Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/15/2006 12:48:57 PM EDT
Sorry for the vague title. =)

First of all, how important/beneficial is to have a carrier with a shrouded area for the firing pin? That isn't mil-spec, is it?

What do you keep for spares for your rifles? So far the only parts failure I've experienced has been the firing pin retaining pin. The only other parts I can imagine are likely to fail would be the extractor spring, the firing pin, and everything else seems pretty sturdy and that any failure is rare?

How important is a chrome-lined carrier? I guess I'm confused by the bolt's movement as the gun is fired. Can anybody explain when/how it rotates?

Also, any downsides to installing an A-1 site? They seem to be a great deal at $13, and are very simple. I figure if i'm not shooting out past 300-yards, I don't even need an A-2.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 1:11:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 1:33:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Those are some varied questions, Opesus

with respect to the bolts movement, perhaps this demo will help...Click the start key at the bottom left of the photo -----> that you see by clicking on this link

and here is one I like even more as it shows the action very well---->M4 receiver animation, courtesy of Biggerhammer

Spare parts?

Opinions vary widely.... from none at all ........to my preference (shown below)

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 9:34:18 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Those are some varied questions, Opesus

with respect to the bolts movement, perhaps this demo will help...Click the start key at the bottom left of the photo -----> that you see by clicking on this link

and here is one I like even more as it shows the action very well---->M4 receiver animation, courtesy of Biggerhammer

Spare parts?

Opinions vary widely.... from none at all ........to my preference (shown below)

img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/redfisher19/53bfe462.jpg

Thanks for the videos, very helpful.
And I slowly assembled a second rifle to serve as a backup for my primary. But now I want spare parts for my backup. =)
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 10:18:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
.... I slowly assembled a second rifle to serve as a backup for my primary. But now I want spare parts for my backup. =)

Spare parts is a matter of how much you shoot, and what type of shooting

Good options to keep in a compartmented, tupper-ware container similar to those used as fishing tackle holders like this one.........

include:

Spare bolt (complete with extractor)
Extractor spring/D-fender
BUIS (rear)
(H) Buffer
Fire control parts (I have never needed these, but have them)
various small parts like, buffer detent, grip/selector spring
Front sight tool
Magazine parts (depending on the volume of your magazine inventory)
Spare sling
Charging handle

Thats a pretty good list, and again would depend largely on your type shooting, condition of your gun(s) and deployment (a camping trip, vacation, etc of a couple weeks extended or more with your gun as a critical item should include this and maybe more)

HTH.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 10:22:57 AM EDT
[#5]
You don't need chrome it's over rated. You don't need the A2 apeature it's also over rated.

Shoot whatever kind of ammo you want.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 12:17:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You don't need chrome it's over rated. You don't need the A2 apeature it's also over rated.

As far as chrome-lined, I looked over my 2 carriers (RRA and BM) and noticed they are both chrome. After watching the videos and thinking about their function, I'm now of the opinion that a chrome-lined carrier is essential. Now the bore on the other hand, I think that's over-rated, but taht's just me. (For my first upper, chrome-lining would've cost me $100 extra. On my most recent upper used, I made a point of getting a chrome-lined barrel as I figure it only cost me $25 extra...)

Oh and I shoot almost exclusively wolf. =)

Never had a malfunction on my main rifle, except when I first installed it. Foolishly put the spring and buffer in backwards (that's how they arrived!! :p). I have sheared 1 firing pin retaining pin (didn't cause a malfunction, it was broken in place, so it served it's function until I cleaned the gun. Currently the pin I have is half sheared, but so far so good. =)

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 2:38:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Classic example of troll or idiot first post.  I vote troll.  If this is legit advice pleas get a clue before reposting.  chrome lined carrier is THE most essential part to be chromed in an AR.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 4:39:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
chrome lined carrier is THE most essential part to be chromed in an AR.

If I'm not mistaken, the military M16s do not have chrome-lined carrier. So why is it so essential?
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:05:37 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
First of all, how important/beneficial is to have a carrier with a shrouded area for the firing pin? That isn't mil-spec, is it?

At best it just keeps the firing pin retaining pin from getting beaten up.  It's not critical.

What do you keep for spares for your rifles?

1) Complete identical spare rifle
2) Spare complete bolt
3) spare firing pin, several spare firing pin retaining pins, spare cam pin x2, spare rings, spare extractors with spring & insert (several of these), spare hammer & trigger springs, spare disconnector & spring (x2), spare buffer springs, several spare hammer/trigger pins.

I've got more, but that is what I always try to have on hand.

that any failure is rare?

Failures are rare - it's mostly springs that wear out.  But a spare bolt (heck a bolt-carrier group is even better) is the fastest way to get your carbine back to function should something go south during a class.  Hammer/Trigger pins have been known to break (rare but it happens) the same with cam pins.

How important is a chrome-lined carrier

Very important.

? I guess I'm confused by the bolt's movement as the gun is fired. Can anybody explain when/how it rotates?

This gets conda complex.  I'd suggest you download FM3-23.9 from the Information button above and read it.  There is a very detailed (with diagrams) explaination on how the bolt is pressurized from the gas and causes the bolt carrier to move to the rear (while the cam pin forces the bolt to rotate to unlock).

Also, any downsides to installing an A-1 site? They seem to be a great deal at $13, and are very simple. I figure if i'm not shooting out past 300-yards, I don't even need an A-2.

?? You can't install an A1 sight on an A2 upper.

A1 uppers run $70-$140.

If you are talking apertures, then the A2 aperture is better than the A1 (many of us with A1 uppers use A2 or Ashley apertures in the A1 uppers).
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:42:00 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Originally Posted By Forest
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How important is a chrome-lined carrier?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Very important.

If I'm not mistaken, the military M16s do not have chrome-lined carrier. So why is it so essential?

Sorry for reposting this question but can anyone explain this?
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:11:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Classic example of troll or idiot first post.  I vote troll.  If this is legit advice pleas get a clue before reposting.  chrome lined carrier is THE most essential part to be chromed in an AR.

INCOGNITO is a troll.  Devl is on the money.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:12:42 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Originally Posted By Forest
How important is a chrome-lined carrier?
Very important.

Sorry for reposting this question but can anyone explain this?

M16s DO have a chrome lined carrier.  In fact the very early M16s and A1s had a FULLY chromed carrier and bolt.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:41:13 AM EDT
[#13]
All XM16E1s, M16A1-A4s and M4M4A1 all have chromed carriers (its chromed on the inside) and chromed chambers and bores.  The chrome allows for more maintainance free operation in field/combat conditions.  Without it your ammo can stick to the inside of the chamber and rust in humid/wet conditions.  (this is based on actual combat experience)

CD
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:54:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
All XM16E1s, M16A1-A4s and M4M4A1 all have chromed carriers (its chromed on the inside)
CD

Now I get it. I was confused since all the m16A1 and A2 carriers that I've seen were dark (parkerized?). I didn't realize that the carrier was chrome-lined on the inside (the channel where the bolt lies?)

Thanks
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top