Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/8/2006 11:49:07 AM EDT
I've noticed that older semi-autos like the Garand, M1 Carbine and M14 all have thier bolts exposed. Whereas the new semiautos, AR15, 10/22 ect all have thier bolts inclosed. Are there technical differances, such as performance, between the exposed and enclosed bolt systems?

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:59:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I think it's just the design. I trust my M1A and M1 Garand with my life just as much if not more than my M4gery even if the bolt is exposed. If properly maintained it shouldn't matter much
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:21:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I think it's just the design. I trust my M1A and M1 Garand with my life just as much if not more than my M4gery even if the bolt is exposed. If properly maintained it shouldn't matter much

+1

A better example of old vs. new is the sub machine gun. Open bolt Thompson or UZI vs closed bolt HK MP5 or UMP.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:26:14 PM EDT
[#3]
You'd think that the enclosed bolts would have less of a chance of getting junk in them.  Then again, once it does get in it's harder to get out.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:50:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You'd think that the enclosed bolts would have less of a chance of getting junk in them.  Then again, once it does get in it's harder to get out.

It did seem to me that the exposed bolt rifles would get dirtier easier, but the Garand, M1 carbine and M14 are all battle proven and are super realible. So getting dirty doesn't seem to be an issure. They are easier to clean too.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top