BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2006 11:57:40 AM EDT
Is this a correct assessment of barrel profiles?:

Going from lightest/thinnest to heaviest:

1)"Lightweight" Barrel: consistently thin from upper receiver to FH sometimes called "pencil" thin
2)"Gov't Profile": Thin under handguards/heavier up front for 203
3)"Medium Contour" (ala CMMG Inc.): I'm guessing consistent thickness for length of barrel somewhere between gov't profile and Hbar
4)"H-Bar": Thick Contour for entire length of barrel

I searched for definitions but couldn't find one unified answer.  If I have missed any please let me know (I purposely left out the M4 profile because I wasn't sure how to categorize it).

Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:12:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Basically you have it correct.  Medium varies depending on who's barrel.  Anywhere from a consistant 0.75" for the entire barrel, up to a .8something (SPR type).  Heavys are in the .95 to 1" range to the FS then 0.75" after.

Bull Barrels are 1" the entire length (chamber to muzzle).

M4 would be a 'Govt Profile" as that is what the Govt uses, and it fits the bill.  It just adds a notch for the M203.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:31:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Basically you have it correct.  Medium varies depending on who's barrel.  Anywhere from a consistant 0.75" for the entire barrel, up to a .8something (SPR type).  Heavys are in the .95 to 1" range to the FS then 0.75" after.

Bull Barrels are 1" the entire length (chamber to muzzle).

M4 would be a 'Govt Profile" as that is what the Govt uses, and it fits the bill.  It just adds a notch for the M203.

Thanks.  I figured I was pretty close but just wanted to get a concrete answer on the subject.

Thanks again.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top