Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/8/2006 4:21:00 AM EDT
I just would like to say hey, im new to the forum's but im not new to AR's by no mean's, but anyway's im in the market for something accurate, and i heard noveske barrel's are exactly what i was looking for, and then i started looking at there uppers and came to a bit of a problem in whitch what upper i should get, i realy like the whole spr type rifle for the long range accuracy i need( looking to take shots out to 500 yrd's or less for the most part but maybe more) but i realy like the 14.5 afgan also seeing its a bit more compact with the same quality barrel. what would you guy's prefer i get would i lose  much accurcy out of a 14.5 barrel compared to the 18 inch spr or would the spr be better overall for making accurate shot's 1moa or better at 100 yards. eter way i would lke to make 1 moa or better with this rifle. if the 14.5 would give the accuray i wanted i would rather go with that seeing i could do some cqb  set up with it also but would much rather use a long rang set up for varmint's and such.

-Troy

ps. what would you expect on a wait time after i order there custom upper ( never ordered or owned a custom upper) also guy's have a great forum here.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:03:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:16:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow that post was certainly written in the Earnest Hemingway style...   I really like the concept of the Afghan bbl and it is what my next build will be centered on.  That being said, you need to determine the primary use for the weapon and I'm not sure form your post what that primary use is...
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:29:05 PM EDT
[#3]
It would be planned for mostly long to mid range varmint/target shooting out to about 500/600 yards at the most, but realisticly  distances ill do shooting at are more like 200-300 yards but i would like to be able to have a rifle that would reach out and touch somthing to atlest 500. i know the afgan would most likely full-fill that goal but i dont think it would full fill it as much as the recon or spr noveske upper's.

-Troy
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:37:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It would be planned for mostly long to mid range varmint/target shooting out to about 500/600 yards at the most, but realisticly  distances ill do shooting at are more like 200-300 yards but i would like to be able to have a rifle that would reach out and touch somthing to atlest 500. i know the afgan would most likely full-fill that goal but i dont think it would full fill it as much as the recon or spr noveske upper's.

-Troy

The Recon is fine, and is Title I as well.  You don't want to perm attach a muzzle device.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:41:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Yeah i also thought of that, what do you mean by Title I ? or what i mean is what is title I?

why wouldnt the 18 inch barrel be supiorer in accuracy compared to the 16 inch? stiffness in the shorter length?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:43:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Some where there is a post about barrel weight. I think the Noveske is heavier than an H-bar.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:47:52 PM EDT
[#7]

You will lose some velocity and see a corresponding increase in wind drift and bullet frop with the shorter barrel, but all things being equal it will be more reliable (due to the optimized gas system) and more accurate.  Shorter really is better in a lot of ways.

Title I means a non-NFA weapon.  Title II is where short barreled rifles fall.  Permanently attaching something to the barrel to make it legal length is a shitty way to do things, especially on an expensive upper like that.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:48:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Some where there is a post about barrel weight. I think the Noveske is heavier than an H-bar.

Yeah, it probably is.  I believe they run about 38 ounces for the Recon.

Wes Grant is the one who posted the weight.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:55:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

That depends on what barrel profile you like.  You can order Standard, Medium and Lightweight contours.

I have an Infidel upper with permanently attached KX3 flash hider on the way for myself.  Ordered 4 for my store, two standards, a medium and a lightweight, but haven't decided which one I want yet.  When I get them in, I can weigh them on a digital scale, if anyone is interested, but if I recall they're still a month or two out.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 1:52:17 PM EDT
[#10]
No expert on ballistics, barrel length/velocities, but would offer that the 14.5 bbl with permanent Flash suppressor would provide you a very versatile set-up

As a distance shooter, you may want to check out the guys in the precision shooter forum here. They know their stuff.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 1:53:56 PM EDT
[#11]
In addition to barrel contour, a longer barrel will give the bullet more velocity than a shorter barrel.  Look at it this way:
int v = velocity;
int b = barrel length;
int r = effective range;

if(b++ || b+-)
{
    v++;
    r++;
}
else
{
    v-- || v+-;
    r-- || r+-;
}
the || is OR.
-- means less
++ means more
+- means no change
Sorry, for some reason I put it in Java but the general idea gets across I think.

Basically you can reach out farther with a longer barrel.  If you want 500yds then go with the 18" SPR barrel.  the 16" barrels are only good to 300Meters or so.  Plus barrel length hardly affects accuracy.  Accuracy is inherent in the workmanship, shooter, etc.  Barrel length just determines velocity and stopping power.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 1:54:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Per Noveske.com web page:

16.1" RECON 5.56mm Barrel  
The 5.56mm Recon barrel comes standard in Stainless and features:
1 in 7" twist polygonal rifling
5.56 Noveske Match Mod 0 chamber
mid-length gas system
extended feed ramps
1/2x28 TPI muzzle threads
Bead blasted finish

Weight:
Standard 2 lbs, 4.2 oz
Medium 2 lbs, 1.6 oz
Light 1 lb, 15 oz

$370
http://www.noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/cart2/detail.cgi?item_id=recon2

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:14:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
In addition to barrel contour, a longer barrel will give the bullet more velocity than a shorter barrel.  Look at it this way:

Sorry, for some reason I put it in Java but the general idea gets across I think.

Basically you can reach out farther with a longer barrel.  If you want 500yds then go with the 18" SPR barrel.  the 16" barrels are only good to 300Meters or so.  Plus barrel length hardly affects accuracy.  Accuracy is inherent in the workmanship, shooter, etc.  Barrel length just determines velocity and stopping power.

Yeah i knew velocity would be lost in geting a 16 inch. ^ up a few posts and AUS said the 16 inch would optomize the gas system but dont most 18 inch varmint rifles's have a mid length gas system? if so then i  dont think the middy gas system would be too much of a problem on the rifle
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:51:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
int v = velocity;
int b = barrel length;
int r = effective range;

if(b++ || b+-)
{
    v++;
    r++;
}
else
{
    v-- || v+-;
    r-- || r+-;
}
the || is OR.
-- means less
++ means more
+- means no change

You need to hit the books some more and spend more time programming if you think that in any way resembles valid Java.  

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top