Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2006 8:34:23 PM EDT
Hi Guys,
I have always been a carbine guy. I have an extra lower I want to use as a somewhat long range setup. I believe I want to go with a 20" barrel. Now I am torn between a standard heavey barrel with a flat top settup or a bull barrel settup.
Heres my question.
1. If I go with a bull barrel I have the option of having it threaded so I ban put a vortex,etc.
Or I can have it ported. Which would you do. Does anyone have a pic of a bull barrel with a flash suppressor on it?  I am really liking this one right now. 20" A4 Varmint by LEGAL TRANSFERS.
http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=257039
2. I can go with a standard 20" heavy barrel with a flattop settup. like a bushmaster v match.

Will the bull barrel be that much more accurate, say 300 yrds away. I would like to do some varmint hunting with it.
Any advice will be very appreciated.

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:50:10 PM EDT
[#1]
if your looking for something in "standard" H-Bar configuration, why dont you look at RRA's National Match  upper, its not an "h-bar" persay but it should be good with long range shot's,

just my .02

-Troy
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:04:06 PM EDT
[#2]
If your definition of "long range" is 300 yards, a 20" barrel will be fine.  A longer barrel, such as 26" or 28", will get you more velocity (100 to 200 fps) but not much more than that.

If you are intent upon having a long barrel (>16"), I would avoid the truly "BULL" barrel such as the 0.920" diameter barrel offered by Rock River Arms and others.  I have one in a 16" barrel and it is great.  I would NOT want one any longer than 16", the rifle would be a benchrest only rifle due to its excessive weight and awkward, imbalanced muzzle heaviness.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:06:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Will the bull barrel be that much more accurate, say 300 yrds away. I would like to do some varmint hunting with it.
Any advice will be very appreciated.

a bull barrel is not necessarily more accurate.  

for 300yd shooting, i would get a barrel or assembled upper from:
a) MSTN
b) Denny (GTS)
c) ADCO

anyway, don't by ANY barrel or complete upper until you have read the UPPERS/LOWERS/BARRELS forum for a month or two.  otherwise, you are just going to end up wasting money.  

ar15 accuracy =
40% barrel blank
40% barrel smith (the guy who contours, crowns, and chambers)
10% trigger
10% other

ergo, you can get 90% of the way there by picking the right blank (e.g. Douglas, Lilja, Mike Rock), the right 'smith (ADCO, MSTN, Denny), and the right trigger assy (e.g. CMC).

the above assumes you are using the right ammo (e.g. 75gr OTMs or 77gr SMKs) for the job.

ar-jedi

my RECCE with Denny's SS barrel (i can bounce a golfball at 200yds w/ BH 75gr OTMs):

an ADCO SPR-clone:

and some SPRs/RECCEs from MSTN fine assortment:

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:12:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Big +1 for ar-jedis advice
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:01:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Top one is RRA 24" Varmit upper with 16x SS scope. My personal favorite. I can hit a golf ball sitting on top of an empty 12 gauge shotgun shell at 200 yards with no problem.

The one under that is a RRA NM with 20" barrel and 10x SS scope. I can hit the same golf ball target at the same distance. Both are very heavy and must be shot off a bench.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top