Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2006 4:33:30 PM EDT
So I have a LMT lower w/ a SOPMOD stock...
I recently ordered an ASP single pt sling and a Daniel Defense right hand end plate.
I'm ready to take the end plate off...and what do i see? A STAKED END PLATE!!!!!
grrr.....

ETA: Got the stakes out. Good to go now. If you havent noticed this is my first time at doing this :/
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:39:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Colt does that too
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:42:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't sense any sarcasm are you really mad they put their lowers together right?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:52:40 PM EDT
[#3]
No. You fail to see that I have a single pt. sling and a DD end plate that is no use any more since it cannot be installed. I could install the ASP sling to the butt-stock, but I do not want it there. Understand?
Good.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:54:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I don't sense any sarcasm are you really mad they put their lowers together right?

You mean everyone doesn't build them that way?

Scott (Colt/LMT owner)
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:05:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Could you use one of these?

Agency sling adapter

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:06:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Haha, most companies don't even built their receiver extension right!
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:06:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
So I have a LMT lower w/ a SOPMOD stock...
I recently ordered an ASP single pt sling and a Daniel Defense right hand end plate.
I'm ready to take the end plate off...and what do i see? A STAKED END PLATE!!!!!
grrr.....

I'd like to see exactly what you are talking about, just for the info. Do you have pics?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:12:15 PM EDT
[#8]
The endplate was staked in the small slots on the castle nut (not the slots where you would use your wrench). Anywho, I he-maned it and broke through the stakes. I'm good to go now.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:25:20 PM EDT
[#9]
It's not that hard to take it off.  I also have an LMT complete lower with the staked end plate.  Just crank that sucker off with a stock wrench.  Its only staked in 3 places.  It isn't permanent.

Doh!  See what happens when you leave for a few minutes with the reply window open .
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:22:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:23:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The endplate was staked in the small slots on the castle nut (not the slots where you would use your wrench). Anywho, I he-maned it and broke through the stakes. I'm good to go now.

Well then... one thing you could do is go and edit the title of this thread to something like "Thank you LMT for building lowers by the book".  It's a good thing that these things take some effort to tear apart. It makes people think before they do something potentially stupid. Less threads titled "I lost my take-down pin detent and spring, HELP!!!"
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:49:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
grrr.....

A staked castle nut is a good thing. The vast majority of AR's do not have this. Hence, another reason why Colt and LMT are superior.

Just get the adapter that fits on there without having to take off the tube. I'd rather have it staked on and left alone than to insist on using the plate with sling loop.

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:59:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Get you one of these from Tony's Custom Uppers.   It will easily will loosen a staked castle nut.  I let a few fellow armorers use it when I was at the Blackwater Bushmaster armorers course last month.  The Blackwater instructors were very impressed with it and ordered a dozen or so themselves.

They're about $12 tonyscustomuppers.com/  They're not listed on his website so don't order the older style CAR stock wrench by accident (which is stamped steel).  Just call and ask for the M4 castle nut style spanner wrench.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:09:19 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Get you one of these from Tony's Custom Uppers.   It will easily will loosen a staked castle nut.  I let a few fellow armorers use it when I was at the Blackwater Bushmaster armorers course last month.  The Blackwater instructors were very impressed with it and ordered a dozen or so themselves.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/M4stockwrench.jpg

They're about $12 tonyscustomuppers.com/  They're not listed on his website so don't order the older style CAR stock wrench by accident (which is stamped steel).  Just call and ask for the M4 castle nut style spanner wrench.

Oh that's nice! Thanks GotM4, I'll be adding another tool to my collection
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:13:20 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Staking or unstaking the castle nut isn't a big deal.  Once you 've got your mount in place and castle nut tightened down, make sure you stake it back into place.  What you described above is the correct way to stake.

Its worth doing right.

Huge +1

I can't believe you were bitching because they did it right?

gotm4 - that wrench is pretty sweet. Cheap too. Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:26:02 AM EDT
[#16]
My Colts are this way and I prefer to leave the castle nut staked in place - but like to have the single point sling option

Therefore, I got one of these Daniel Defense products.

Best of both worlds

I recommend Chuck @ Operation Parts for this product.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top