suggestions?
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 9:09:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I thought about starting a new thtead, but since this one is right on the same topic I'll just post my questions here...

I'm also a first time buyer and wanted some advice/opinions on the following...

1) Bushmaster Superlight w/ 6 pos telestock

2) RRA Entry Tactical

3) Colt 6920

The Bush obviously the cheapest, is the quality of the RRA, and the Colt particularly, worth the extra cost?

I've been leaning towards the Entry Tac quite a bit, because I've heard nothing but positives about RRAs products, and they're reasonably priced.

I would pay the extra for the 6920 if I felt it was going to be worth it for my use.

Essentially the only thing I will be using the rifle for will be recreation and (possibly but less likely) small game hunting. I doubt I'll be pushing a huge number of rounds through it over its lifetime, but it won't be gathering dust by any means.

Any 1st hand suggestions?

Entry Tactical, no question. The RRA will have a better fit and finish then a Bushy, and certainly better than some of the new Colts (I've seen some new Colts lately that have TONS of tool marks, uneven finishes etc). Entry Tacs come with hogue grips, the star selector, and a two stage trigger, and all of that for less than a Bushie or Colt. It will be plenty reliable for range stuff....well, honestly, it will be reliable enough for just about anything. Someone will be along soon to complain about RRA using 4140 instead of 4150 barrel steel, but this means very little,  IMHO. If you were shooting thousands of rounds on full atuo, then MAYBE it would matter, maybe.

Now I'm not saying Bushies and Colts aren't good, they are very good. But I think RRA offers the best bang for the buck and I, like many people on the board, really like their products.

One more thing: before you drop the money on an m4gery, make sure you check out midlength rifles. When I got into ARs a year ago, I only had an interest in M4s. After doing a lot of reading I was really sold on the midlength gas system, and I ended up going that route instead.

Good luck man

MCO
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 10:56:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I live in valdosta Ga.  The reason that I want a colt I guess is the same reason that I bought a weatherby deer rifle over a rem 700 or win 70 I guess because they are really not any better with regards to functionality.  I have 2 colt fullsize ARs and I like them both so I figured Id go with that.  I am told that the distributors will be getting some ARs in in a couple of weeks but Im not sure of it.  I just was wondering why pay so much for the lem model.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 11:03:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Lower, your choice. Either a Stag or RRA.

Upper like this (BCM)

Mil-Spec Features

* M4 Feed Ramp Barrel Extension (USGI)
   * M4 Feed Ramp Flat Top Receiver
   * T-Marked Upper Receivers
   * USGI 1/7 Twist Rates
   * USGI 5.56 NATO Chambers
   * Mil-Spec 11595E - 4150 Grade Barrel Steel (CMV)
   * Chrome Lined Bore and Chamber
   * Manganese Phosphate Barrel Finish
   * Mil-Spec F-Marked Forged Front Sights
   * USGI Government Profile Barrels
   * HPT (High Pressure Test) Barrels
   * MPI (Magnetic Particle Inspected) Barrels

For a whole lot less money.

Link Posted: 4/19/2006 11:15:02 AM EDT
[#11]
I had a colt HBAR in the late 80's. It was nice but not any nicer than the two Bushmaster I bought two months ago. I  bought a S&W last week thats pretty nice. The right dealer can get you one of those in the low 90's. I haven't shot the smith yet but I don't see much difference in the quality fit and finish wise between the colt, bushmaster and smith. My colt had a bad muzzle crown when I bought it new and I had to have a local gunsmith recrown it to shoot right.
The RRA's I have seen a gun shows look pretty nice with the dark finish but I have not shot one. I would consider buying one. Both of my bushies function flawlessly and are really accurate
BTW I had to have my Weatherby MarkV 300 also in the 80's.
JRandyH
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top