Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/12/2006 6:28:17 AM EDT
When I had an HBAR in the 80's there weren't alot of options available at the time. I stuck a nice scope on the carrying handle and off I went.
I just got back into shooting again and bought a bushie 16 and a varminter. Both shoot really nice.
I stuck scopes on both and was quite happy until I saw all the new options available. I would like to either buy another rifle or put something different on the 16 inch (flat top). I guess the main options would be an EOTech or an Aimpoint. What are the advantages of each. I like accuracy and guess that why I have liked scopes. Which would give me better 100 yard accuracy at the cost of WHAT? If I buy an eotech which one? and what do I need for a mount? and what the deal with the co whatever you call it with the front sight?
Any help would be appreciated.
JRandyH
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:11:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a new EO512 on my 16" flattop. I prefer shooting with both the front and rear sights folded down, that gives me the largest and clearest sight picture I've ever used on a firearm. So frankly I would not even try to co-witness other than sighting in at the range.

The holographic sights are superior to the old red-dot sights in my opinion for two main reasons:
1.) They offer a 1MOA dot which is more precise than the 3-5MOA dots of many red-dots.
2.) They are a point and click interface so you do not have to worry as much about sight picture and cheek welds, you see the dot, that's where the bullet goes. Of course the red-dots are not as picky as your standard scopes either, so they are sort of an in-between tool.

Disadvantage is zero magnification, many red-dots offer 1.5-3x at least. But zero mag also improves the  field of view.  

I am trying to get used to it still, shooting with both eyes open is very strange to me. I have to unlearn 37 years of experience.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top