Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/7/2006 1:11:43 PM EDT
I have a new project that I'm building from spare parts. All I need is a buffer and a LPK. I went to all of the usual gunshops I frequent and they were all out of stock on LPK's. So today at lunch I drove around to the gunshops that I can't afford anything in, and they were all out too. Then the last gunshop I stopped into, which carry's Ed Brown custom rifles and $50,000 shotguns, the guy behind the counter asks me "Let me ask you something. Why are all you guys buying lower receivers nowadays?" I told him it was so "I could keep it under the wifes radar, build it from pay check to pay check, I can decide what I want on the rifle, I enjoy doing it...." He just rolled his eyes and took a phone call then ignored me. I'm sorry if I can't afford a brand new Colt, or a Les Baer Super Varminter, but he didn't have to act like that........... Guess I'll have to go to the internet and purchase one, and pay way less than what I was willing to spend in his shop today......

- Clint
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:23:25 PM EDT
[#1]
You will find that gun dealers that own brick and mortar stores don't understand this, or don't like it because it cuts into their profit margin.  I don't really think that they care about a customer unless they are spending $1000 or more.  The would do much better if they tried to cater to a wider audience than the $1000 shotgun, scoped hunting rifle, or $1000 used 1911's (not that there is an inherent problem with these firearms, it's just that some people aren't into them).  

That dealer wants you to buy the thing whole so that you get the whole gun from him.  He doesn't want you to buy the lower reciever from him, and then buy all the parts of the 'net because they are cheaper.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:19:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't buy all the parts off the 'net, I usually support my local gun shops.... A LPK is a necessity if you ask me, something all gunshops should have on the shelf. Right next to the scope covers and slings.  If I break something, how am I supposed to fix it? Buy a brand new Colt? LOL

- Clint
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:27:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I would have told him that my next "major" purchase would be somewhere else.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:51:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:33:56 PM EDT
[#5]
new-arguy you seem like a nice fella, maybe you can help me, all I need is 1 each of the following:

trigger guard                    
disconnector                      
trigger
bolt catch
mag catch button
mag catch
hammer
selector
trigger pin/hammer pin
takedown detent spring/pivot detent spring
selector spring
buffer retainer spring
disconnector spring
mag catch spring
pistol grip lock washer
takedown pin
takedown pin detent/ pivot pin detent
selector detent
bolt catch buffer
buffer retainer
trigger guard roll pin
bolt catch roll pin
hammer spring
pistol grip screw
and don't forget the pivot pin.....

I hear these are all inexpensive parts that most "big" gunshops that want my business are willing to part with to suck me in for an incedental purchase....

Do you want me to pay shipping? Or can you take care of that for me too?

Just playin' new-arguy, thanks for your comments......

- Clint
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:16:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
We sell a fair amount of LPK's and the profit margin on them are quite low,

Well, you just need to start selling your LPKs for 100.00 like a local shop here does.  That certainly would help on the margin

Seriously, you are to be commended on your attitude.  If there were more dealers like you, buying off the internet wouldn't be as enticing.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:30:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah I can buy a $44 DPMS kit for $70 at my local dealer, when he has them in stock... I think I'll give Denny's guns a call and have him ship me a CMT/Stag LPK with free shipping..... if I'm gonna wait it might as well be a good LPK....

- Clint
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top