Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2006 4:38:32 PM EDT
I'm getting into DCM comp stuff after trying it out a while ago but i've run into a connundrum in terms of what barrel to get.  I want to keep this upper affordable but also crave for accuracy.  I'm thinking about building off of the White Oak Precision upper reciever but can't quite decide if the staked sight is worth the extra money.  Also the barrel-- oh the barrel!  I'm looking into Pac-Nor, Sabre Defense, and White Oak Armament for a good barrel that won't cost me half a leg (e.g. Kreiger) but want a nice accuracy standard with it.  Any suggestions would be nice.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:56:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a Rock River NM barrel (1:8 stainless Wilson) from ADCO.  Plenty accurate and reasonably priced.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:54:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'm getting into DCM comp stuff after trying it out a while ago but i've run into a connundrum in terms of what barrel to get.  I want to keep this upper affordable but also crave for accuracy.  I'm thinking about building off of the White Oak Precision upper reciever but can't quite decide if the staked sight is worth the extra money.  Also the barrel-- oh the barrel!  I'm looking into Pac-Nor, Sabre Defense, and White Oak Armament for a good barrel that won't cost me half a leg (e.g. Kreiger) but want a nice accuracy standard with it.  Any suggestions would be nice.

(Forest Gump voice) High power shooting and White Oak Armament (John Holliger) are like two pea's in pod. If you want a CMP (not DCM anymore) upper that shoots like no tomorrow WOA is the best value for the money.  A very accurate CMP upper is no easy feat. John Holliger is a Nationally Ranked High Power shooter, who happens to be one of the best AR gunsmith in the country, bar none - When he shoots and wins with stuff he builds people notice. I have a CMP WOA built upper and while doing ammo testing for NRA High Power shooting this rifle can and does shoot 1/4 MOA. Lot's of people can put parts together, but very few know how to build an accurate AR.  John knows how to build an accurate AR to the point where it's a art form. He's the real deal and money well spent.    
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:03:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Get the pinned WOA with the 1/7 Wilson.  If you are serious about highpower, you find a way to justify the spendier barrels or you'll stick with the Wilson 1/7, as you progress.  If you're going to shoot irons, you might as well shoot out of Holliger's sights.  Dead nuts repeatablity throughout the elvation and windage range.  Positive clicks without backlash or binding.  The removable hooded sights are slick.
So yes, spend the few extra bucks and get a pinned rear sight.

The WOA 1/7 has a Wylde chamber and is chambered by Frank White of CLE.  All for a little over $200 for a replacement barrell!  What the hell are wondering about?  John's uppers shoot great.

My shooting partner has the PacNor 6.5 with the 223 Holliger chamber (looong throat).  It shoots great and is wonderful piece of work.  You only need the 6.5 if you want to shoot 90SMKs or JLKs.

I may be mistaken, but SabreDefence is known for their chromed barrels, not match barrels.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:13:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Get the pinned WOA with the 1/7 Wilson.  If you are serious about highpower, you find a way to justify the spendier barrels or you'll stick with the Wilson 1/7, as you progress.  If you're going to shoot irons, you might as well shoot out of Holliger's sights.  Dead nuts repeatablity throughout the elvation and windage range.  Positive clicks without backlash or binding.  The removable hooded sights are slick.
So yes, spend the few extra bucks and get a pinned rear sight.

The WOA 1/7 has a Wylde chamber and is chambered by Frank White of CLE.  All for a little over $200 for a replacement barrell!  What the hell are wondering about?  John's uppers shoot great.

My shooting partner has the PacNor 6.5 with the 223 Holliger chamber (looong throat).  It shoots great and is wonderful piece of work.  You only need the 6.5 if you want to shoot 90SMKs or JLKs.

I may be mistaken, but SabreDefence is known for their chromed barrels, not match barrels.

Ditto! Yep..........I've got the pinned rear sights on my WOA upper also. It must sound like an echo here. When you shoot a WOA upper the rifle will deliver if you do your part.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:21:19 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are just starting out, I'd get the Wilson and spend the extra couple hundred bucks saved on ammo.  Then practice.  By the time you wear that barrel out you'll probably get good enough to justify a Krieger or something along those lines.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:10:06 AM EDT
[#6]
WOA it is.  Just counting my pennies (or rather 50's considering the cost) and I should be able to afford it by the year's end  .  C'yall at Camp Perry!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:38:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Cant say enough good things about my WOA SR barrel.  Best barrel you can buy for $200.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:15:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

(Forest Gump voice) High power shooting and White Oak Armament (John Holliger) are like two pea's in pod. If you want a CMP (not DCM anymore) upper that shoots like no tomorrow WOA is the best value for the money.  A very accurate CMP upper is no easy feat. John Holliger is a Nationally Ranked High Power shooter, who happens to be one of the best AR gunsmith in the country, bar none - When he shoots and wins with stuff he builds people notice. I have a CMP WOA built upper and while doing ammo testing for NRA High Power shooting this rifle can and does shoot 1/4 MOA. Lot's of people can put parts together, but very few know how to build an accurate AR.  John knows how to build an accurate AR to the point where it's a art form. He's the real deal and money well spent.    

Couldn't have said it better myself!  Except.......spend a little now, rather than have to buy a better one in six months!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:31:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I shoot HP matches in IL, and almost everyone uses either a RRA NM or a White Oak upper.  Mr. Holliger also provided the uppers for the Illinois JR team (Illinois Hard Dogs.)

Here is the point spread for the top five shooters at the last match.  All were using White Oak rifles (SR or MR.)  One of the match rifles was chamered in a cartridge developed by Mr. Holliger which is based off the 6.8 SPC.  It shoots.

493-21x
488-17x
483-11x
481-15x
481-12x
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top