Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/15/2006 1:53:53 PM EDT
Well, my 9mm AR just seems to be collecting dust and my G/F seems to lay a claim on my DPMS M4 every time we go to the range, so I am looking to sell the 9mm AR and get a second 16" carbine for myself.  

I handled a DPMS 16" superlight today and was very impressed by the balance...it matches the handling on my nekkid muzzle M4 DPMS that the G/F likes.  Anyhow, besides DPMS, who is making 16" superligh rifles?  If I had my choice, the option for chrome barrel would be good, and a chrome bolt carrier woudl also be good.  We are talking complete rifle here, not just uppers...done enough builds to know I want a factory built and warrantied gun.  

DPMS and Bushmaster are all that I can think of offhand...any others out there?

Dawg
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:00:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Go with the Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:18:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Dawg

Can’t think of any others myself. I know you don’t want to do a BIY AR again, but I did use a DPMS light weight barrel in my last build. And I have to say I’m really pleased with the quality of the barrel. Can’t comment on the quality of a complete DPMS weapon, sorry.

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:54:53 PM EDT
[#3]
CMMG...click me.

Pic borrowed from CMMG's website.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:28:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dawg

Can’t think of any others myself. I know you don’t want to do a BIY AR again, but I did use a DPMS light weight barrel in my last build. And I have to say I’m really pleased with the quality of the barrel. Can’t comment on the quality of a complete DPMS weapon, sorry.

www.hunt101.com/img/396681-big.jpg

LOL, I actually CAN comment on the quality of a complete DPMS rifle...I have one of their Panther carbines, and it has never had a malfuncation of any sort in 2500+ rounds.  

Hmm...well I can't really afford a new carbine over $1K (my budget is lmited to what I can make off the sale on my 9mm AR, which I would think is around $800-850), so it looks like Bushmaster and CMMG are out of the running.  I handled a superlight DPMS and really like it, but they don't have the chrome lined barrels.  

Damn, I would be more than willig to pay an extra $40-50 to get the DPMS with chrome lining, aargh...DPMS, why can't you get up to speed? Of course, $775_tax for a copmlete rifle NIB at Rguns (I live very close, have always had good dealings with them) is just damn hard to beat.

Other option I am considering is DPMS lower + Cavarms middy upper.  Or the DPMS lower + a Model 1 Sales superlight (shudder) becuase i can get it with chrome lined bore and even a chrome bolt carrier just like I want for a couple of bucks less than the complete DPMS.

Sorry, just thinking out loud.  Any comments are welcome.

Dawg
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:50:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I know you didnt want to build, but slapping a lower and an upper together IMHO, isnt truely building.  So, email CMMG to see if they can do a 16" lightweight upper.  I just checked their site but didnt see it, however I am pretty damn sure I've seen it on there a few weeks ago.

Anyway,  complete upper from CMMG=$525-$550
Complete RRA lower (LPK, grip and stock) from Adcofirearms.com=$275

You have a complete gun for around $800.  Watch the EE for an affordable sight.

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:56:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:02:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Colt and Olympic. I recomend the former over the latter.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 11:05:23 PM EDT
[#8]
del-ton and jt distributing offers a true .625 lw bbl but i think with delton you have to call it in.

i would go with a bushmaster myself.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 11:18:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
del-ton and jt distributing offers a true .625 lw bbl but i think with delton you have to call it in.

i would go with a bushmaster myself.

My barrel posted above was from Del-Ton. My sons lt. wt. barrel was from J&T and it is the true .625 dia.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 11:40:34 PM EDT
[#10]
eagle makes a really nice super light upper.  I have one for my dissy.

http://www.eaglefirearms.net/ef_uppers.htm
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 6:29:51 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Why not put an ad up on the EE looking to trade your 9mm upper for a LW 5.56 upper?

LOL, well, I need a lower to go with it, but damn good idea...I'll see if someone wants to swap or partial swap for the entire 9mm rifle.

Hey, thanks guys, I appreciate all teh responses.  J&T's wwebsite isn't running but they have the catalog which I will dowload and check out. Looks like Eagle is out of stock, but the lightweight chrome lined barrel is good to go and I trust Eagle- have ordered from them before and their prices and service are excellent.

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 6:45:00 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dawg

I want a link to that!

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:16:42 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dawg

I want a link to that!

A link to what?
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 8:53:14 AM EDT
[#14]
I just came back from a Final Option carbine course. Another student and I were both issued brand new unfired DPMS lightweight 16 inch carbines. In two days we put around 1600-1800 rounds through both of them with ZERO malfunctions. They were never cleaned during the entire course, but at the beginning of day two I did give each one a good squirt of lube in through the ejection port. All they needed to run with Federal ball. Practical accuracy was fine and I liked the way they handled. I did have a problem with a DPMS Magonel (or however you spell it) BUIS. It would drop during a string of fire.....had to run some electrical tape around it to keep it up. Also had a EOTech die on the second day (why I was running the BUIS).....shit happens.....

DPMS lightweight? two thumbs up from me.......
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top