Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2006 5:05:20 PM EDT
Yes i know it is not a big deal but i am excited..i have wanted a target to shoot at and i got this for $25....He said is was shooting it with 22-250 if i remember correctly.  He said it was the equivilent of a 30-06 but do not have a clue.  The pingers are about 1/4" think so i think it was hold up to the 270.  All I have to do is rattle can it and I am good to go.

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:08:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I have shot threw those exact same kind with standard 270 hunting loads at 100 yards.  Ive done the same thing with 5.56.  Shoot it with .22 LR.

Unless its made of a diff steel but it looks like the standard ones.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:12:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
22-250 if i remember correctly.  He said it was the equivilent of a 30-06 but do not have a clue.

I think you should figure this out before your next advancement into the world of firearms.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:13:52 PM EDT
[#3]
it will get interesting then since i am planning on shooting it with the AR..If it goes thru i will take it to my friends shop(welder) and make some changes to it.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:19:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
22-250 if i remember correctly.  He said it was the equivilent of a 30-06 but do not have a clue.

I think you should figure this out before your next advancement into the world of firearms.

I guess reading is not your forte(not your thing) since I STATED I HAVE NO CLUE....THAT IS WHAT HE SAID.

I guess it is tuff knowing it all.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:37:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Why shoot holes thru it and end up ruining the thing?  Those targets are designed for 22 LR, and some handgun rounds, NOT 5.56 NATO.  You should sell it to someone who wants to improve their marksmanship.

Paladin
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:38:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess reading is not your forte(not your thing) since I STATED I HAVE NO CLUE....THAT IS WHAT HE SAID.

I guess it is tuff knowing it all.

By the way you said it, you imply you don't know if .22-250 is equavalent to a .30-06.  Look what I have quoted.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:42:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:43:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Fuck man, someone ransacked your garage!!

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:46:19 PM EDT
[#9]
calimove, is right. it is for 22lr. if .223 doesn't penetrate, it will ricochet at uncontrollable angles & create hazards. get some falling plates designed for the ammo you are shooting. do it right, you have started in that direction by asking for information on  this board, keep up the quest for knowlege. And remember, someone will always post something negative, but a smart man can learn from both positive and negative perspectives. And responding to negative posters always encourages them, as well as wasting your time.
  The proper tool for the proper job extends to EVERYTHING.  even targets for target shooting. you know that, thats why you asked the question.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:50:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
calimove,

5.56 will massacre that thing......  you might want to see if your friend has any higher grade steel to weld over it.  I think that either way its going to get butchered, but for $25, its not like its the end of the world.

I like your thinking....I bought my bushmaster a couple of months ago and I have only punchedpaper with it.  I have not hit anything metal with it.  I have read as much as I can and have seen lots of examples of wood and paper being destroyed  but nothing else.  I was at a sporting goods store the other day looked at a target for .22.  it was about a 1/3 of the thickness of this target so i assumed( I know never assume) but for $25 who cares  :)
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:51:25 PM EDT
[#11]
i shot the 44 mag rated one with 5.56 wolf and it went through it like a hot ice pick trhough a slushy cone. Thats not even gonna stand a chance. Even if you shot it with hollow points or varmit bullets it's gonna get bent and deformed in a hurry.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:57:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
calimove, is right. it is for 22lr. if .223 doesn't penetrate, it will ricochet at uncontrollable angles & create hazards. get some falling plates designed for the ammo you are shooting. do it right, you have started in that direction by asking for information on  this board, keep up the quest for knowlege. And remember, someone will always post something negative, but a smart man can learn from both positive and negative perspectives. And responding to negative posters always encourages them, as well as wasting your time.
  The proper tool for the proper job extends to EVERYTHING.  even targets for target shooting. you know that, thats why you asked the question.

Being these are spinners would you still think about a "falling" plate since it is not a fixed target?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:11:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Several years ago, three co-workers went out to the desert to shoot.  One guy (nicknamed Harley -honest) brought out his SKS and a tin full of Chinese ammo.  They were shooting at a home made spinner, and he was told that shooting at it with the SKS might not be a wise idea.  It would handle handgun and .223 ok, but the owner (Rick) was not sure about  the steel core ammo.

Sure as shit, he hit the spinner, the round blew apart, and a sizeable chunk of the jacket came back and hit Rick in the left calf.  Caused a pretty bad wound.  

Needless to say, no one let Harley forget this.  He was kind of an annoying know-it-all, and when you had enough of his B.S. for the day, all you had to do was say "tell us about the day you shot Rick."  

Stick to plinking on that thing with a .22 and you wont be sorry.  If you really want to shoot it with your AR, get a conversion kit.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:16:39 PM EDT
[#14]

I guess reading is not your forte

Well, here where we speak English, we put quotation marks around something that is quoted.

It keeps people from wondering what the hell we're talking about, and it just might keep you from responding like an asshat.

But hey, I guess English isn't your forte.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:17:02 PM EDT
[#15]
They make one that can take a 30-06 round , so maybe that is the one. They make three sizes of these. OUT. Tuna
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:23:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I will follow the advise given here so feel free to give me informed knowledge.  I go plink with FMJ ammo.  No steel core.  I am guessing 55gr average.  I was using this for 100yard plus range.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:44:09 PM EDT
[#17]
at 100 yards it will probably put about a quarter inch dent in it, at 50 it will go right through. you should'nt have any problems with riccochetts at 100 yards, just make sure the ground, leaves, grass, etc., isn't too dry when you shoot. even a sks will shoot through it up close.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:27:05 PM EDT
[#18]
COOL DEAL!!!! Better use only a 22 on it!!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 2:23:22 AM EDT
[#19]
if you are going to shoot it make sure there is a safe distance around the target from any life form.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top