Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/5/2006 6:34:27 PM EDT
Is there any substantial difference between upper recievers?

I know that there is a difference between A2 and A3 models also some have no forward assists.

What I wonder is there a difference between A3 receivers from different makers? Are some of them straighter or better made?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:40:16 PM EDT
[#1]
In my opinion, upper recievers are the most important part by far, and quality will have a direct effect on reliability and accuracy.  Never skimp on an upper.  Buy quality, a poorly made upper will be unreliable, have a crappy finish, and will probably not be accurate.  I only buy mil-spec uppers, as in uppers used by the military or made buy military producers such as Colt.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:44:10 PM EDT
[#2]
So is LMT different/better than CMT, or do the dealers prefer any one over another?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:27:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I own both CMT and LMT uppers. The only real difference that I can note between the two are the LMT logo and the finish. The CMT uppers have always had a slightly deeper/darker/better finish than my LMT uppers. Either will serve you well. It's worth noting that you can no longer get a new LMT upper stripped and that you can get the CMT either with or without M4 ramps.

Are you just looking for a high quality, well built, and easy to find upper for a build that you are doing? If so, get yourself a CMT and don't look back.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:20:20 AM EDT
[#4]
CMT is a major supplier of parts, including receivers, for Colt. You can't go wrong.

CMT = Stag
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:25:30 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
So is LMT different/better than CMT, or do the dealers prefer any one over another?

I wouldn't say one is better than the other but CMT receivers are less expensive and easier to get. LMT does not sell the upper receiver by itself. They only sell complete uppers (with barrel).

So if you're looking for just an upper receiver for a build then you're only choice is CMT. If you are looking for a complete upper I highly recommend the BCM uppers over the LMTs. Not that there is anything wrong with the LMTs and both of mine are perfect but Paul @ BCM has put together an outstanding upper at a great price and they are readily available from several venders and in several configurations!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:26:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I own both CMT and LMT uppers. The only real difference that I can note between the two are the LMT logo and the finish. The CMT uppers have always had a slightly deeper/darker/better finish than my LMT uppers. Either will serve you well. It's worth noting that you can no longer get a new LMT upper stripped and that you can get the CMT either with or without M4 ramps.

Are you just looking for a high quality, well built, and easy to find upper for a build that you are doing? If so, get yourself a CMT and don't look back.

What he said.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:00:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I think BCM has a new mid-weight barrel configuration, and I have not seen any range reports.

The 'problem' is that there are so many choices for different build configurations that it is hard to decide. Thus many shooters have multiple builds for different missions. I am unable to do that and am looking to find what would serve best for me.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:11:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I think BCM has a new mid-weight barrel configuration, and I have not seen any range reports.

The 'problem' is that there are so many choices for different build configurations that it is hard to decide. Thus many shooters have multiple builds for different missions. I am unable to do that and am looking to find what would serve best for me.

Lots to choose from for sure. The BCM middy would be a good start.

Here is mine.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:20:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Does anybody produce upper receivers from billet stock?

NTY
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:59:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Here is mine.

Looks great! Do you have a range report for accuracy? What ammo?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:12:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Here is mine.

Looks great! Do you have a range report for accuracy? What ammo?

Not yet. The lower it's on is from another build, I want to get a few more GTS lowers this month to finish it off. Then hopefully get some range time with it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:36:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Point me at BCM.  There isn't a "BCM" on the industry page and I'm too much of a FNG to know what BCM may stand for...
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:56:52 AM EDT
[#13]
BCM stands for "Bravo Company Manufacturing" - they're a dealer (and now a manuf. of uppers here on the site). Click on "Bravo Company" banner up near the top of the page. Paul is a great guy to deal with, he runs the show at BCM. Best of luck.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:15:21 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Point me at BCM.  There isn't a "BCM" on the industry page and I'm too much of a FNG to know what BCM may stand for...

Here is a link:

Direct Link to Bravo Company Upper Page
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:48:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Bravo Company

Do they make their upper recievers themselves?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:55:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Bravo Company

Do they make their upper recievers themselves?

No, they are using CMT uppers.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:40:08 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
BCM stands for "Bravo Company Manufacturing" - they're a dealer (and now a manuf. of uppers here on the site). Click on "Bravo Company" banner up near the top of the page. Paul is a great guy to deal with, he runs the show at BCM. Best of luck.

Very fast Replies!

Good service!
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:57:57 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

As soon as BCM makes a 14.5" with Phantom non-NFA gov't. profile upper, I'll buy one.

Looks like CMMG until then.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:01:09 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As soon as BCM makes a 14.5" with Phantom non-NFA gov't. profile upper, I'll buy one.

Dude, call denny, he has BCM 14.5 in stock and doesn perm phantoms in his shop.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:43:47 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:46:02 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top