Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2006 10:29:03 PM EDT
Who says coloring is for kids?

I think I need a brighter red for "fire."
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:00:42 PM EDT
[#1]
29 views and nobody to at least say it looks like crap or I should have done something different?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:04:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Not really that big a deal
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:06:30 PM EDT
[#3]
looks like crap
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:08:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Yeah I know, but I have absolutely nothing to do and I'm about to go to bed.

So coloring/taking pictures/posting about it/waiting for insults takes up a little bit of time, and well, quite frankly, it worked.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:09:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
looks like crap

Wasn't necessarily looking for compliments, but something to talk about.  I guess I should have hit up the GD. God Forbid.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:10:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So coloring/taking pictures/posting about it/waiting for insults takes up a little bit of time, and well, quite frankly, it worked.

Maybe if you had a polished, shiny bare metal, blingy AR it might get more attention
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:11:10 PM EDT
[#7]
threads similar to this one pops up about twice a week for awhile now.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:12:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe if you had a polished, shiny bare metal, blingy AR it might get more attention

Might have to pick up one of these.

www.vbd.com/noc/images/products/12212932.jpg
https://www.vbd.com/noc/shop/products_detail.asp?CategoryID=29&ProductID=122

www.vbd.com/noc/images/products/272153924.jpg

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:13:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:14:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/twonami/attention-whore.jpg

Hott.

Alright bedtime. It's been fun
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:11:49 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

that's just wrong  

M4A1, what did you use?

I have seen some that look good, but IMO its best not to over-do the colors.

How to white-letter firearms
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:48:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

That's an internet classic.

I did the lettering on my LMT midlength with a white greasepen a while back. (Yeah, I got bored, too)

I eventually scraped it all out.

I have a bunch of 1980's issues of SOF, and they did the same trick so the lettering would show up better in their B&W pictures.

Scott

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:14:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Is is traditional to color in engraved markings? I see this pretty often in C&R rifles like captured 98ks where owners fill in the waffenamts and codes on the receiver bridge. I also received my 91/30 and K31 with the sight assembly's numbering colored in white though it turned to orange-ish due to cosmo and tine.

If it is indeed historically correct, what is the best way to fill them that would resist solvents and heat? Some kind of enamel?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:18:24 AM EDT
[#14]
i personally have never seen a reason to do this.  but, it's your gun, and if you like it, that's all that matters.   it looks like you did a nice job.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:41:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Fun huh !!

I think it gives the gun a little character.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:45:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Crayola works wonders, and is infinately renewable.

Many of us have at least one lower where we've colored in teh markings or roll mark.  The one that I did I use as my training rile when I take new shooters.  Makes it very clear to them what the safety positions are and allows me to see easier at a glance.

If you like it, keep it!

Tom  
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:42:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Yup, my little brother's Crayolas did just fine.

Extremely easy to do.  Rub in.  Apply a little CLP and rub excess off.  Then do it again if it doesn't look good.

It's a pain in the ass to get out though.  I just wanted to go with a brighter red, so I used a needle to get most of it out.

I was going to do the Stag-15 5.56mm but I didn't want to go overboard.  This small touch is enough for my satisfaction :)
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:02:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Crayons or wax based will impregnate wax into the anodized finish and make it glossy.

Use oil pencils.... they look like crayons but are oil based.  Works much better, and is easily removable with a little gun oil and a toothbrush.

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:20:03 PM EDT
[#19]
dupe!
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:35:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I've always wanted to see some photoshop art of this photo - Any takers?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:42:26 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Crayons or wax based will impregnate wax into the anodized finish and make it glossy.

Use oil pencils.... they look like crayons but are oil based.  Works much better, and is easily removable with a little gun oil and a toothbrush.

how do you make it unglossy
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top