Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/14/2006 8:57:26 AM EDT
I just installed a MI#20 rail and TD VFG in my M4 last night. I put the VFG closer to the FSB than the magwell but I noticed that it was imposible to hold the handguards like a regular rifle. Should I move it closer to the magwell?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:01:23 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I just installed a MI#20 rail and TD VFG in my M4 last night. I put the VFG closer to the FSB than the magwell but I noticed that it was imposible to hold the handguards like a regular rifle. Should I move it closer to the magwell?

Positioning of the VFG is a personal thing.  Generally if you're using a VFG you are not going to be using the handguard at all - the VFG replaces it for most people.

Now if you have really long arms you can position the VFG near the FSB and still use the handguards, but to what purpose?

For me I like VFGs near the magazine well (set about 2 notches forward).  For my arms/body it's the most comfortable hold and allows me to swing the carbine as needed.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:03:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Keep your elbow's in, no chicken wings.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:22:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Tuck your support elbow to your body and adjust your VFG to a comfortable position.

Mine is at the B19 rail position but everybody have different sizes and preferences, see my pic on your other TD VFG - MI rails thread.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:44:41 AM EDT
[#4]
As close to the magwell as possible on carbine and rifle.

I prefer a compactness to my arms when shooting and my elbows don't stick outside my bodyline.
I'm not sure if it looks wierd or if it's even proper, but it works for me.

HS1
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:52:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Ideally it should be positioned on the Top rail or anywhere on your airsoft weapon!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 2:35:48 PM EDT
[#6]
They look great in the gun store display case.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 2:49:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I pushed mine a little forward of middle so that I can still use the handguard section near the magwell if I want to.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:01:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got real long arms, so I keep mine out closer to the FSB.  Try to hold your support hand as if it were around the VFG along the bottom of the rails, and slide it forward and back until it feels comfortable.  Then put the VFG on at that point, and you'll have a general idea.
Too far forward, and you end up spread eagled with little actual support.
Too close, and you end up asking why you bought the thing when you might as well just hold the mag well.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:05:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I've got real long arms, so I keep mine out closer to the FSB.  Try to hold your support hand as if it were around the VFG along the bottom of the rails, and slide it forward and back until it feels comfortable.  Then put the VFG on at that point, and you'll have a general idea.
Too far forward, and you end up spread eagled with little actual support.
Too close, and you end up asking why you bought the thing when you might as well just hold the mag well.

The mag well gets HOT!.

I run mine as far back as possible. I use the VFG just like I would hold the mag well, with a "thumb-up" grip.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top