Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/6/2006 8:11:14 PM EDT
This is my own personal SHTF/TEOTWAWKI carbine. I built it to serve a primary duty of defense. This carbine is built with one thing in mine, reliability. Only top quality, dependable, parts are went into this gun.

Lower

* LMT Defender 2000 (LEO marked) - LMT makes top tier AR parts. I really like these lowers, especially the basic/subtle markings and top quality reputation.
   * LMT LPK - This comes w/the lower. It's a good LPK so it stayed.
   * LMT single stage FCG - This is a SHTF/TEOTWAWKI carbine, a single stage makes sense here for reliability.
   * KNS trigger pins - A solution to a nonexistant problem? Maybe, but it's a nonexistant problem that I have a solution for. I like the way that they look too.
   * OD Magpul 93B Stock - I really like OD and wanted to give the 93B a try.
   * OD Magpul MIAD Grip - Ditto, I've heard good things about the MIAD and wanted to try it out. I like the way that it fills my hand as well.
   * Magpul trigger guard - A little extra room in the trigger guard is nice come winter. The RRA winter guard is too much, the stock one is too little, the Magpul is just right.
   * LMT carbine buffer - Does the trick, prefer an H2 or 9mm buffer but this should work for now.
   * LMT buffer spring - Came with the lower, it's not broke so why fix it?

Upper

* LMT upper w/M4 ramps - Matches the lower and barrel. Good quality upper too.
   * Global Tactical 16" Operator midlength barrel w/M4 ramps (5.56mm/.223, chrome lined) - I really like the midlengh gas system and the Operator is one of the best.
   * YHM Phantom 5C2 flash supressor - One of the best flash suppressors out there and has a nice CQB tip on it.
   * LMT M16 BCG - I prefer the fully shrouded nature of the M16 BCG. The LMT is a top quality BCG w/proper key staking.
   * McFarland 1-piece gas ring - Another reliability upgrade, even if only in theory.
   * Les Baer chrome extractor - Another reliability upgrade, even if only in theory.
   * Black heavy duty extractor spring insert - Another reliability upgrade, even if only in theory.
   * Wolff extra power extractor spring - Another reliability upgrade, even if only in theory.
   * LMT charging handle w/BO Model 2 latch - Te BO Model 1 is too much, the stock one not enough, the model 2 is just right (I sense a Little Red Riding Hood theme going on here). The PRI just doesn't seem right to me either.
   * Larue 9.0 free float hand guard - I wanted a quad rail so I could hang all my junk and I prefer FF rails. The Larue has what I consider to be the best attchment method, is a very high quallity rail, and has a nice QD attachment for a sling.

Sights/Optics

* Trijicon front sight - I prefer night sights for my pistols so why not for my carbine?
   * Troy BUIS - A nice simple BUIS that's not huge and fits the need. (GG&G pictured, Troy was still on order when the pictures were taken).
   * EOTech 512 mounted on Larue EOTech QD base - A very fast sight on the best EOTech riser you can get.

Accessories

* Streamlight TLR-1 - A great light at a great price. Also has the advantage of quickly swapping out to a pistol if need be.
   * 2-point 1.25" sling - Simple and gets the job done. QD attachments make it easy to remove.
   * Magpul rail & ladder panels - Nice texture for a sure grip, they stay in place, and match my stock/grip.

Well, there you have it. I shot it a few weeks ago (when it was still missing some parts) and had a blast. Now I really have an itch to go empty a case of Q3131... Anybody care to join me?

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:08:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice! At first the pictures didn't load for me
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:45:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I cannot imagine your rig missing any parts

Thats awesome, rebby!!!
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:23:55 AM EDT
[#3]
very nice stick sounds like you did your homework
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:15:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice Operator!

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:40:39 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
very nice stick sounds like you did your homework

I have a LOT of research hours into this carbine. I did a lot of research on this one and tried to pull in all the components that would make a very useful and very reliable carbine. I spent a lot of time looking at different guns here and in the industry to determine what features I wanted. I'm very happy with how it turned out. Now I just need to go and get it dirty which is proving to be somewhat difficult with a newborn in the house.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:33:25 AM EDT
[#6]
looks good!
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:37:45 AM EDT
[#7]
SSWWWEEETTT!!!
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:40:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:22:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:33:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Rebby

Great carbine.  All the good stuff.  It was my pleasure to be involved in a rifle this practical.  Function is what it is all about.  

Denny

You're not done yet. I think that I'm going to order a Troy BUIS from you this weekend. Oh, I NEED a bunch of other stuff too. Damn you Denny!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:16:44 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Rebby

Great carbine.  All the good stuff.  It was my pleasure to be involved in a rifle this practical.  Function is what it is all about.  

Denny

You're not done yet. I think that I'm going to order a Troy BUIS from you this weekend. Oh, I NEED a bunch of other stuff too. Damn you Denny!

+1 on the damn Denny!

I talked to him briefly Friday afternoon, busy guy, but based on that conversation and the timeframe of future Operator barrels I will be reconfiguing my Operator from the 13.2 LaRue to a 9.0.

I think the 13.2 railed upper will end up a Noveske Recon.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:27:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
+1 on the damn Denny!

I talked to him briefly Friday afternoon, busy guy, but based on that conversation and the timeframe of future Operator barrels I will be reconfiguing my Operator from the 13.2 LaRue to a 9.0.

What is the current Operator time frame?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:10:30 PM EDT
[#13]
nice rig all good parts, I would replace the rear sight with a troy and go with a different sling but that is just my preference.  Love the OD
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:39:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
nice rig all good parts, I would replace the rear sight with a troy and go with a different sling but that is just my preference.  Love the OD

Look up a few posts. I'll be getting a Troy from Denny shortly.

I'm open for input on the sling. I have no idea what I want for a sling in the end. I do have a preferance toward something simple.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:54:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Single point slings are all the rage now.  There is a guy on this board that makes and sells a single point sling that is supposed to be the heat...or whatever noun that describes "great."  It's made out of tubular nylon webbing (which is comfier and slicker so it won't give you sling-rash).
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:19:35 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
+1 on the damn Denny!

What is the current Operator time frame?

Sounds like none right now. Denny said Rock was having trouble finding Chrome Vandium steel for blanks. That's all I know.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:02:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Very nice setup!  
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 1:54:21 AM EDT
[#18]
5.56x39?

Looks great

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:10:16 AM EDT
[#19]
thats a great looking setup job well done
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:20:23 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
5.56x39?

Looks great

My bad. I was really pre-occupied while I typed that up... Good catch.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:55:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Finally got back out to the range. The first trip to the range was short but sweet. 100 rounds w/out a single problem. Yesterday was another story alltogether. The gun was having problems feeding when dropping the bolt on a fresh mag. This is the first time that I've used these mags and I didn't have any others with me at the time. They are new 12/05 D&H mags. Based on other threads I guess the mags could be the problem? I'll give it another go w/a few known good mags and I'm guessing that this problem will go away. I guess I now have a good excuse to try out the CProducts mags.

The rifle was also short stroking. The problem seemed to get worse the more that I shot so I guess it's very possible that I have a loose gas key. I have not had the rifle apart yet. I've read all of the Troubleshooing info on a short stroke and thus far, this seems the most plausable.

Needless to say it was a dissapointing trip to the range. At least I got the irons and EOTech sighted in. Just in time to swap the GG&G with the Troy too.

Over all, I'm happy with this build. I'm pretty sure that the problems I had were nothing major. I guess this just gives me an excuse for more range "testing"...
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:19:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Looks just like my own Operator Carbine, except I have these parts on it:

RRA CAR4 Tactical Upper
ST-15 Lower with Mil-Spec Trigger
Magpul M93B Stock with Strike Plate and Single Point Sling Mount
TangoDown Battle Grip
Troy MRF-C with Magpul XT Covers
YHM A2 BUIS
Eotech 511 .A65 Holosight
KAC Vertical Foregrip

Went to the range yesterday and put about 210 rounds through the rifle while zeroing the iron sights and the Eotech.

210 Rounds later - Oops!I think I overdid it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:58:05 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Looks just like my own Operator Carbine, except I have these parts on it:

RRA CAR4 Tactical Upper
ST-15 Lower with Mil-Spec Trigger
Magpul M93B Stock with Strike Plate and Single Point Sling Mount
TangoDown Battle Grip
Troy MRF-C with Magpul XT Covers
YHM A2 BUIS
Eotech 511 .A65 Holosight
KAC Vertical Foregrip

i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/Sablelieger/Others/DSC00959.jpg

Went to the range yesterday and put about 210 rounds through the rifle while zeroing the iron sights and the Eotech.

i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/Sablelieger/Others/DSC00947.jpg

i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/Sablelieger/Others/210-Rounds-Later.jpg
210 Rounds later - Oops!I think I overdid it.

Nice...
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:11:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quick question; how did you get the handguard cap off? I want to get rid of mine to make it easier for me to remove the lower rail on my Troy MRF-C for cleaning.

Or did you have the upper built without the cap to begin with?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:13:08 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Quick question; how did you get the handguard cap off? I want to get rid of mine to make it easier for me to remove the lower rail on my Troy MRF-C for cleaning.

Or did you have the upper built without the cap to begin with?

I left the handguard cap off when I built the upper.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:36:54 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Rebby

Denny

+1 on the damn Denny!

The reconfiguration is completed.
Before:

After:

The Noveske build hit a snag when the barrel nut locked up on the upper, replacement parts are on the way.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:50:09 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Rebby

Denny

+1 on the damn Denny!

The reconfiguration is completed.
Before:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/comp1911/Guns/Dsc00777.jpg
After:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/comp1911/Guns/Dsc00922.jpg

The Noveske build hit a snag when the barrel nut locked up on the upper, replacement parts are on the way.

That was quick! Looks somewhat familiar.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:05:47 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
That was quick! Looks somewhat familiar.

Yeah, great minds think alike.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:06:11 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

You need to remove the front sight base.  Something that isn't required for a Troy installation, but is required for a LaRue install.

You always have the dremel option
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top