Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/13/2006 9:27:55 PM EDT
Flame if you wish, but why are most front sight bases so frickin' ugly?

Most other AR parts nowadays are manufactured and finished with a certain level of precision.
All my FSB's have big nasty forge marks and whatnot...
It actually looks out of place compared to the rest of the rifle.
I've seen very few that have taken the time to machine them nice and pretty-like.

What gives?!

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:34:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:38:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I know what your talking about, and I'm in the same boat with you as well.  You got the people chiming in that say "it's a battle rifle, just shoot it".  Well I say bullshit on that.  If I pay around $1000 for a firearm, I want it to look like i paid $1000, not $100.  The FSB looked like shit and was pitted on my bushmaster when I had it.  My RRA Entry actually looks really good.  I'm happy with it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:39:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for your insight Lump...
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:42:23 PM EDT
[#4]
NUKE YOUR FSB!!!

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:52:51 PM EDT
[#5]
More to the point.....

I don't like looking thru a round hole at that FSB "pitch fork" anyway.

The PRI sight gives a perfect "GhostRing" (looking thru a round hole at a round front sight).

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:11:06 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
NUKE YOUR FSB!!!

www.auctionadvisory.com/315bcm3.jpg

Maybe I'm weird but I would rather have an "fugly" FSB that is installed with taper (or even straight) pins then a "pretty" one held on with clamps or setscrews.

If you want a pretty fixed FSB, find somebody still using Cast FSB's. Much prettier then the forged versions but again in this case, I'll take the "ugly" one everytime.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:33:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I disagree with Lumpy; it's not gay, it's just queer...

As long as the important surfaces are smooth and functional, and the unimportant surfaces aren't a problem (snags, voids, etc.) who CARES what a FSB looks like?  I plan to look at the south end of mine, and it's nice and smooth (with a forge mark/seam on it, admittedly), and what other people think about what the other sides of it look like doesn't matter to me.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:51:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top