Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/9/2006 11:08:04 AM EDT
Went down to Wichita this weekend for a buddy's 27th bday and took my AR since he's really been wanting to shoot it.  He LOVED it and about 2 mags into it he started talking about getting rid of some of his other guns to purchase an AR.  Since his bday is today, I was thinking about buying him a lower.

Now the question...  When I am filling out the paperwork I know there is a spot that bacically says "are you the end user of this gun?"

Should I mark no, or should I just treat it like any other purchase?

TIA
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:43:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Be careful.

I cannot directly answer your question, but there is a practice known as a "Straw Purchase"

This is where an individual buys a gun and gives it to someone who is not eligible to buy that same gun.

It is a felony----> ATF LINK to Straw Purchase incident

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:06:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe the question reads "Are you the actual purchaser of this firearm?"

That means you're paying for it with your money to do with it what you want.  If your buddy were to give you the cash for it and you filled out the paperwork and paid for it with his money, then walked outside and handed him the lower, that would be illegal.

It sounds like you want to give this to him as a gift and expect no reimbursement.  It is perfectly legal (per federal law) to buy a firearm and give it to another person, that may legal own that firearm, as a gift.  I don't know what the State laws are in Kansas.  Another way some people do this to avoid any issues, is to take the person with them to the gun store.  The end user then fills out the paperwork and takes possession of the firearm, but the gift giver pays the bill when all is said and done.

Must be a good friend to get a lower for his birthday.  I need to reevaluate who my friends are.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:18:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:20:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I was about to tell you that you cannot legally purchase a firearm for another person, but I just checked the 4473 instructions online, and Watertower is correct - it is perfectly legal to buy a firearm (lower) and then give it as a gift to a friend. Now that I've helped you, can I be one of your friends?!
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:42:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the answers guys.  He is perfectly legal, I just wanted to give him a nice suprise.  He's been around guns his whole life and has always loved the AR 15..  I was just making sure.  Thanks again.

Ted
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top