Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2006 10:12:23 PM EDT
Does anyone have any experience with this target? It seems like a great idea, especially on an open field-type range where you can shoot at different angles, or perhaps walk and shoot. You would have to be careful about color choice... red w/ red dot probably would not be optimal...

Sniper Training Cube (M-STC4) http://stores.ballistictec.com/Detail.bok?no=22
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:18:43 PM EDT
[#1]
if there is a lot of open space and no people around then they would be great to shoot at.

they have a lot of different targets and the display cube is pretty cool. here's a link to everything they offer

i asked about the direction of the bullets when exiting and was never given any answer other than "dont know".
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:46:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Direction of the bullets...? Never thought of that...
Hmmm... I would think that at least at .223 velocities and with the small mass of the target, this should not be much of a interruption of a linear line.

It would be easy enough to check off of a target stand with a second target set up a few yards away. If I get one, I will experiment...
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:16:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I've seen those in ads before and thought they would be pretty cool if they worked as advertised (doesn't everything?).  

A "Raccoon o truth" test with it would be great.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:47:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow, that's....different...
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:57:34 PM EDT
[#5]
The target is not nearly as low mass as pictures may lead one to believe.  They are VERY dense, and deceptively heavy.  I don't believe that all rounds even pass through it.  I've never actually used one.  Just played around with one, and talked with some people who used them.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 12:30:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The target is not nearly as low mass as pictures may lead one to believe.  They are VERY dense, and deceptively heavy.  I don't believe that all rounds even pass through it.  I've never actually used one.  Just played around with one, and talked with some people who used them.

i did notice that they spoke of bullet piling in the cubes and the danger or ricochet when shooting the cube at closer range so maybe they dont pass through.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:05:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought one at a gun show. 223 makes it sort of roll around mostly, 308 gets it bouncing pretty good.

I thought someone was selling them here (copies made out of the same material) for much less than that.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:21:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i did notice that they spoke of bullet piling in the cubes and the danger or ricochet when shooting the cube at closer range so maybe they dont pass through.

I have one. Bullets pass through when you shoot the cube directly. But if you knock the cube over a small hill, and continue shooting, rounds that hit the deck and then enter the cube can become lodged in the cube. I know this because my cube now has what looks like a huge, festering pimple.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:32:47 AM EDT
[#9]
We shot one with a 458 Win Mag about 20 times it held up pretty damn good.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:23:57 AM EDT
[#10]
I have several of the cubes, as well as their life size prairie dogs made from the same material.  Bullets that strike other than 90 degrees to the impact face CAN become lodged into them, but most pass right on through.  Having a backstop is still a must, IMHO, as the pass throughs always seem to be redirected from the original line of fire.

They'll last a good long while, too.  The lower the caliber, the higher the rounds count you'll be able to get through them before they chunk apart and/or get stuffed with lead.  Fragmenting bullets, like the frangible varmint type, will usually fragment (just not as violently) and soft points will mushroom (but if they mushroom too fast they'll get stuck).  I have recovered lots of bullets from the soft earth berm that I have as a backstop to support this.  Bullets such as fail safes and partitions usually pass through, as do most FMJs, but the average soft point deer bullet usually will get stuck on a 90 degree strike in the center of the target.

Pistol bullets tend to hit and send the target flying/bouncing without penetrating, although on ocassion I have put a .357 sig and a 44 Magnum straight into the center of one.  9/40/45 do very little harm to it, but there's no telling which direction the bullet is going to get 'richocheted' after it hits the block(ask me how I know!!), so I don't recommend them for pistol work!  

The Pdogs that I have leap pretty good with .17/.20/.22 centerfires, have to tether them to the ground to keep 'em in the shooting lane, usually!  That's why I have 4, great fun to set up and knock down!

Tom  
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:29:52 AM EDT
[#11]
the clear display cubes would be kinda cool.   Not $75 worth of cool,though
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:55:59 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
the clear display cubes would be kinda cool.   Not $75 worth of cool,though

they're actually only $50 if you wanna shoot it yourself
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:14:14 AM EDT
[#13]
I thought this thing would be really stuipd when I first heard of it.....plus it seemed friggen expensive for a hunk of synthetic material.....but a friend of mine twisted my arm and I tried a couple of them...

man I am glad I did....they are friggen cool......you can shoot the snot out of them and they hold up fine.  They are a load of fun to keep rolling with an AR or bolt gun.

I gave one to a buddy and he loves it. Considering you can just keep using it I think it's a pretty good deal.

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:52:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I appreciate all the responses... Looks like I will have to get one of these.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top