Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2006 8:14:34 PM EDT
I just picked up my first AR-15 and would like to know what yardage to sight in for PD hunting and coyote hunting.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 2:30:32 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
50 yrds

groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/improvedbattlesightzero.msnw

+1... Zero'd at 50 yards and trajectory with 55 gr ammo is theoretically never more than +/- 2" from point of aim from basically one to 250 meters, and still battle accurate out to 300 meters, which is more range than most of us will ever actually use for anything besides punching paper or plinkin'. My patrol rifle is zero'd per the instructions at the link posted above.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 2:48:20 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I just picked up my first AR-15 and would like to know what yardage to sight in for PD hunting and coyote hunting.

Thanks

While a big supporter of the 50 yard IBZ referred to in the above posts, for use with irons or red-dots such as the Aimpoint or EOTech, your "intended-use" comments require a different approach if your planning to be successful.

IF you are serious about the PD hunting, you'll need a quality "tactical" scoped rifle zeroed for 100 yards and a come-up chart for the load your using. Something similar to this (below) so you can "dial-in" on those dogs......

Come-ups for 24" Colt Accurized Rifle (6724) w/ Leupold Vari-X III, 4.5x14 w/ turrets and Mil-Dots
100- zero
200-1 1/2 min
300-3 3/4 min
350-4 min
400-5 1/2 min
450-7 1/2 min
500-9 1/4 min
550-11 1/2 min
600-12 3/4 min
700-17 3/4 min
800-23 min
900- no target
1000-35 1/2 min (34-36 depending on humidity)

This may be of some use to ya.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:07:45 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

While a big supporter of the 50 yard IBZ referred to in the above posts, for use with irons or red-dots such as the Aimpoint or EOTech, your "intended-use" comments require a different approach if your planning to be successful.

IF you are serious about the PD hunting, you'll need a quality "tactical" scoped rifle zeroed for 100 yards and a come-up chart for the load your using. Something similar to this (below) so you can "dial-in" on those dogs......

Come-ups for 24" Colt Accurized Rifle (6724) w/ Leupold Vari-X III, 4.5x14 w/ turrets and Mil-Dots
100- zero
200-1 1/2 min
300-3 3/4 min
350-4 min
400-5 1/2 min
450-7 1/2 min
500-9 1/4 min
550-11 1/2 min
600-12 3/4 min
700-17 3/4 min
800-23 min
900- no target
1000-35 1/2 min (34-36 depending on humidity)

This may be of some use to ya.

Mike

Good point, but if he is going to use irons I didn't figure he is going to do much with a PD past IBSZ range with a 4MOA stock 4 MOA front sight post anyway. Not sure he'll bust many coyotes past 300 meters with the irons either, but could be wrong. I'd definitely go with a good scope for serious PD hunting and any sort of long range coyote bustin'... Just sayin' that the IBSZ is as good as any for irons, IMO.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:26:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good point, but if he is going to use irons I didn't figure he is going to do much with a PD past IBSZ range with a 4MOA stock 4 MOA front sight post anyway. Not sure he'll bust many coyotes past 300 meters with the irons either, but could be wrong. I'd definitely go with a good scope for serious PD hunting and any sort of long range coyote bustin'... Just sayin' that the IBSZ is as good as any for irons, IMO.

duuuhhhhh, If you take a closer look, that's exactly what "I" said.......

Mike
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:43:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

duuuhhhhh, If you take a closer look, that's exactly what "I" said.......

Mike

Duuuhhhh... I wa just agreeing with you. No need for the attitude.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:34:07 AM EDT
[#7]
....Would be nice if Cobra chimed-in to let us know the type of sights in use. I would assume scope, since this is what I personally need to keep a coyote reasonably well sighted at 200-300 yds...particularly if it's on the move. I keep my 6-18X scope zeroed for 200 yds. I zero my carry handle-irons (flattop rifle) at 25, per the TM for general use, plinking, targets, etc.

Hotgun
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:26:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I plan on using a scope (6.5x20). The ammo will be federal umc 50g jhp.

Great info so far, thanks a million. I will use my 22-250 for the long shots.

P.S. Dont know if this maters but the AR is a Hbar 20" match target competition.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top