Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/16/2006 10:20:18 AM EDT
the title pretty much says it all.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 10:21:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 10:23:40 AM EDT
[#2]
the fsb i plan on using is a clamp on armalite so i don't know how much material I can take off of the bottom side of the fsb due to the heads on the screws.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 11:26:13 AM EDT
[#3]
The rear of the LaRue tube is shaped to fit over their gas block, so if you really wanted to see how much you need to shave, get one and compare.  The issue with shaving standard FSBs with pins is the pin area.  You have to thin that area alot to get it to fit, and thus physical integrity becomes an issue.  Pics to follow later.

PS:  Another option would be to open up the rear of the LaRue tube.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 11:54:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 12:04:01 PM EDT
[#5]
+1 on not being able to shave the std fsb low enough and still being structually sound.

stop being cheap and get the right part for the job the first time.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 1:25:43 PM EDT
[#6]
the shaved FSB works just fine with my Samson and I didn't have to take much material off at all around the pin area.

I just wanted to go with the larue tube this time to save weight on the build.  I guess i'll just get the larue gas block then.  

As far as being cheap, it's how I afford my toys.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 1:29:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I just wanted to go with the larue tube this time to save weight on the build.  

Then your buying the wrong tube.

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 1:37:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just wanted to go with the larue tube this time to save weight on the build.  

Then your buying the wrong tube.

eh I thought about the DD but I don't know if I like the idea of the oval shape.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 3:03:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I prefer shaved
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 3:17:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Some pics:

Some low profile gas blocks:

Left - Mongo special
Center - KAC
Right - LaRue

Three FF tubes:

Left - DD
Center - LaRue
Right - Troy/Samson

Finally, a pic of the fit between the LaRue tube and LaRue gas block.....................tight, isn't it?

For those who wonder...............................why is this an issue?  When you are installing a FF tube that extends past your low profile gas block, you have to be able to install the gas tube and gas block first, then slide the tube over the installed gas block for final assembly.  If your gas block is too tall/wide/whatever, you won't be able to install the tube, especially in the case of LaRue tubes.

Oh, and BTW, the LaRue tube is "oval" in the purest sense of the word, just not as "oval" as the DD.  The LaRue is taller than it is wide..............not by much and not as much as the DD, but it is.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:56:54 PM EDT
[#11]
well slap me on a stick and call me deep fried shit.  

Thank's mongo.  Looks like I might go with the DD tube(s) and run some PRI blocks.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 10:24:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Thank you for great pictures.  I didn't realize the fit was that close.  Is it possible to have a LaRue GB taper pinned in place and still slide the LaRue HG over?
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 1:51:52 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Thank you for great pictures.  I didn't realize the fit was that close.  Is it possible to have a LaRue GB taper pinned in place and still slide the LaRue HG over?

Yes - Link.

But................................................why????
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:03:15 AM EDT
[#14]
I've played with set screws for awhile now and have decided I don't like them and they don't inspire confidence in my weapon unless you are willing to red loctite the screws and green loctite the block itself to the barrel.  I'd rather taper pin it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 12:08:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I've played with set screws for awhile now and have decided I don't like them and they don't inspire confidence in my weapon unless you are willing to red loctite the screws and green loctite the block itself to the barrel.  I'd rather taper pin it.

If you read the Noveske write up closely, they dimple the barrel where the setscrews go, use red Loctite on the setscrews and use Loctite to seal it to the barrel THEN pin it in place.

Proper barrel dimpling and use of Loctite would make any setscrew installed gas block bomb proof.  The Noveske version is nuke proof.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 10:54:25 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Some pics:

Left - Mongo special
Center - KAC
Right - LaRue

img124.imageshack.us/img124/2038/dsc023973uh.jpg

Three FF tubes:

Left - DD
Center - LaRue
Right - Troy/Samson

img385.imageshack.us/img385/6167/dsc023980pm.jpg

Finally, a pic of the fit between the LaRue tube and LaRue gas block.....................tight, isn't it?

img45.imageshack.us/img45/8224/dsc023998gh.jpg

For those who wonder...............................why is this an issue?  When you are installing a FF tube that extends past your low profile gas block, you have to be able to install the gas tube and gas block first, then slide the tube over the installed gas block for final assembly.  If your gas block is too tall/wide/whatever, you won't be able to install the tube, especially in the case of LaRue tubes.

Oh, and BTW, the LaRue tube is "oval" in the purest sense of the word, just not as "oval" as the DD.  The LaRue is taller than it is wide..............not by much and not as much as the DD, but it is.

Will a shaved FSB fit under a DD rail?
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 11:20:41 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Some pics:

Left - Mongo special
Center - KAC
Right - LaRue

img124.imageshack.us/img124/2038/dsc023973uh.jpg</a>

Three FF tubes:

Left - DD
Center - LaRue
Right - Troy/Samson

img385.imageshack.us/img385/6167/dsc023980pm.jpg</a>

img45.imageshack.us/img45/8224/dsc023998gh.jpg</a>

Will a shaved FSB fit under a DD rail?

If shaved enough.................yes.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top